Isn't the hand axe "Cleaver" too powerful???

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by webusver, Oct 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. TOEEHamster

TOEEHamster Member

*Sigh*
    Like someone said. The cleaver is 19-20, it comes with keen so it is 17-20 just like a keen long sword.
    You have not actually tried crafting a "Holy+Ax+Frost+Icy Burst" cleaver, I have. The keen attribute will push it past the enchantment limit. "Holy+Ax+Frost+Shock" will make little difference though.

It is more powerful than other weapons but hardly deserves the bashing from players who did not use it. My meleers hardly get a chance to kill anything compared to my wizards and archers anyway.

Infact I'll rather focus on blunt weapons just to it more convenient against those slimes.

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

The cleaver is there for the same reason you can choose to buy a revolver. Most of the modders who work at Co8 have been playing this game for a long time, and they try to keep the game interesting for themselves. Once again, I say, if you don't like it, DON'T USE IT. Nobody is sitting over your shoulder, forcing you to kill off Fruella for that cleaver. Nobody is making you put every enhancement known to the TOEE universe on it to create the ultimate killing tool. If you can't resist the temptation to use something you feel shouldn't be used, you have nothing to blame but your own lack of self control. Yes it's overpowered. Yes its unbalanced. Some people also find it fun to use. If you don't, then don't. It really is that simple.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Yah, what erkper said...plus, your characters should fear the wrath of the mad woman cursed with permanent PMS [and her little friend cleaver].

4. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Fruella really needs better dialog. The Shrew Wife may or may not be funny, but no one marries someone they despise unless forced to, and that goes for both Fruella and her husband from the party. There ought to be some sign that Fruella actually cares about the PC she's with, or some reason in game for him to marry her.

"I needed the quest XP" is not an in game reason. ;)

5. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

A new voice AND a new portrait. Just looking at her....

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I think it's quite humorful that Troika added Fruella in to the game. Ever hear of someone who got married where the couple married too soon, the marriage was a mistake to begin with and, as well, was a complete disaster with all of the arguing and constant verbal assults between them after the wedding? Well, Troika built that possibility in to the game. Your party leader can get married and it is a complete mistake for both as both marry for the wrong reason. And oh, and btw, "I needed the quest XP" at the time can be the wrong reason.

Now, watch someone take all of that just waayyy too seriously, folks!.. *smirk*

Or, someone could take the slant, it was the drinking contest in Hommlet - the party leader woke up next to who..?

7. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Unless this is Order of the Stick, your characters shouldn't quite know that they get Quest Experience. ;)

The drunk and woke up next to Fruella explanation would be better, if only there were a way to mod in a cut scene. :)

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

OK, i'm a sicko. I love Fruella. My current game she is level 20, str36, dex36, cons36, 525hp. Has Fragarach set at 20d20, critical2-20,(she loaned the cleaver to the dwarf). She did 1219hp damage to the last troll that pissed her off. She is AC44, mostly naked and a virtual killing machine. I love her.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

A little too much information there, George . . . ;)

10. wizgeorge

Ok, I got a little carried away with the console and all, but I like to test and tryout different things. I experiment with the console, the dlg and protos files. I'm learning. Every now and then I like to play a wacked-out S&G game just for fun. Cut me some slack. huh?

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well if she had a different portrait, then you could marry her cos she was so hot and you wanted to get some, and seeing every brewster and his boy as been to the snake pit you didn't really want to go there - thats why you hooked up with sweet virginal Meleny (just a pitty that you didn't know that she and Tuperello have been fooling around behind her dads back).

12. wizgeorge

This is pretty lowdown and unfair, but, the Jade Empress is pic #6510 in the protos file and Fruella is 7280. Just swap them around and presto! The Empress is FINE looking.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Relax, Wiz-G. The part Gaear thought was extraneous was undoubtedly the stuff I quoted.

14. wizgeorge

Okay, what did you quote? Am I out of order here or what? Fruella and the cleaver have been a topic of debate/issue for a long time. When a new mod like 5.0.2 or HB comes out, I play it straight-up, fair"n"square by the rules, with 6 pc's. No Fruella or cleaver. When I'm in the mood, I experiment and use the console, modify dlg and protos files, just to see what happens. It's just for my own entertainment. I do the same thing with my war games, Medal Of Honor and Call Of Duty. It's just me, for better or worse. But, I'm having fun, so what the hell?

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

No Wizgeorge, I believe they were just jesting with you at your stated personal love for the Fruella NPC character..."mostly naked and a virtual killing machine"...nothing more than that

Our Host!