Lareth's gear gone?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by acemcjack, Feb 6, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

Hi,

Is Lareth's gear gone for good if he's captured in Hommlet? Does that mean you can't trigger the assassin path?

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

It is gone. You can take it from him before he leaves the group and gets captured. All you need to sell is the boots in order to start the quest.

3. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

Thanks!

It's a shame it isn't stored somewhere in Burne's quarters or something.

Ah well...

4. Acrux

Acrux Member

Can you tell more about this "Lareth's gear" quest? I've never known about it existing until the comments this past week, and I generally sell off his stuff, except for the plate mail and staff, once I get back to Hommlet.

Does it take a while for this assassin encounter to kick in? I've never, ever encountered it.

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

You basically need to sell something of Lareth's to the traders. I usually sell the boots since they are worth little to other merchants, and sell his other goods to Bro Smyth since he pays the best for the weapons and armor that I don't use.

At some point, while traveling, an assassin with attack you on the road and you need to kill him. Its generally a difficult fight if your low level since he goes for your casters.

You will find a note on his body, or he will tell you in dialogue, that the traders sent him after you. Can you confront the traders, or tell Burne about them. If you attack the traders, they will flee and you will fight them + friends in your house in Nulb at a later time.

6. Acrux

Acrux Member

Ahh...okay. Well, that explains why I never see the assassin -- I usually just make Bro. Smyth my one stop shopping experience. I'll have to try that this time around, since I'm just about to Lareth at this point anyway.

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Yeah - the assassin doesn't take very long to appear, especially recently. The Assassin triggers as soon as you sell the stuff to the Traders, and then can show up as a RE anytime after that (could be the very next trip, or a bit later; in 5.6.0 I've been getting him on 1-3 trip out of town). Just pray you're lucky enough to not have him launch a surprise attack.

8. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I think with a super high survival skill you can find him in front of a campfire and you get first attack. I think that is the one thing rangers might be good for in the game.

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ That, or you can have a mage roll a luckily high initiative and then pray that a Hold Person/Ghoul Touch successfully disables the Assassin for a CdG.

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Cast Dominate. He makes a good party member. ;)

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

If you HAVE dominate at than point in game. I usually meet the guy at party level 3-4, no dominate, and Charm doesn't last long enough.

I'd rather charm Smigmal and her two assassins, but there's that crazy bug... I really hope that the jerkstop with charmed assassins get fixed in next release.

12. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

If you want to quite easily wax the assassin every single time you meet him, he is exceptionally susceptible to the laughing spell. Fails his save about 99% of the time.

13. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Since Tasha's Laughter uses the exact same save as Hold Person, I'd rather go for the latter, because you can't CdG someone afflicted with Laughter, IIRC.

14. mooses

mooses Member

Hey did you know theres a glitch with dominate person, animal, and monster? like, after you cast the spell and they are in your party, level them up. They should be able to level as soon as you cast the spell. And then use the consol to give them like, 0 constitution, and keep messing around with the (stat_constitution,X) and the (stat_hp_max.X) and then in a safe area rest for a few days to let the spell expire. Then they will be dead, but the spell will be gone and if you use the consol to give them 18 constitution, or more they will be alive and in your party forever!!! however you need room in your party. like if you set the 5.5.0 mod to have up to 5 starting people and 3 npc's, you need one of the first 5 slots open, so you would have to start the game with 4 or less people. Im sorry if it confuses you, just mess around with it. So far there are 3 people that I know of that this glitch wont work on. ! sir. Juffer from the temple prission. If you talk to him in your party, he will dissapear but his slot will still be taken. 2 prince thrommel, he will leave. and 3, ANY type of balor cause when they die they disappear.

15. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ Or, w/o using the exploits, you can just as easily re-cast the spell every time after rest. I once ran a party with a Sorcerer specializing in Enchantment, I had an army of 3-5 gritty crits following me at any time.

Our Host!