KotB 1.0.0 Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jun 26, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Will fix.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks Gaear. I'll just say those CR changes (Mad Wizard etc) were Gazra's idea from beta-testing, and fix such of the others as are actual bugs.

3. Shiningted

Ok, fixed a lot of these, I'll update those in the post above, let's go through the rest.
    I'm open to any and all suggestions as to how the game can distinguish between a player who is actively trying to kill the man-at-arms and one who is killing the baddies around him while they hit him, dragging him into the combat. I'm not even sure what the bug is you have mentioned, Gazra - you had to move your people back for combat to end? That's how it works: was he yelling "back off"? If not, it's a bug. If so, it's working as intended afaik. As discussed before, this is not going to play out the same way every time, nor should it. (I wouldn't call it a 'berserk rage', though, just distinguishing between players who want to kill him and otherwise. Or we would have evil players saying, "I tried to kill the Man at Arms and he kept quitting combat! I had to re-attack him three times! Very frustrating and not realistic!")

CR of Grove Creeper - my bad, that one. Changed the wrong proto last time you brought it up.

Wolves - just stabbing a wolf doesn't give you their stench, you have to lug a pelt around for a while.

Mannes and Gwalles - seem to have their names backward. Have swapped the names.

Text overflow - update of UI coming.
    I mentioned, when Marc posted this as a bug, that I was following the Hommlet precedent, but I would be genuinely interested to hear your opinions on why this is wrong, Gazra. (In future, all references to compass directions will be removed with clearer instructions given).

Unholy Great-Axe - where did you get that?
    Done it to Lareth many many times. No spellcaster is a threat when surrounded.
    Appears to be the game's take on a wemic's +1 level adjustment. Not my fault :shrug:

Reece - Will test.

Hegumen - had a broken heartbeat file, which seems to not only stop him speaking to you, but also he should have been dragged into combat factionally if you have been going around killing things in the SoEC. Fixed.

The rest have largely been reported before and fixed. Thanks for the comprehensive efforts Gazra. Except for this one.
    And you thought that was a bug? Words just fail me. Smileys will have to do.

:no: :tired: :blank: :sadblinky :bored: :roll: :cry: :yikes:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  4. Shiningted

Sony, Gazra, could not replicate Reece problems. May be due to something insane like the Bailiff's ring.

Can confirm that bug with Mia's greataxes still not displaying properly, no idea where that fix went...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I'm saying that every time that I have fought the hobgoblin guards, the Man-at-Arms Prisoner remains in the combat queue after I have killed all of the hobgoblin guards, and the only way that I can end the combat (without killing the Man-at-Arms Prisoner, because my party is "good") is to move all of my party's characters away from the Man-at-Arms Prisoner each turn during combat, until all of my party's characters are far enough away from the Man-at-Arms Prisoner in order for the game to automatically end combat. This happens once I have moved all of my party's characters over to either near or in the Hobgoblin Chief's room (note: the only reason that I am able to do this is because my party always enters the Hobgoblin Cave through the secret door from the Goblin Cave, and all of the hobgoblins have already been killed on that whole section of the Hobgoblin Cave map. My party never first enters the Hobgoblin Cave through the cave's main entrance. In fact, I always use that secret passage from the Goblin Cave in order to get to the second tier of the Caves of Chaos without the need to climb the ladder on the Caves of Chaos exterior map, thus avoiding any of my party's characters taking damage from climbing).
    The current scenario where the Man-at-Arms Prisoner prevents the player from ending the combat against the hobgoblin guards without killing the Man-at-Arms Prisoner is not satisfactory and needs to be addressed. Most players playing this module are going to play as the "good guys", so it would make a lot more sense to make that scenario malfunction for "evil players" instead of the "good players" (who are the majority of players).

The Torturer wields the Unholy Greataxe +1 (within the Shrine of Evil Chaos)

You are misunderstanding me. If you don't improve Father Leamus' (Priest's) AI Strategy Type, then he will continue to really suck in that combat! He would be FAR more effective in that combat if he casts spells (which won't provoke any attacks of opportunity) instead of using items (which DOES provoke an attack of opportunity from EVERY opponent who threatens him with a melee weapon).

I never claimed that stating that the Captain's Tower is to the south-west is a bug. I was merely reporting the information in case you or any other modders regarded it as a bug. I was utterly confused that the Captain's Tower was referred to being to the south-west because I logically consider the upper left corner of the map to be the north-west corner of the map.

