Level 4 questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Scryler, Jan 28, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Don't forget, you're having fun! ;)

2. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

It's only fun when it's over. Right?

Or do you men chorkle when you are fighting?

I break teeth. And swear a lot. :censored:

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

You're having fun DURING the game. Afterwards, there's nothing to do.

Try. Fail. Think about it. Try again. GREAT FUN! ;)

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Method 1: increase dexterity. Cat's grace, gloves of dex.

Method 2: increase directly: cloak of resistance, spell "resistance".

Yeah, it the Co8 version the Balor summons stuff like in PnP. Vrocks, Glabrezu or even another Balor. Makes it more fun =)

Both Charm and Fear are checked against Will - try buffing Otis' wisdom before the fight. Also, don't you have another fighter with at least a +3 magic weapon?

Also, if you're high enough level, consider casting Heroism or Greater Heroism on your party - it negates Fear.

Other than that, summon a lot of stuff (he tends to attack the summons first), and load up on Magic Missles for your mage. If you have the Golden Orb and the other elemental gems, don't forget to summon the demon guardians to help you.

Don't worry, it takes a lot of tries, my first time it took me about 10 or so, but that was in vanilla, and my party members were 8th level or so. It's part of the fun. As soon as you get the sucker down to no HP, there's a surprise waiting :yes:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  5. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Computer selfdestruct in T minus 10 ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ...

In other words, set the game on 1024 x 768 or minimum detail or... whatever solutions there are to evade the infamous "Balor Crash".

Happy demonhunting :evilgrin:

6. maalri

maalri Immortal

@Scryler - regarding-- 2 problems: He or it keeps charming Otis. The only one who can really whack him.
    Everyone else misses over and over. And the fear thing.

The first time, I had a Balor summons to fight as well. So I had 2 balors to fight. And some Efreets. But not the second time.

Yes this happens a lot- try putting cloaks of resistance on your main fighters and who ever can cast Dispel magic too-

I really think having your Cleric up there with a Protection from evil will stop the Fear spell, DEFINITELY will stop the Charm.

and Yes, YES, YES- LOTS of Magic Missiles- remember you can put 1st level spells in 2nd, 3rd, and higher spell slots when memorizing, and sorcerers can cast 1st level MM even when they are showing 0 available IF there are higher level spell slots they can use up- its NOT a CHEAT - DnD is designed that way! Just stock up on Dispels (or even Charms to recharm) and Magic missiles with your caster(s).

But be prepared for only aobut 1-2 of the 5 MM bolts to actually hit... Spell Resistance sucks.

I always like it when the Balor summons the Quasits.. one good Chain Lightning and thats the end of his summoned creatures :)

Buffing a reflex can be done with Cat's Grace, or Mass Cat's Grace if you are high enough level, buffing Wisdom- Owl's Wisdom.

and this is the Hardest, most frustrating fight in the Game, according to MOST accounts, it is the CLIMAX really, not that the end and the end credits aren't fun, but it's all downhill after this fight, so ENJOY the fact that you BEAT it- when you do :)

Have fun, Queen.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  7. Reymar

Reymar Member

You can also charm Otis right back, Burne loves to charm if you attack him, the one time he landed a charm my sorceress just charmed the guy right back, hehehe.

That could be another spell that needs tweaking, you're supposed to get a +5 to save if the caster or the casters allies are hostile to the subject (pretty much always the case in TOEE), dunno if thats in effect or not.

Rey~

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I dunno, I got that crash only once, ever, in vanilla.

Then again, my current playthrough of 5.5.0 is being much less stable than 5.0.4 or 5.0.6, so who knows...

9. Scryler

It is. I can go lower. Should I?

I am switching from window mode to full screen.

I'm afraid I'd start kicking things and break a toe or something if it crashed after beating it.

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Think of it this way: you'll have more experience beating it on the next playthrough =)

Then again you don't HAVE to beat it, but you'll be missing out of the FUN!

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

If you want real fun, imo, play it (the entire game, really) Iron Man style. (Don't actually play 'Iron Man,' just impose the same rules on yourself in normal mode.) This means that if you lose to the Balor, that's it. It's over. :)

Much more compelling than the do-over approach. Wouldn't it be neat (and dramatic) to think that some parties don't make it, after all?

12. Scryler

If I had the skill and knowledge, maybe so. But I am learning how to use spells, buff, all that stuff. It might not be the party...it might the the person controlling the party.

I am making an assumption that you are talking to other players with much more skill and experience than I have, no?

13. maalri

maalri Immortal

Actually Srcyler- Ironman can be fun for all- with some ... forethought

First of all- I like Ironman because of the 1 roll and done and more "real" feel of the game, but - there are times when you do NOT want to give up the time you invested, because of a computer glitch, a bug, or just simple inexperience in which a DM in a regular PnP game would be forgiving, or even would have advised you against it in the first place... so

If any of those type occurances should happen, you can quit out the game by the X in the corner of the windowed mode. Then you can just restart from your last spot in Ironman.

That being said, I haven't had any luck with Ironman with the 5.5.0 mod... had to go Normal...

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I wouldn't try Ironman in 5.5.0 - too many CTDs.

15. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

Well like Gaear said; Don't actually play 'Iron Man,' just impose the same rules on yourself in normal mode.

That way no (well some proberly) CTDs.

Our Host!