Keeping their hood down

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Radish, Jul 13, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Radish

Radish Member

I want certain characters to keep the hoods on their cloaks down. The only way I know how to do this is to put hats or helmets on them, but frequently when I want them to keep their hood down I don't want them to wear a hat or helmet.

So, first question, is there some command I just wasn't aware of in the game to make characters put their hoods down? That would be really nice. Failing that, I have discovered the basic crown acts as an invisible hat, pushing the hood down without actually putting anything on the character's head. Are there other invisible hats like this, that don't give an erroneous +4 bonus to intelligence like the basic crown does?

I'm still using Co8 4.0, as I wasn't aware a new version was out and am already 5th level in my current game and unwilling to start over, so any solutions presented in later versions won't be of much use to me, though I wouldn't mind hearing them for future reference, and gosh this is a long sentence.

Thanks.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

You've found the only solution I am aware of - putting something in the head slot. IIRC a circlet (basic, no bonuses) does not show up and leaves the head uncovered.

3. Radish

Radish Member

Aye, you're right, one of the simple circlets does the job. There seem to be two, 6028 and 6283, and only the second one pushes the hood down. Odd.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Might be that the modder who did it wanted to allow a circlet which didn't remove the hood graphic as well as the one which does remove it. Could maybe use some text to specify which is the one which does it, as if it were a magic item maybe?

5. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

In 4.0.0 (and 5.0.0) there is the Hoodless Circlet (proto number 6335) that was made specifically for this.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You can also modify the hoods as desired by editing data\rules\addmesh.MES, as was pointed out by Cujo once.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

yip and it was me that made the hoodless circlet as well fyi which is easier to get your hands on with the latest mods, I'm sure I saw it in the shop map

8. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Is there a circlet available after the shopmap? Other than just consoling one in? I have some sort of ethical objection to using the console that way.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I don't think so, and if its just for the look of your character then I don't consider it cheating to console it in as it doesn't do anything except make hoods stay down.

10. erkper

Oddly enough, I think that's my moral objection. I wouldn't mind using the console if I thought that was the only way to accomplish something vital to finishing the game, especially if it looked like it was something that I could not accomplish because of general game bugginess or something not my fault, but to use a "cheat" just for something as trivial as that? Strikes me as wrong somehow.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  11. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

For right now it's plan ahead and buy them on the Shop Map, console them in later, or go without. Sorry. Maybe future updates will add them somewhere else.

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Kind of like stealing, isn't it? Doesn't matter what people think, stealing is wrong. It's your game; play it how you like it. Buy one first next go 'round & you'll be prepared.

13. erkper

Yeah, I guess. But since I don't use cloaks just for looks, basically don't use cloaks period until the cloaks of resistance start showing up, it looks like I'll either be carrying those circlets around for a looong time, or (more likely) just living without.

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

btw does anyone know what they cost, they should be pretty cheap as they're really a whole lot of nothing, that takes up an inventory slot

Our Host!