Let's Talk About Hickory Branch

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Mar 25, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I can't recall if Allyx posted this publically or not, but he has become semi-retired from managing the CMF again due to continuing RL issues. Therefore, I have at least temporarily assumed the role of CMF guy, and by extension potential Co8 v6 and rebalancement guy. I am in the middle of some fairly aggressive modding for a variety of things in ToEE right now, so a new CMF is probably a ways off, but it hasn't been abandoned.

Inasmuch as I have been pondering rebalancement, I was thinking of proposing to reposition HB yet again. The short version of the overall concept, as yet in its infancy, is this: put HB at the very-near beginning of the game; put Verbomod near the end of the game (after Hedrack, before Nodes and Zug); leave Moathouse Respawn in the middle where it is. This would in theory help to rebalance by lessening the XP bulge in the middle of the game by two-thirds, add XP to the end of the game (where it becomes hard again with the suped up bosses), and in the case of HB, add XP to the start of the game (where it is hard), and possibly offer a substitute for the dreaded Hommlet fed-exing, which starts the game off in such lackluster fashion. It would also provide a more RP-appropriate set of tasks for evil-aligned parties, who wouldn't likely be interested in gathering converts for St. Cuthbert and whatnot.

Now, being as this thread is about HB specifically, here is the plot that I had in mind for that (since it doesn't yet have one): Hommlet leaders have knowledge that an unaccountably well-organized and abnormally integrated group of raider type humanoids (consisting of low level monsters - goblins and kobolds, and maybe a few skeletons) is conducting persistent raids along trade routes in the area east of Hommlet, possibly in conjunction with the existing bandit reports, and are encamped at an area known as Hickory Branch. Scouting reports have shown this group to be a bit too large for the badgers and/or local militia to take on themselves. Plus, it's not known where their organization comes from. The party goes there at the behest of the quest-giver (whomever that might be) and fights a variety of groups of these monsters. (This could actually be challenging for a level 0 party.) The party ultimately discovers that their leader, maybe located in the HB crypt, is some above average intelligence undead creature - just a zombie most likely, but one with an identity and some dialogue. Specifically, he could be the reanimated corpse (reanimated through whatever means - maybe Lareth did it and put him to work out there) of a former bandit leader type, hence his ability to marshal the base level humanoids. We could give him some daunting name and make him challenging enough that fighting him serves as the 'boss battle.' Maybe get HK to do a custom portrait for him to make him unique, and add a handful of hobgoblins as his entourage. The party kills him, clears out HB, gathers a bit of treasure and heads back to Hommlet and the awaiting accolades of its citizens. Now that they've shown they can take care of small problems, the party is ready for something a bit more serious in the form of the Moathouse.

This would of course mean that krunch has to re-mob HB yet again in fairly dramatic fashion. We would also have to substantially reduce treasure. And the overall concept of HB as a challenging mid-level adventure would have to be scrapped in favor of something less ambitious. But I believe it would help the early game significantly as detailed above, and it would add to the game story, and it would be a place to showcase Co8's custom kobolds, which don't really appear elsewhere in ToEE in significant fashion.

So ...

@krunch - What do you think? If you were game, I'd be willing to handle the story-related stuff - dilaogue, quest hooks, etc. - for you. You of course have the authority to either green-light this or not, being as it's your mod.

@everybody else - Like the idea? Hate it? See lots of pros? See lots of cons? Got other ideas? Let's hear what you have to say.

One last thing: krunch, as reward for your cooperation, I'd also be willing to come up with a new custom soundtrack for you for the HB maps. Something morose and undead-y. ;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Cool :cool:

Also, not to offend anyone, but the map could have a bit of polishing makeup... it looks a bit rough compared with other (i could do it :eyebrow: , i'm dying to try mi hand at maps) and out of scale -look at the barrels-. Maybe add some strange ruins, columns or broken statues, to have it more connected with the underground crypt?

I don't know about the undead creatures... it should be made very careful, to not have another Emridy meadows. Instead of a zombie, we could have a vampire has a leader, that would be proper (a low level one, maybe a 3 lvl creature plus the HD of vampire), and have a relation with the Thrommel confusion.

If it will stay as it is (lots of green creatures ;) ), could it be pointed thru the orc caves quest...dunno, a note or something. Again, they will be related.

