Livonya's Beta 1.0 Mod.zip

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Apr 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Yes, it has. I haven't cast it yet, but it's back on my cleric's list of prepared spells.

Does anyone know if it's possible to pin Silence to an individual target in ToEE? If not, is there a way to remove the Saving Throw from the spell so it behaves more like its PnP counterpart? (If you can pin it to a target, then the saving throw has to stay or it becomes broken.)

2. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

No, it can't be changed, at least not with scripting. (as always I could be wrong, but I have worked with this spell quite a lot)

Oddly enough the code to "pin" Silence to an individual target does exist in the spell code, however, this never triggers in this way as Silence isn't cast so much as created.

Area effect spells that remain for multiple rounds such as Silence are actually invisible NPC/Objects that are created in combat and placed in combat. The spell is actually cast on this invisible NPC/Object. And that NPC/Object determines where the spell is at and what happens each round with the spell.

It is impossible to "pin" Silence to a target because Silence isn't a spell but an object. And an object can't be made to exist on a PC/NPC.

The saving throws are handled internally rather than by spell scripts.

I suppose it might be possible to completely change the way Silence is cast, so that it isn't an object. But then the Silence area would follow the target and there would be no spell effect.

Either way I don't think you can remove the saving throw as that is internal and not something done via scripts.

- Livonya

3. Bisrha

Bisrha Member

I have no idea how much work this would be, probably a lot, but would it be possible to make a new silence spell (new script) and then in the radial menu let the players choose between the original silence spell (area effect spell) or the new silence spell, that you can use to target a specific NPC). So you would get the same idea as for instance the resist energy spell, where you have to choose a "subspell". Or is this idea not feasable/total rubbish?

Bisrha

4. Kalshane

Okay, thanks for the explanation. As it stands now Silence isn't super usefull since it's only real use is against spellcasters and they have good Will saves, but it sounds like none of the alternatives within the limits of the engine are any better.

5. chad_freitag

chad_freitag Member

bullets

Just a minor thing. Is there a way to add some bullets to the smith's collection? My druid has been running on empty for a long time.

6. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

chad - doesn't the leatherworked sell them?

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Re: Silence...

...you ought to be able to target an individual, who then gets a saving throw...making the save causes the spell to be centered just behind the target; failing means it's 'pinned' to the target. This was how PnP silence worked, but I don't know if you can do this in ToEE. The radial menu option is ok...

...but if you can't make it exist on someone, how about making it exist in someone's inventory, rather like a familiar? It could go away once the duration expires...?

8. Kalshane

Just went to the Water Temple at 6th level. Only one juggernaut for me. Though I lost my ranger and my rogue in the fight and reloaded to an earlier game. Just hit level 7, will try the Water Temple fight again tomorrow.

(I probably wouldn't have lost anybody, but I was trying to goad the juggy away from the bodies of the dead priests so I could loot them after the fight. Every time I kill the juggernaut its body is inevitably over one or more of the priests so I can't loot them.)

9. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

hey Liv,

Did you take away Serena's ring of invisibility and rusty rapier?

just askin'

10. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

oops,

Never mind, Liv, I found them...

cool, by the way...

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I think the problem with Jaroo is related to the beggar maker reputation instead of what I said before.

12. Livonya

So was it a problem or something that should probably happen?

- Livonya

13. Kalshane

A couple of oddities I noticed last night involving giant spiders.

1) Everytime I had a party member in their face they would try to use their Web and fail the Concentration check. Is there a way to remove their requirement to "cast defensively" since it's not actually a spell? If not, is there a way to give them a Concentration score of 17 so they can never fail their roll?

2) The Deklo Grove quest does the same thing as the Earth temple snake quest, where if you've already killed random giant spiders you can tell the woodcutter you've already killed the spiders in the grove. (Not really a major problem, just figured I should mention it.)

14. Livonya

Yeah, Troika did most monster abilities as spells rather than as abilities. I have been trying to fix them all but it is a lot of tedious in many cases. I will fix both of these problems.

You can also Silence many monsters so that they can't use their special abilities...

Both are easy fixes... just need to identify them as things to fix.

I have been printing out all the problems that people have been reporting and then fixing them and crossing them off the list...

- Livonya

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

It's not a problem unless I want to steal the loot from his chest, 'cause if he notices and goes hostile, I have to fight a powerful druid with 1000 points of damage reduction! that would make him tougher than St Cuthbert!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!