Known bug or not? Chest/Merchant Inventory

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Philip, May 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

Before I get too deep into this (by posting more details including screenshots and rough guide to reproduce) has anyone encountered this before and/or is it in the category of "Known Bugs"...

I sometimes get an issue where when placing items into a container [which could be chest at home in nulb, extraplanar chest, or any merchant's inventory] where the 2nd and 3rd squares in grid become blank and the contents of those slots not displayed. That is, the top square in the rightmost column and the 2nd square in the leftmost column. This lack of display (they're not just invisible either, can't interact with these at all) persists when you scroll down the contents, with different items obscured as you scroll down, always the same two grid squares.

The contents are still there and can be removed using "Take All" button (assuming enough space in own pack).

Seemingly related to this, I also find that one of the two buttons on the inventory screen, either "Drop Item" or "Use Item" (and I apologise because I forget which) disappears from inventory screen and is rendered in exactly the same spot behind the inventory screen, on the main game screen, hovering annoyingly over the game as a strange artifact. (Can still be clicked on, though does nothing while inventory not open)

Saving the game, quitting the game, then reloading the game clears these abnormalities.

So, just me, or anyone else?

2. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Usually happens to me after an extensive period of moving items around, or selling a large quantity of items to a vendor. This bug WILL crash your game, and can sometimes corrupt saves in my experience. definitely EXIT the game if this happens to you, and do not save, and hope when you reboot that the previous save will still work.

Try to limit your movement of items between your backpack and other menus...

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

This is also common when consoling various items and not getting the ID number correctly.

4. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

It's never crashed my game, but when I exit the game normally (which I do because I want to reload to get rid of the issue) after I exit, Windows will inform me toee.exe has crashed and does a memory dump of the app. I get the same thing when the Game CTD's, however with this it just sort of fails the app without happening instantly, only at the point you actually close it.

I must be lucky in that I am perfectly able to save the game without issue and reload without errors persisting.

So, does anyone know the cause? Also is this bug present in vanilla toee or was it something introduced later on? (or was the chance of it happening increased by changes made)

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Vanilla bug or anomaly. Sirchet has an interesting thought there ... an invalid proto would probably take up a spot like that without showing up.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

*pats himself on the back*

7. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

I also experienced this one within the same scope of buginess, when my character inventory is nearly encumbered of its own indulgence <only one slot remaining> - in the temple level 2; near scorpps heavenly pleasure den. When I get all <loot all button> the bugbear's items, my char inventory panel "use it button" suddenly make the move! and surprisingly its on top of "rolls:" <outside border of the inventory screen>. I reload the other save games with no avail! its there! its permanetly there! :paranoid: I have to reload ToEE via Front-End to remove the bug(?). So the story ends here. :shame:

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  8. J'allan UlDragos

this bug has happened to me whenever i am carrying around 40-50 items in my Extraplanar chest(s) and whatever i could carry on my parties personal inventory - basically 'all i could carry' from returning from a dungeon crawl. As you begin to drag items into Brother Smyths inventory to sell it, the odd things that Philip reported begin happening, especially if you try to drag as quickly as possible to get the sales over with...

So, after about 20 items or so, the blank, non-responsive spots begin to appear, and you need to scroll MUCH further down in his inventory to be able to still click and drag items to sell with success. if you keep up the rapid pace, the inventory button for "drop" or "use item" suddenly pops off the inventory menu screen, and stays on top of the closed screen, where it would normally be when the inventory screen opens.

You can click it or roll over it, and the animation of the button plays, but nothing happens if the inventory screen is not open. if you map change after this happens, the game crashes. if you save, that save becomes corrupted. i think its because the button gets detached that causes the unstable game state... and the clumsy sales interface for offloading 40-50 pieces of junky acquired gear for gold from dungeon delving is responsible. If i go VERY slowly and methodically, and turn that same inventory offload into 2 trips of 20 items or so sold at a time, i don't have this problem.

9. J'allan UlDragos

the blank, non-responsive spots appear in Brother Smyths inventory screen, not the parties. as in it is related to the "treasure chest", "sales inventory" or "extraplanar chest" scrolling menu. Sometimes similar odd behavior happens when simply scrolling the "loot" screen of a character that was defeated that had a large amount of treasure - scrolling the loot makes it pop and jump about in the "treasure chest" scroll. has anyone seen that before?

Yeah i do console items from time to time ... but i have always used the code from the MES that lists items, or direct input from Gazra's guide - so i know i have not input an incorrect proto. but i have seen the weird behavior for ... forever, ever since playing this game. I have been playing since i believe 2006, so ... Before i knew there was a console, or how to operate it. So it is likely a 'vanilla' issue.... which is why i cautioned the speed and amount of inventory one moves around between menus and such... as it is the only reliable way i reproduced this bug. It's happened to me probably around 10 times...? Always after a significant haul of treasure where i had to load up the party inventory from the extraplanar chest, and then try to offload it for gold to Brother Smyth.

10. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

I wonder if this is made worse by continuing to sell items to a merchant (or continuing to out items into any container) after it is "Full".

When a container is not full, dragging an item onto an existing item in the container will place it in the next available free slot.
    When a container is full, the game will not allow you to drag any more items in to it, in this manner.

However, when 'full' you can scroll down and manually slot by slot drag items into a further number of seemingly vacant slots which seems to be approximately equal to the initial capacity. After this, you cannot put any more items in at all, and it really is Full.

Our Host!