Or going completely nuts, and have a "respawned Hickory"! :aaaa:
    In any case, let's hear what Krunch has to say about that ;)

3. Gaear

Speaking of this, I'm given to understand that krunch has a new version of the crypt map, as polished up by VP. So that should be very nice.

I too am keen on getting a new outdoor map for HB for the same reasons HK stated, plus I don't like the idea of us re-using resources from other games. To that end, I was wondering if a new outdoor area could be built from existing ToEE resources, like Ted has done with KotB maps. Or, as HK suggests, let him have a go at polishing up what's there. I'd really like to have something that's not beholden to Diablo or whatever in any way, though, so if HK were to do any polishing, maybe it could be done over something else that's 'new,' so to speak, like a custom krunch or Ax Thrower framework style map.

4. Half Knight

Well, a "clean" map shouldn't be that hard to do, since there are lots of maps already in ToEE.
    The trees and bushes and all that it's, to be honest, the easiest thing to remesh, more than armors or anything else.
    Plus, with photoshop you can EASILY stitch together different maps tiles; for example, the ruined house near the temple, could be added to HB map, and flipping horizontally, and with a little bit of fiddling, could be reused a lot of times, each one being different.

The earth altar always looked awesome to me, maybe it could be used as a Ziggurat-like type of entrance to the crypt (with the sacrifice table of the temple's main floor...something like Zuggtmoy throne !)

5. Gaear

Funny, I was thinking of precisely the ruined house map myself, but as the entrance to the crypt. :p

Re: the leader, are vampires even allowed to be low level? I'm rather partial to the idea of him being moreso a soldier of some sort, being as HB is combat-heavy in nature and his group would theoretically be raiders. Plus, we've already got the priest-as-leader thing at Emridy. Imagine a zombie in full battle armor, with a nasty disposition and a punishing maul to match. :) Maybe in life he was a prized officer in Lareth's troops, so much so that it was worthwhile to go to the trouble of reanimating him. He could be said to retain all of his combat expertise (not the feat, specifically), but none of his former humanity, limited as it may have been before. In other words, a soulless, merciless, and utterly dead battle general that likes 'life' better on the other side. :nervous: All we'd need to top him off is a properly modulated voice set that adds a rattle to his throat and a demonic undertone to his low-frequency range. ;)

We could certainly do away with any skeletons and just limit his troops to humanoids, btw.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

In 3.0+ you can add the vampire template to any creature IIRC, and of any level, they do retain combat abilities they knew in life, gain undead immunities (and a CR boost of +2) to go with thier level draining natural attacks (which could be modded in with a little work and flair) and thier racial disadvantages, but who wants to walk in the sunshine anyway? ;)

From a game rules perspective, a vampire boss is more likely than a semi-intelligent zombie boss, perhaps Lareth used a scroll of create undead to make him? Or simply encountered a vamp and rebuked him.

7. Half Knight

Yeah, that map it's awesome. maybe i could make a quick "sketch" (a simple copypaste) to how it would look :)

Sure.
    "Vampire" it's a template, it could be added to any lvl creature (i had a legendary encounter in pnp with a vampire halfling). You can do a 1ยบ levl fighter and add the vampire template (i don't remember well, i think it added +4 to the callenge rating) which will add more abilities and hit points, etc. This could be achieved easily in protos.
    A good detail would be having the "zombie_eating" effect for an attack...which i think it could be done ;)

Aah, but Liv's "skeleton priest" it's completely out of rules :)
    I love it, and actually, there are lots of skeleton-like caster creatures of that kind.

Or seeing as Lareth it's chaotic evil, and Lloth have a taste for "punishing with unrest" forms, it could be a powerful enemy turned to undeath as a mockery.

No normal zombie would do what you ask (at least by rules)... BUT, there are lots of zombie-like creatures: Crypt Spawns, usually evil creatures that accepted death to be raised later for some purpose, or Ravenants, creatures brought back as undead that fight mercilessly only for revenge, and my favourite (and the one that would match what you have in mind) are Cursts (another template).

