KotB 1.0.0 Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jun 26, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

You could have posted that Chano :)

Not a bug, indeed... I think that was in the manual but either way, let's just say the Speak Language skill is there for a reason.

@Marc: the heggrim thing sounds like a bug.
    Well I haven't changed it, was it 'fixed' in the Co8 modpack?

2. Krylus

Krylus Member

Is there any possibility to fix Billy in game right now? I have spent like 4 hours out of the Keep and dont really feel like doing it all again.. :( Also does it hinder future quest possibilities seriously if I tell Bailief to take care of Billy himself?
    Anyway, I have noticed black squares appearing twice
    during battles below the Southern Pine forest, in the area where you rescue the merchant.
    They disappeared shortly after, so not really a serious trouble. I was unable to recreate those events though.

3. crpgnut

crpgnut Member

I don't have time to read the whole thread but I found a nice exploit. After rolling your party, you'll start with 800+ gold. If you want to play a harder game, you can choose the default amount of 500 instead. However, if you spend the 800 gold before opening that chest, you basically get 1300 to spend as it resets from whatever amount you had to 500 :D

ADDED AS BUG 14; FIXED -SA

I started over to get the two sets of red gloves that give +6 to strength and found this exploit by using that one :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Anytime TFE-X says anything about patch 2 or something not being found, it's most always your antivirus deleting or quarantining the toee executable. One of the first things TFE-X does when activating a module is look for and move toee.exe around, and if your antivirus nicks it, TFE-X won't find it, and if TFE-X can't find the executable it stops activating. The disable/enable intros issue is legit too but it was probably just coincidence in your case.

What addon folder are you talking about and what did you put there exactly?

Happens sometimes. Just a glitch with your card trying to draw the map.

5. Zoroastre

Zoroastre Member

Thx Ted! I've read the manual "diagonally" as we say here (was very eager to play)

Could there be a forum for those "stuck in a quest" kinda questions?

6. Shiningted

Sure, good idea. Just start a thread with the name of the quest, we'll stick everything in that thread. (The 'Grassy Gnoll' thread may needs it's own server ;)) Please continue to use spoiler tags inside such threads, folks: people will go there for hints as well as complete reveals / issues.

Re: Billy - obviously there are some issues there, which is why it's on the buglist. But I don't believe it is completely 'undoable'. 3 little things:

1) If you see him, deal with it immediately, don't go off to sleep or anything (as I suspect at least one post here involved...) He is set to disappear after a few hours, since having him stand there perpetually would be silly obviously. I think the guards still hang around though (it was a very last minute addition), which explains why sometimes you see them but not him. If that happens, ignore it and go on with your game.

2) To get the dialogue options with the Bailiff, you have to have engaged with the scenario, which means in this case you have to go over there (which triggers the Guards yelling out) and then wait for one of them to say, "someone tell the bailiff!" or something similar, which is what advances the global variable but aloows you to speak to the bailiff. The reason for this is so that people who trigger the scenario offscreen (again, while up near the Church or something) won't get weird dialogue options should they speak to the Bailiff. In the choice between people being forced into a dialogue thread they know nothing about (which is poor modding) and people not being able to 'skip ahead' in the sequence of the scenario playing out (which is METAGAMING) I've decided to avoid the former.

3) Yes it can be done. The very last thing of all done with the mod before release was re-doing the animations of the guards for the new Outer Bailey map. When I'd done that, I tested it, and it worked fine. Unfortunately there are so many 'variables' for something like that that it has apparently found a variety of ways to malfunction, for which again I apologise. But it can still be done on a good day.

4) Finally, as mentioned in another thread, Billy is non-essential. How you play it out affects some later stuff, but it does not prevent anything happening, whether you apprehend him, kill him, ignore him or miss him.

7. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I just figured out a way to be able to deal with the Billy scenario if Billy first shows up in your game at night. Go over to the watchmen until one of them says "Call the Bailiff, quick!", then go into the pub and talk to the Bailiff and agree to deal with Billy, then go outside. Now the trick is to pass time until morning WHILE YOUR PARTY IS ON THE OUTER BAILEY MAP. This prevents Billy from disappearing when it's morning. In my test, I had to pass time for 6 hours until morning occurred. Now you can complete the Billy scenario as if Billy had first shown up at day-time (except that the watchmen with the crossbows have disappeared).

So now you should be able to complete the Billy scenario regardless of whether he first shows up in your game at night or at day-time (assuming that you don't have to pass time for too many hours until morning (if Billy is meant to disappear after a few hours)).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  8. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I opened the TOEE folder when I reinstalled it and saw the addon folder so I picked that- maybe I lucked out by pure chance?

9. Stasis

Stasis Member

Hello, I've finished the game and I enjoyed it a lot so I want to help by reporting some bugs that I found.

1) If you kill the lizards and then talk to Axer saying you've already done it you get xp each time you select this dialogue option (endless xp).

ADDED AS BUG 15

2) When you enter Axer's building they ask you to pay 100 GP, if you agree no gold is actually taken from you.