You are misinterpreting my style of bug-reporting. I didn't create the KotB module, so I don't know exactly how everything in the KotB module is meant to function. For the last half a year or so, I have been including all information about what happened in my game when reporting something that I believe may be a bug, so that you modders in the know can see what is working and isn't working in a particular scenario, and what needs to be done in order to fix a bug. In other words, I was trying to make it as easy as possible for you modders to know how to fix any bugs.

I consider myself to be a damned good play-tester (bug-reporter, beta-tester, whatever you want to call it). You only have to look how smooth the release of the KotB 1.0 module was. The only major bugs present in 1.0 were inadvertently introduced by Gaear when he replaced the Outer Bailey exterior map with his magnificent newly textered Outer Bailey exterior map just before the release of 1.0 (not his fault, but not my fault either). Shiningted, your continual singling me out for your unjust insults has lessened my enthusiasm to bother to invest any more of my time and effort in bug-reporting for the KotB module.

That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate all of the superb, unpaid, free work that Shiningted, Gaear, Sitra Achara, Agetian, and the person who does the awesome new portraits (HalfKnight?) (as well as all of the other modders who have worked on the Co8 Modpack (especially Livonya) and KotB module) have done over the years - far from it!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  6. Shiningted

Firstly, let me assure you, Gazra, I love you. :love:

Secondly, you completely misunderstood my comment above. It was not at all to do with the Captain's Tower but about the Hegumen moving into position. Let me set the scene:

You are in a garishly purple and suspiciously evil-looking chapel within the Shrine of Evil Chaos. You see some bronze vessels on the altar. You pick them up.

A gong sounds loudly.

There is the sound of footsteps. In the distance, there is the sound of doors opening.

Advancing through the tunnels (where you may or may not have found the lesser clerics had moved into the corridors, blocking your passage to the main Shrine, depending on whether you already dealt with them) you finally reach the Shrione, where the normally ambivalent main cleric has moved into a position to block your access to the Shrine, and attacks you on sight.

That's what's meant to happen, and I tested it extensively last night - that's what does happen more often than not, and if it doesn't always happen in all its glory, the Hegumen moving to cut you off from the Shrine happened 100% of the time. As it should.

So, after carefully scripting something, testing it, getting Gaear to add sound effects etc, I wait to see if it plays out as it should in real life gaming.

And you post it as a 'bug'.

Try and see it from my perspective, Gazra.

That being said, I admit I need to deal with feedback much better, and I have taken out my frustrations on you in an insulting manner as you say. I acknowledge that and crave your pardon. Moreover I publicly acknowledge the high quality of your bug-testing as you say, and gladly embrace the debt KotB owes to your efforts in that regard. Please forgive me for these undeserved slights.

As for the question about the Captain's Tower, that was genuine - I genuinely wanted your feedback. I also regard the top left of the screen as northwest. Which would put the Captain's tower (to the bottom left of the map) as south-west surely?

The problem is, folks like Marc (if I may speak from where I think he is coming from) follow the isometric standard of the top left being true north, since isometric maps tend to 'slope' one way or the other, so to speak, to allow the 3/4 view which makes little sense straight on. So to remove confusion, I have also removed cardinal compass point references (except in a handful of places where it is not ambiguous).

And let me add...
    I know you don't mean that in a blaming way, but it's not right to say these bugs were introduced by Gaear. That's an oversimplification. The bugs are just there, for a variety of reasons.

Finally - pro-tip for life. Just because someone attacks you, doesn't mean you have to kill them. There are alternatives to lethal force, if you are good.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The captain's tower is the one on the top left next to Flay's if I'm not mistaken.

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ah, so you used the orientation of the keep from the original module, right?

9. Shiningted

Well yes but it still should have made sense on-screen. Obviously it's a good thing I removed these then. As Gaear said, it will be referred to as the tower next to the Flay's (or more specifically, across from the Marketplace, since folks may not know where Flay's is).

10. Shiningted

Closing this thread, see bug thread for 1.0.1 (or whichever bug thread is current when future generations read this :wave: )

11. thumperpaul

thumperpaul Member

Doing the whos raiding the caravans quest. The bailiff says he signs the back of the guildmasters note but the document is still unsigned.

12. Shiningted

Two years for a first post, and that in a sealed thread. I barely know how to respond...

I'll look into it, thumper. I have a new PC without ToEE installed so that's all I can say for now, other than that other people have played this quest past that point, so it should be doable.

Did you try taking it to the Sergeant at the Inner Keep, or are you just looking at the item? Give it to the Sergeant and if he complains, tell him to turn it over.

Our Host!