A Curst, it's a creature raised with two purposes: punishment or bless.
    As a prized officer, could have been raised as a bless to keep fighting.
    As a hated enemy, could have been raised as a punishment, to prevent him from resting.
    In any case, they become tired at some point, and only want to rest, going to the point of killing their "creator" if they need to (in that moment, they are utterly destroyed).
    They have intelligence, retain every feat and skill and alignment, and gain undead benefits.
    He could be a perfect General (with punishing maul and everything ;) )

And maybe could join the party, to face Lareth and get some rest! :D

8. Gaear

Well, whatever we might call it, let's keep it simple. In application, it needn't be anything more than a fighter, basically. The rest is just story to enrich the plot. I would think he would look no different than a fighter in-game because he'd be wearing armor and so on.

I'm kind of put-off by the vampire idea because it seems too prosaic, for one. Especially for the ToEE early game. Whatever the party discovers at the heart of HB should be interesting but not all that dangerous or monolithic at that stage. Plus, vampires are just, I don't know...I associate them with games like VtM when I think of them now. Plus, ultimately again, it doesn't need to be anything more than just an undead guy who's in charge over there. Levels and draining effects and all that are unnecesary complications, imo. It should hurt a little more to fight him than a regular guy just because he hits hard, and that's it. And he should be interesting to encounter because he's got a backstory and some dialogue, not because he's got x levels of y skill and x percent chance to do y critical hit range thing or whatever, etc., etc. Know what I mean?

Anyway, we should probably hear what the captain has to say before we get too far along. Good input though. :)

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

A third vampire for ToEE? :no:

Otherwise I for one like this idea :)

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

11. Half Knight

Hey, we can change the fiendish minotaur for a fiendish werewolf...and give him a hat! :giggle:

12. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

A couple of notes on the maps,
    the outdoor map that was used is actually a diablo mod tutorial map, as I ran across it myself during my wanderings on the internet... the only thing Krunch used was the map itself and the tiles to create the objects on screen...

as to the new Crypt map... that actually originated on my PC, it is a multi-teer map with partial walls on staircases, dropoff edges on the edges of the maps to give illusion of walls and was made using world builder.. it is truly a change from the initial mapping style of TOEE and was made to give the idea of going deeper underground, of course extensive VP'ing has probably been done but it is a unique ideolgy On the same line of the Orcs caves but on a more severe descent into the depths almost like the mines of Moria...

13. Half Knight

Don't worry, the outdoor map shouldn't be that hard to "fix". Not to offend you Ax-T, but personally i would like something that does not belong to anybody except us. We could just change the jpgs, to match exactly what's in there, but with our own style.

The crypt map actually, it's really cool, it's awesome (i went half mad, looking for a secret door to the small chamber; we could be really fiendish, and put a treasure chest, or a ornated coffin there :twisted: )
    I found it a bit out of place tho, so, what do you say, instead of retouching it, just add a new one?
    I mean, and extra floor, so you'll go thru:

1-Outdoor map (maybe some statues or some hidden detail, to give the impression that's there's something more beneath)
    2-Extra floor, maybe a small one, still with some foliage, and we could throw a few fungus and undead (mummys?); we could see some of the base structure of the crypt here, like stone floors and columns
    3-Finally the crypt!

14. Gaear

You needn't worry about the crypt map at all, HK, because it's already been/being retouched by VP. :)

I see krunch has been here and not replied, btw, like in the days of the TotWC discussion. krunch, we've all got lives to lead here, and I for one don't particularly appreciate being put off, especially when all you'd need to do is say 'yea,' 'nay,' or 'hold on I'm busy atm.' I'm not going to play this game a second time, so if you don't respond during your next visit to the boards I'll consider the idea a no-go and we'll begin pondering other workarounds. At that point, you will be out of the loop. I should warn you also that there's no guarantee HB can just remain where it is if it somehow doesn't accomodate the neccesary rebalancing.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I could not sleep. So, I went ahead and read over the thread.

First, the HB map does not exist anywhere but here. So, no, it was not a tutorial map. I made an entirely new mod for diablo that only I have, I never gave to anyone or shared it and, as a part of my new mod for diablo, I made an entirely new game screen from scratch using diablo modding tools. I took a snapshot of the game screen and saved it as a jpg. I cropped it and did some touch-up. Then, I brought it in to ToEEWB. So, this is enough on that.

Otherwise, if what is in this thread is what you want to do, that's fine. However, I am not interested in that. The fiendish minotaur gets scrapped, the two new types of hell hounds get scrapped, and the lich gets scrapped. The other stuff I really don't care about all that much. You can do to with my mod as you want, see fit or care to make changes.

I hope the Best for you all.

-krunch

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
Our Host!