ADDED AS BUG 16

[color="teal"3) Elven madman shooter missing.[/color]

4) Bailif becomes hostile for no apparent reason.

5) Items called gnoll shields that look like swords disappear from inventory and ox bag.

[color="cyan"]ADDED AS BUG 17[/color]

6) Perhaps not a bug, but a little bit annoying: many trees are not transparent and you can't see characters through it (e.g. spider area).

7) Elf ranger that can be randomly encountered doesn't mark a new area (or was he referring to the already visited druid/harpy ruins area?).

8)Composite longbow has two descriptions 2d6 slashing damage and 1d8 damage and some magical items lack any description like the Treacher's glee.

ADDED TO 'KNOWN ISSUES'

9) If you resque the merchant and his wife and go back to that area they will reappear there.

ADDED AS BUG 18; FIXED -sA

10) Same area as above: each time you reopen the main entrance door you'll get the dialogue (even if you killed them) and cp will drop (endless moneyz).

Updated in 1.0.1

11) Dwarf cleric party member. When you buy his item he'll get 100 GP, or 1000 GP if you buy his armor, in his inventory that you can take. Not only that, you can rebuy the same items from him over and over again for endless gold. (I'd suggest making companion items usable only by them and not sellable, but movable).

Updated in 1.0.1

12) Two Swords can pick improved TWF even though she doesn't have enough dex.

Updated in 1.0.1

13) I believe quite a few quests are not shown in the quest journal and the "NG alignment" quest lacks any description.

14) The raider camp's fog of war is a bit messy

Known Issue.

15) The quest board giving the same quest even though you've already taken it (raider camp)

BEING TESTED.

16) When you pick up flowers and some strange simbols it's not actually shown in your inventory (not sure if it's a bug).

17) Not a bug, but damn, wasn't able to pick up a single wolf skin due to a low skill I suppose. :D

18) Spider eggs don't like the ox bag, they drop out or something, I found them on the ground later.

19) The merchant in the vermin cave asks to resque him, but sadly the only dialogue option given is a flat "no", not sure if it's a bug or some party size limit.

20) Didn't quite understand the NPC named "those bells are getting louder"..oh well, no spoilers please!

ADDED AS BUG 22

Anyway, it's a great game regardless, hope you're able to polish it and fix these bugs and I'm sure I'll replay it with pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  10. Shiningted

Thanks Stasis: most of those are indeed bugs, we'll get onto them (and I'll update the bug list shortly). None are game breaking which is good. Glad you enjoyed it :wave:

11. gazra_1971

Sitra Achara, attached below is my saved game where my party has just arrived at the Keep at night (from travelling on the world map), and Billy has first appeared in my game, in case you want to use my saved game to test or debug the Billy scenario.

I've figured out the quickest way to deal with the Billy scenario if Billy first shows up in your game at night. Go over to the watchmen until one of them says "Call the Bailiff, quick!", then pass time until morning (this will cause Billy to remain up on the battlement), then go into the Bailiff's Tower and ask to speak to the Bailiff, then talk to the Bailiff and agree to deal with Billy, then go up the tower and deal with Billy. This saves you time by not having to go into the pub at night in order to speak to the Bailiff.

Attached Files:

12. Shiningted

Thanks for the save game Gazra. The problem seems to be if you get the Bailiff to agree to give you Keotoghm's Ointment: that affects the flags (so he can remember to give it to you later) and throws everything out. Bugger.

13. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Speaking of which, he welched on that part of the deal after I took care of Billy for him. No matter how I pressed him for my reward, he never came back to the ointment.

14. gazra_1971

I'd just like to point out that, in KotB version 1.0, I have never asked the Bailiff for a reward before agreeing to deal with Billy - I've always selected the top dialogue response (something along the lines of "It would be an honour to serve the keep"), so I don't think that is the reason why the Billy scenario doesn't work properly if Billy first shows up in the game at night. As I stated previously, the problem for me was that the Tower Watch (in the Bailiff's tower) refused to let my party pass through the tower at night (even though my party leader was wearing the Bailiff's Signet Ring).

Oh, and as with Daryk and crpgnut, the Bailiff also gave me the Medal as reward for dealing with Billy.

15. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Three bugs in the "Who's Rading The Trading Quest"

1) I mentioned this in another thread but I'm putting it here where it belongs.

The Curate's DLG file seems to be bugged with a syntax error. Entries {203} and {204} have an extra open parenthesis right after the variable 'npc' in the conditional call which disrupts the flow of the dialog and prevents the line from appearing where you can ask him about the blessing. This only happens if you have 'met' the curate already. If it is your first meeting with him, the dialog will run fine.

Code:
    {not get_1(npc()}
    Updated in 1.0.1

2) After completing the quest and reporting it to the Bailiff, he rewards you with 300 gp. If you initiate dialog again, you can report it repeatedly and get infinite gold.

ADDED BUG 23

3) This is probably not a bug, but just a matter of how detailed the quest is implemented. I charmed the "bad guy" and brought him to the bailiff, but still got the "it's too bad he was killed and we couldn't get more details out of him" line.

Fixed :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
Our Host!