KOTS Challenge!

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by anatoliy, May 24, 2021.

Remove all ads!
Tags:
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Wizards should indeed have all knowledge skills as class (its sorcs who only get Arcana), but Anatoliy has sensibly only given Dungeoneering as a class skill, as its the only one that is supported in the mod.

anatoliy likes this.
  2. Sagenlicht

Sagenlicht Established Member

I will try your challenge the next days, when I found some time @anatoliy. Will post a vid of the try.

Thank you for doing it :)

anatoliy likes this.
  3. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

I tried a couple more times, and was able to get through with everyone intact and with lower resource usage.

Are you sure the randomized stats are 8-14? In one of my attempts one of the random 3 hp orcs one-shot my fighter. I looked at the roll and it said 2d4=8 +6 strength. So that seems to suggest it rolled a 22 (18+4) strength.

anatoliy likes this.
  4. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

It's more than that.
    Stats are rolled between 8 and 14, and then +4 STR racial trait is added for Orcs and Gnolls.
    https://github.com/anatoliy-savchak...kots_core/scr/py06603_keep_encounters.py#L227

5. anatoliy

Congrats!

Can you share your tactics and thoughts how to beat them?

6. dolio

I was also finding that the castle guards did a lot of work.

For my guys, I have the guarisame fighter set up in the castle gates. Then one of the mages casts Enlarge Person, and the fighter threatens pretty much all the enemies that rush in. I gave the fighter Combat Reflexes for plenty of opportunity attacks. This pretty much means that enemies can't approach without getting attacked.

The cleric blessed everyone and then just posted up behind the fighter in case any enemies tried to run through the gates.

After that, grease just beyond where the fighter is standing gives a further advantage briefly. Sleep could probably be used instead, since that knocks people prone, and makes other units spend their turns waking them up.

I had the beguiler use obscuring mist, but I'm not sure how effective it was. It's hard to aim, since you get no targeting feedback before it's cast. It might be nice to change the targeting to be more like bless, so you can see what it's going to do before casting.

I also tried to occupy the higher level guy some way. I think in the one I won clean, I was able to charm him with the beguiler, so he wasn't a factor. But he's also pretty susceptible to Daze, which takes him out of combat for a round.

anatoliy likes this.
  7. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

In the original KOTC, I won this with 2 Half-Elf Wizards (who have the stats of 3.5's Gray Elf Wizards) and 2 Human Clerics.

anatoliy likes this.
  8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

8-14 +4 doesn't explain a +6 Str bonus, or am I missing something? Weilding a weapon two-handed maybe?

anatoliy likes this.
  9. dolio

Ah, that must be it. I'd forgotten about that rule. Falchions are two handed.

anatoliy likes this.
  10. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Weapon Specialization also gives +2 damage per hit with the chosen weapon. It's probably not this.

11. Sagenlicht

Ok here we go:

Standard low level tactics were used.

Builds (all 32 point buy)
    Human Fighter
    18 Str, 16 Dex, EWP: Spiked Chain, Combat Reflexes, CE (of no relevance on level 1)
    Human Wizard
    18 Int, 16 Dex, SF: Conjuration, GSF: Conjuration
    Relevant Spells: Grease
    Human Bard
    18 Cha, 16 Dex
    PBS, Precise Shot
    Inspire Courage

Last slot is irrelevant, I used a second wizard, evocation spec'd. A cleric would be better, simply for bless, but I tend to play without clerics.

In a full game the last slot would be a rouge/ranger.

Enjoy

Side note: the module includes portrait packs which seem to override my custom portraits even though I use the Temple+ option on how to use custom portraits. Makes me a sad panda :(

Edit: The DC on Grease is 17:
    10 Base
    +1 Spell Level
    +4 Int
    +1 SF
    +1 GSF
    A level 1 fighter has a 15% Chance to save against Grease. Or in other words: one in about eight saves. Grease is Cheese :)

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    anatoliy likes this.
  12. anatoliy

First round your party and allies should be surprised. Well, I'm surprised that it's not))

Guards are walking around - it means that you are using latest T+ build. Sitra allowed my commit with scripted waypoints.

As for the custom portraits - yeah, IDs are overlapping, I also use custom portraits, which are already included. It can be fixed either by modifying your overrides or mine.

Overall - clever fight :)

I guess we need to find out why these modifiers do not work.
    https://github.com/anatoliy-savchak/toee.zmod.kots/tree/main/zmod_kots_core/scr/tpModifiers
    Surprised2.py - actual surprised condition, lasts one round.
    SurpriseRound2.py - attacker's surprise condition, allows half action, lasts one round.

13. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Hmm, aren't custom portraits indexed by their folder? How would they overlap?

14. Sagenlicht

Yeah it's my fault, I use the Temple+ option for my new portraits and forgot to migrate my old ones that are still using the old custom_portrait id's.
    Sorry for that.

15. dolio

I did get surprised every time, FYI. I'm probably not on the absolute latest T+, but close to it.

anatoliy likes this.
Our Host!