Learning how to get a new spell in game

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by vampiricpuppy, Jun 7, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

Tried -2 as a value and it worked :D

yay!

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hmmm... well you probably don't want to be using my spells as an example ;) But if by 'de-buffing' you mean adding negatives instead of positives, then yeah, sure. What I meant was removing a buff or condition: even Dispel Magic doesn't remove conditions, it adds the 'Dispel Magic" condition. Painful way to operate :no:

As for adding negative values - if there is a value specified it can be changed! So yeah, go for it. And as for just sticking straight numbers rather than elongated variables - again, try it and if it works, it works. I went the variable route since it means the least number of changes to a script I already knew worked, but I am out of my comfort zone on spells so I try to do the minimum changes that way.

EDIT: Ahh, didn't read the post over the page. Disregard :p

3. vampiricpuppy

Nono, thats all good info :D

Debuff is a term that a lot of MMO players use to describe a spell with a negative effect, so if you've managed to escape the evil of WoW and kin so far, its not a surprise if im confusing you with this strange language :D

more dots!

ahem.

But yeah, very helpful info.

With regards to dispel magic, is there a way to make a spell immune to the effects of being dispelled by dispel magic in particular? Probably hopelessly complicated, im sure :D

Reason i ask is i'm trying to implement Curse of Impending Blades, and its very simple apart from the fact that it is immune to dispel magic.

For people's balance enquiries ill list the stats

Ok, so its definitely not a powerful spell, -2AC is pretty weak for lvl 2. The key is the lack of a save, and to a lesser extent, the immunity to dispel magic.

Theres a mass version at lvl 3, 20ft burst - considering you can get a fireball instead, id still say thats balanced :)

4. vampiricpuppy

Spell effect, mass version isnt in game yet, but shouldnt take too long :)

[​IMG]

5. Shiningted

Ooo, thasssa nice effect!

So 'debuff' is a WoW term I'm ignorant of? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :eyebrow:

6. vampiricpuppy

thats a matter of perspective :D

ummmm, shield was a bad choice on my part, as my new spell seems to confer immunity to magic missile :p

ill try mage armor instead!

7. vampiricpuppy

single target works fine, mass version CTDs on level up. blahhh, maybe i should start using worlded :p

Interestingly, when using the mage armor effect for the curse as well as mage armor, you end up with the correct AC value :) so they stack fine!

8. vampiricpuppy

ok, since my game is becoming more and more borked, im going to try a couple more spells, then post the files and re install.

I've lost the textures for spell targeting somehow now :roll:

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

hehe, dots are awesome

@ted, I always called spells like bane a debuff even before wow, its kinda like the way undead is to dead. I think it was even in the hand book some where.

and dots stand for Damage Over Time, so it would be a harmful spell with a damaging effect which lasts for more than 1 round, a hot is its opposite. I'm not sure if there are any in dnd but they would work.

10. Shiningted

Ahhh, see I had no idea... there are certainly damage-over-time spells, Melf's Acid Arrow comes to mind, or poison or contagion (where you get a secondary damage thing). Heal-over-time, only regenerating comes to mind.

11. vampiricpuppy

or the vigor line from the spell compendium! :D

12. Shiningted

Ooo, casting Threadromancy on the Spell thread: so ironical :gotmyatte

Just announcing I am on another Spell jaunt: I will be using 785-799 as previouly identified by Gaear as being open.

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Do a EnhancedFireball with 1d10/level damage and big radias. 6th/7th level for insane wizards like me.

14. Shiningted

You know, if I had a ludicrous amount of free time (I currently have less than none) I could probably come up with a thing that let you research higher level spells, within very narrow limits, such as 'choose damage type, choose how big, choose delivery method (Ray, Cone, AoE etc), pay exorbitant research cost, level gets calculated and here you go!'.

But I don't have the time. Maybe I can do Meteor Swarm :shrug:

15. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I'm retired and I do have huge amounts of free time. Maybe it's time to do some research and check out the files. I need a new project anyway.

Our Host!