KotB Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jul 23, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Well, they usually weigh half as much, and thus are less encumbering.

You know, that paragraph propelled me into ranting at length on special encounters, the design goals thereof and desired probabilites, but then I realized that with the optional Co8_config.ini, you can have your cake and eat it too. So I'm going to add a "make Special Encounters less rare" toggle, should please everyone, no?

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

It doesn't have to go to waste... it's always good to have more than one way to skin a particular cat... ;)

3. edmortimer

edmortimer Occupy Wall Street

Weight. While true that the Little People can have strengths of 18 and more . . . for me it just doesn't seem right that some half-pint who I can barely see on my screen can be strong enough to carry 100 pounds and more -- especially when some barely weigh a third of that. It's just a realism thing for me, is all. Little People have it rough enough with their light weapons. It would be nice if their armor didn't limit them down as well.

I see your point, though. More important things to do.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, weight is a good point :) An overhaul of the goblin and kobold armours will have to wait for a future major release, though, it can't be 'patched' without it being one of those 'first you have to delete this folder here....' type patches which we generally try to avoid.

5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Father Leamus (Priest) has a Ring of Protection +1 in his Chest. As the finale of the Who's Raiding the Trading? quest, given that Father Leamus is expecting a confrontation with the player's party, surely Father Leamus would wear his Ring of Protection +1 in preparation for the expected confrontation with the player's party in order to increase his chance of survival.

During the One Flew Over the Harpy's Nest quest, if the player selects dialogue response number 2 in the image below

[​IMG]

then if the player selects dialogue response number 2 in the image below

[​IMG]

then the player will have the following dialogue responses in the image below

[​IMG]

which will allow the player to kill Lady Maeri legitimately (i.e. Lady Maeri will attack the player's party). But if the player selects dialogue response number 1 in the second image, then the player will have the following dialogue responses in the image below

[​IMG]

which prevents the player from killing Lady Maeri legitimately. It is impossible for the player to know which dialogue responses that the player has to select in order to be able to kill Lady Maeri legitimately, and it is unfair that the player is punished for selecting the dialogue response that uses one of the player's PC's social skills. I recommend either removing dialogue response number 1 in the second image, or adding another dialogue response in the fourth image (if the player selected dialogue response number 1 in the second image) that allows the player to kill Lady Maeri legitimately (i.e. which causes Lady Maeri to attack the player's party).

I never did any item crafting, I only sold items that I didn't want to keep, and I never bought any items that were priced more than 1000 gold. My party finished the KotB module with almost 96000 gold. I recommend adding a useful new way that the player can spend a lot of money on.

Attached Files:

6. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

marc1967, how are you positioning thumbnail images where-ever you want in your posts? Are the images that you post in your posts being hosted by Co8.org or some third-party image-hosting site? I need to be able to do what you are doing so that I can idiot-proof my game guide & walkthrough for the Co8 Modpack New Content Edition sticky thread because new players refuse to examine all of the images that I have thumbnailed in that thread.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You seem to have done it already in your post above gazra, but all you have to do is upload the images you want, then place the cursor where you want it in your text, click the attachment button in the editor, and click the attachment you want. That will make it appear wherever your cursor had been, and it won't reappear at the bottom of your post.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Gazra, if the party selects the social skills option they DON'T give the ArchDruid the vial. They just 'rethink the matter'. The dialogue is working perfectly. The party only get attacked if they give him the vial. But that is not at all the 'legitimate' outcome of the quest, just something that happens if Maeri gets angry enough. If a guard is nearby and she attacks you, he is going to see a group of heavily armed adventurers in combat with a single (and quite attractive) woman not even wearing armour, and he will react accordingly. I'll take your bug report for that one as given.

Something I don't think you have grasped about KotB: dialogue options (particularly with the Knowledge skills) are there to be read, not just clicked on. If you have good enough social skills, you may get a variety of options in any given dialogue tree - you are supposed to read them and be informed before making your choice. This is a perfect example: if your Sense Motive is high enough (and its only DC5, because the guy is pretty obviously sincere) you get told he appears to be telling the truth. You can then 'rethink the matter', give him the vial or continue pouring it out accordingly.

Furthermore, some dialogue options only occur if your Sense Motive etc is LOW - if you get fooled (albeit this only happens in a couple of places). The player has to know his PC and judge whether any given choice is appropriate for his character. A powerful character with a high intimidate score will benefit from intimidating a powerful foe - a player with a weak character with a low intimidate score who is offered the same route should think twice about clicking it.

Our Host!