Kickstarter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hugh Manetee, Dec 22, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The guy that wrote that sounds like he had a failed Kickstarter project and is trying to justify his short comings.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Not quite, he makes it clear his own Kickstarter (to fund a print version of the Baffler, I think) was a success. Its slightly more subtle.
    Fundamentally, he seems to be jealous of the success of the Kickstarter folks themselves: they've developed a clever model that helps us niche-lovers (games or docos or whatever) get what we want through direct funding, helps artistes and game-makers and film-makers etc, does it through a near-perfect form of free-marketry - if people don't want the product they won't fund it in the first place, if they do they will etc - and they are making money hand over fist for themselves. This seems to upset the writer, who ends with a call to 'communize' the system.

I'm as red as the next guy but it really sounds like sour grapes. Good luck to Kickstarter, I say. Good read though, he brings up some valid things to think about from someone who's gone thrugh it. But if you are not prepared for the 'side-effects' of a Kickstarter (like the time and money of mailing out hundreds of rewards) you shouldn't be asking for total strangers to trust you with their money in the first place..

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Lets not rule out that he could even be an employee of one the marketing firms or publishers that is missing out on a lot of the money that is bypassing them.

5. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

I think it's at least a cautionary tale.
    Budget very carefully for a prodject and make sure you work out the hidden costs of raiseing your budget.

Our Host!