KotB 1.0.0 Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jun 26, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Your lost post is fine, it was just spoilered. Highlight to see it, and in future, you can do as SirChet said to achieve that effect.

For Nobby - look in the box next to him (the one called 'Nobby's box').

1) sounds like a bug. Sorry 'bout that.

2) That's a bug, a very old one.... the reference to the Sergeant is re the ending of the Demo, so that's definitely a bug. Haven't touched that part of the game in years!

@ Gazra: after talking with Billy and encountering the Raiders, did you
    get the drop on them
    ? Or did they
    ambush you
    ? (And I forgot about there being a shovel in the swamp. Bit surprised by that, actually).

Re the silk: that's something for later development, how to effectively trade such items with the Merchant's Guild, which can't be done by standard shop trading (or every shopkeeper would do it) and shouldn't be done by dialogue (boring / looks amateurish). Happily I had a great idea.

@ Zoroastre: please check your PMs, will ask you some questions about your bugs.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

And don't forget to check your stats when carrying around the sticky gooey spider silk.

3. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I got
    the drop on the raiders. More specifically, the raiders were standing at the bottom left corner of the random encounter map. My party was standing at the top right corner of the map. I could have had my spellcasters cast buffing spells on my characters before the combat, but I wasn't aware that this was the final combat against the raiders. I just thought that it was another standard random encounter against raiders. I found the resulting combat against the raiders too easy. The Raider Cleric is nasty when he casts Sound Burst (presuming that he doesn't also cast the spell on some of the Raiders as well (as he did in the combat that my party had against the raiders)), the Raider Mage can be nasty if any of her spells affect any of the player's characters, and the Raider rogues can do serious damage when sneak attacking, but I recommend making the combat much more difficult and spectacular

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  4. shiffd

shiffd Member

Hello, I just started playing....

Here is what I have found

#1 I had not luck getting it to work on mac, so I am using it on a PC (XP)

#2 I did not install Co8 mod pack, I do have the file I am pretty sure and could install it... I was under the impression KoB is standalone. Was I mistaken?

Bugs I am getting~

Lots of crashes~ picking up hammer and bastardsword at night in the blacksmith shop. I reloaded a few times, eventually I could pick them up without a crash. Searching chests. Moving through random spawned areas. Selecting characters. When it crashes, it tends to crash at the same point (I just reload until it don't crash). I would say maybe 1 crash every 20 minutes of play.

Saves not taking~ Sometimes I tell it to save, but it didn't. Also I have been checking the 'save on map change' option, and it works for 10 or 15 minutes...but then I will look back and see I am missing a save (which sucks) and I have to go recheck it again. At this point I am manually saving and double checking the saves. Really weird the autosave option is unchecking itself. Really weird...

Really bad pathfinding. Seems worse than even vanilla. Lots of bottlenecks around doorways. I like to use just my party leader (cha rogue) but he can't seem to make it around the rest of his party or any obstacles really..to get anywhere. Maybe I should reroll him a finess halfling but I like human for feat/extra skills....

thanks! (Oh and I will let you all know if I run into any more bugs,,,) unfortunately because I can not run the game on my mac, and am using it on my old xp machine, the machine is not internet capable so its really hard for me to try to send any error log or anything, I end up needed to transfer via USB and its kind of a pain.

5. Shiningted

#1 - not made for Mac, sorry. No idea re emulators.

#2 - stand alone indeed :) Doesn't need the Co8 modpack (though every PC should have it ;))

The game should run on XP, though I haven't tried it (my XP machine wouldn't run ToEE at all, but it had a dodgy install) since most of KotB was made in Win98SE. It made the transition to Vista seamlessly so I don't know why it wouldn't work on the in-betweener.

I have to say, though, it sounds like the problem is your set-up, by simple fact that you are getting these bugs no-one else is. On the contrary, other than the known problem of the Provisioner's map (that we have a fix for, btw), the game sounds very stable since it was given a major conform-to-ToEE-standards overhaul just before release.

One thing I can suggest: the 'save-on-map-change' thing is known to introduce problems, so it's switched off in the innards. I won't claim this is behind all your problems, but don't use it please. I'll check the Blacksmith's shop.

@ Gazra: thanks for the comprehensive reply, but I have to say,
    the whole point of the Billy side of things is to give you a chance to get the drop on the Raiders rather than get ambushed, and thus make a tough encounter much easier (if they ambush you, it can indeed get nasty, I learnt that the hard way first time I got it! kudos to Sitra Achara). So players, once they get the hang of it, can decide what they want to do. It's an option for people who play one-roll-only or RP-focused parties, and a reward for parties who do 'the right thing' by Billy, if making an encounter easier can be called a reward. The Golden Skull in miniature, so to speak. Keep in mind that when the alignment plots are introduced, Evil parties will negotiate with the Raiders rather than fight them.

6. shiffd

shiffd Member

Thank you, your response was very helpful. Awhile back (year or two) I played the mod pack (once or twice) before KotB was around. I remember some things with autosaves and not using them back then too....So that makes sense, I had just forgotten. I just need to get a better habit of saving manually and double checking.

As far as mac, I think the developers are trying to make it work for mac. Its not working. I mean not to complain, just sharing my experience and that its not working, mainly its not detecting/able to use java. hopefully they can get it to work for mac too.

7. chano

chano Established Member

In the Cave in in the spider forest it seems to be a bit randomized about what monsters are in there in some places, i noticed today when playing i got some vapor rats instead of dire rats and i experienced some lagging just around them. did not have that problems on the first two run throughs but then there was no vapor rats,,

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The Mac support is just a launch/processes thing - it's supported by TFE-X (front end), and that's all that's required to run it on a Mac.

TFE-X Mac support actually does work btw, as we have numerous success stories. You're having some specific issue that remains to be discovered.

9. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Minor spoiler:
    I talked to the Spider Queen and returned her eggs
    . After this I went to talk to the bailiff about this and other issues and talked about Flay to him. Following the events of the hearing I wound up incarcerated and when I clicked on my logbook I had a CTD...

Updated in 1.0.1

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  10. Zoroastre

Zoroastre Member

Where can I find a grapling hook

Seems I need a grappling hook and I can't get in the shop at the keep (the game crashes), didn't find them anywhere else, is there a workaround, cause I'm totally stuck...

thx

11. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Zoroastre, enter the following console command to add a Grappling Hook to a free inventory slot of your currently selected PC (note: you open/close the console by pressing the ~ key (Shift `)):

give 12792

12. Zoroastre

Zoroastre Member

thx gazra!

13. Shiningted

LOL! At least someone has gotten themselves arrested and not just hit reload.

The CTD was due to the reputation you earn for personally offending the Castellan: it was too wordy for the log-book. Fixed.

14. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Guess I need to keep searching for a better motive- or just steal the Grimnoire after all...:thumbsup:

15. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

Is going in with a party of 8 pre-made characters bugged?
    I first tried with 7, and the guy at the door to the keep mentioned that I had 8, and made a joke about not wanting to use premade characters.

After this acknowledgement (which almost sounded like an indirect recommendation for 8), I started again with 8. But now I'm finding that the dialogue with the guy at the door is cut short, and he never says how many characters I have. And consequently, it appears that it's impossible to enter the keep.

I'm wondering if possibly the game is thinking that I have an illegal party size of 9, since 7 characters had previously been counted as 8. At any rate, I guess I'll need to go back to 7 characters. Shame, I was sort of looking forward to my first ever 8 person party.

Updated in 1.0.1

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
Our Host!