Killed St Cuthbert without cheating

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by HeJason, Dec 9, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Bugger - he should definitely react to both events.

Is he the guy with th bow in the pic? If so, was he a bit of a distance away?

2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Hey Ted, don't know if i mentioned before...but the detail of Ronald screaming when he runs away when scared...

:suprised: :) :p :mrhappy: :aaaa:

:notworthy :clap:

3. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Ya, thats the right guy, I just forgot if he did anything. I think you are right though, he did say something, I just forgot exactly. Now you got me curious and I am gonna have to do it again ;)

4. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

A real glutton for blood. I see there is one god who is NOT going to like you very much.......

5. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    Forgive me for adding my two cents worth. In the original (paper and pencil) TOEE, Scather was a Shortsword that could only be used by CG individuals, and it attacked at the end of the round, always hitting, and always doing max { 8 HP } damage. I'm not 100% certain, but I think it would only attack people who actually HIT you, so technically, the fire damage from the Balor would NOT trigger a "counter - attack" . Furthermore, in the Original module, Prince Thrommel was a Paladin, so guess which alignment Fragarach was. If I remember correctly, Fragarach and Scather were two of a series of 9 swords ( one for each alignment ) that pretty much acted the same way.
    TRC

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, its one of the few voiced lines that automatically works. But Endarire gets the credit there, not me ;)

7. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

Actually they were Broadswords, Final Word Type. And yes, there were nine; each for the alignments available with the exact same abilities.

But remember, the game did not have AoO at the time, nor did it have fighters able to have Great Cleave with 25 Str scores either, so the sword was balanced for the game it was introduced into. And seeing how there were only nine, it did make the sword an artifact of sorts making it virtually impossible to find, especially by random encounter.

8. mazuk3

mazuk3 Member

i was able to kill cuthberth with no cheating in the original game, i have the game saved already, you can kill cuthberth easily because idkn why he only was chasing my wizard, so she's very squishy and i just put my warrios on line to hit him when he arrives, and thats it, to fight iuz i had to load several times before i could be able to beat him because he's a very dificult enemy, in the original game was pretty easy, in this expansion of C08 he has a sword and is by far so much difficult iirc.

9. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

Good Stuff! The tricky part with Cuthbert is surviving the initial round with no losses. But other than that, yes he is easy to slow down, unlike Iuz - who has freedom of movement.

The real challenge is to do it legit with no buffs prior to arena - as that is the intent (surprise fight) and not use the swords of answering cheese or wounding crafted weapons.

Edit: but it does take a while this way because his high AC means killing (x 4) a long process. So more of a ToEE bucket list. Iuz is with not nearly as high AC is a much shorter fight, if you can avoid him getting a full round of attacks on any character. Or full round from Cuthbert, especially if evil character.

And yes, the AI does tend to chase the weaker characters. This is why Meleny is a good NPC to have for a decoy. The AI seems to like targeting her.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    mazuk3 likes this.
  10. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Some impressive thread necromancy here! I think with a lot of these things it depends how you define cheating (cheat codes, reloads?) as opposed to exploits of the rules as implemented in this game (stacking of Stoneskin spells, strength and haste buffs) other shenanigans (AI exploits, contriving to have possession of both Answering Swords). It's fun to do as an exercise, but I think my most satisfying encounter with Iuz and Cuthbert was the first time, when I thought I was doomed to a TPK but managed to run away sufficiently effectively that Cuthbert intervened.

11. mazuk3

mazuk3 Member

In my personal opinion i think that cheats only are Codes, hacks with stats, and possibly some bug with an hability for instance the magic weapon in the original version, but load several times, maybe it can be to achieve some challenges or personal challenges, so it really do not count as a hack, maybe some other would say a bad player, because for instance ,one of my personal challenges is complete it without losing battles or party members deaths, so i think killing cuthberth with no cheating is absolutely possible because i did it in the original version and the Co8 version, killed cuthberth with no loads, but, to fight Iuz in the original version is pretty much easier than the Co8, if you go absolutely prepared to fight Iuz in the original version, you can beat it with no cheats and no loads with a very powerfull party, spells and buffs, at level 9 or 10. In the Co8 you probably will need loads to beat Iuz and probably a very good level too.

Edit: This is my favourite party, a powerful one in Co8 that beated Iuz and Cuthberth with no cheats
    https://postimg.cc/6y7gQ2n2

Last edited: May 31, 2023
Our Host!