Lareth Question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ranth, Jul 28, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I don't know about currently, but it would seem extremely unlikely in the TotWC expansion that Lareth would be around that long.

You could pickpocket Lareth's stuff and sell it, couldn't you? I have a sneaking suspicion that the assassin conditions are hardcoded in some way - I can't find any direct control files for it in a casual search anyway.

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Yes, Seleucas is Lareth's lieutenant.

Yes, Lareth runs away if you go down the stairway from the Temple ground floor to dungeon level 1.

I cannot figure out any way to test Lareth on dungeon 2 or 3 because the sentry will only give the option of "Lareth, what are you doing here?" regardless of whether or not you talked with Wat. Then, of course, you get your ass handed to you as you go against the Tower troops plus Lareth.

Ah, but what happens if you succeed in having him stop combat? He tried to do so during my test but then it just resumed.

Edit: Rescuing Lareth is part of a mod, correct? Just curious, who did it and applied it to which generation?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  3. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Basil,

My other idea is to save Lareth from R&B tower but only after you clear Lareths tower of his guards, and then go through that way to lvl 3. Not surei f it would work though.

4. Basil the Timid

It will not work because the instant you leave the Tower his dialog will be triggered where either he leaves you or he takes you to the tower and becomes a merchant.

Ah, perhaps you can teleport out of Burne's tower (and never return to Hommlet).

What a PITA!

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I think Lareth needs a major re-write with all the strange happenings. He should join and stay with an evil party, not lead them to a game ending ambush. A simple dlg file change will keep him from running off, but I don't know about the rest of it.
    The pnp module says if he is killed and any of his stuff turns up then an Assassin of 10th level will come after the killers. The bastard always kills my wizard so I avoid it until way later in the game. I hate it, but it's part of the game and certainly can't be removed.

6. Basil the Timid

Wizgeorge, doesn't Lareth try to stop the "contest"? My party was only four level 3 guys and he tried to stop it but for some reason the battle resumed in the middle of his dialog. Perhaps because the glitterdust I cast was still in effect???

7. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Contest? Which contest?

8. chano

chano Established Member

The staircase in the middle of the temple goes down to Air Temple on level 2.

9. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I'm also wondering if I can sneak him in through the burned out house to the left of the Temple.

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Lareth fought with the tower gang and there was no pause or dialouge to stop. Actually won the fight with no dead. Somewhat of a small miracle at level 4. Had to rest for 9 days to heal up from that one. If Fruella hadn't killed the leader it would have endgame dead.
    Before we went to the tower we went to Nulb and talked to Rentsch and he said talk to the sentry. The sentry talked about Lareth and we went in and the fight started. Is the dialouge different if Lareth's not there or is Rentsch part of the setup/trap?

11. Basil the Timid

If Lareth is not there, the dialog is different. The Sentry will take you to meet Romag or Alremm.

Can you access the secret entrance to Falrinth's lair from the outside? I thought that entrance required you to approach from below first.

By "contest", I am referring to Lareth's ambush with his Tower buddies. He calls it "The Proving Grounds".

I'll try to check out the spiral staircase test.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  12. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

You can access Falrinth's lair from the brunt farmhouse entrance once you find it. You can enter the side door of the temple and make your way down to the third level and find the exit out to the brunt farmhouse and tower which leads you pass Falrinth and Smigmal. The other way is through the tower. If you can sneak your way to the secret exit in the tower you can reach Falrinth. If your rogue can successfully find and sneak to the secret tower exit, you can avoid the battle in the tower. The secret exit leads both to the brunt farmhouse and level three.

13. Basil the Timid

Taking Lareth down from Temple Ground Floor directly to level 2 Air Temple DOES work!

14. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

The other thing I want to try is the following:

1) Join with Lareth at the Moathouse
    2) Lose him in Hommlet
    3) Go to the tower w/ Lateth guards and tell them you will return with him. (This should trigger Lareth in B&R tower).
    4) Walk out of tower, walk back in and kill Lareths guards.
    5) Rescure Lareth from B&R Tower
    6) Take him to his tower and see if he reacts to his guards being missing, or if he attacks or becomes a merchant without them.

I really just want to Lareth in my party and smite things.

15. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Basil

Did you take him after joining with him at moathouse or after saving him from burnes tower?

Our Host!