Is 'Building a New Module' circa 2005 outdated?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sini, Feb 6, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sini

Sini Member

Is 'Building a New Module' circa 2005 outdated?/monster attack problem

The documentation that comes with world builder I mean.
    I followed the instructions but couldn't get my Tutorial mod to show up on the front end, double checked the dirs and redid but no luck.
    Then I noticed that I have front-end X instead of just front-end, so I tried converting from the top menu and it did find Tutorial, but I got some exception (from ms .net framework, I have 2.0 installed) about tutorial.data folder, even thought I never bothered copying it like instructed since it was empty and now when I start the front end it tells me I need to run it from toee dir(which I do) and patch 2 installed(which I also already did). Still borked and can't run. :confused: Then I apply patch 2 again but of course everything craps itself (mods, nocd etc).

Anyway, so I just figured Id do a clean reinstall but was wondering if there is an updated doc somewhere on how to do it with the newest front end x.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah sorry Sini, those docs definitely need updating for TFE-X. Excuse me if I cut-paste the next bit from just before your last post ;)

3. Sini

Sini Member

Re: Is 'Building a New Module' circa 2005 outdated?/monster attack problem

Great thanks! works now :rock:

edit; step back :chainsaw: Ok I'm gonna bump this not to spam the forum.

Everything was going peachy, until I decided to spawn my monsters, which don't attack.

I've created a black widow spider (ID:14417) but when my pc gets near it, while the combat music starts, the critter is there but doesn't do anything. Only when I hit it does it enter the combat mode(little portraits show up top, turn base system starts, my lvl 1 guy gets devoured etc).
    I've looked into the san_start_combat tab and I see 2 0 0 0 0. My understanding is that I need to look into py00002xxxx.py file inside data\scr folder, and I find py00002blackjay.pyc.
    So, I'm guessing that's the compiled blackjay.py file from the toee.dat that's sitting in modules folder. So I opened it up and look up the .py, and indeed I don't see any san_start_combat definitions, just dialog and dying functions.
    (and I'm assuming here that since spider critter calls blackjay script, this script contains the 'default' san_start_combat definition for generic enter combat routine).
    Ok, so next I've switch from my Tutorial mod to Co8 5.5.0 Beta and copy that blackjay.py which does include the definition, hoping that when I go back to my Tutorial and stick it in there it will connect. Sadly, that's not the case, might be because this one has some weird two weapon thingy going on.

Interestingly enough, if I spawn the spider from dialog (game.obj_create(...)) not only does that work, but if I spawn it near the dormant spider, the other "wakes" it and they both attack.

Any :help: would be appreciated.
    Do I need to turn on any specific critter flags? I tried turning some on, but had no luck.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

:thumbsup: Spot on! And quite right about adding it from the Co8 folder. Keep in mind when you activate the Co8 patch, you will lose anything in your data and modules files of your new mod, so back them up somewhere :)

Regarding getting it working - maybe go back to an earlier 'save' and try it? Or start a new game? Once a mob has compiled from its prototype in a game, it won't tend to reflect changes (in the way that a creature spawned from script, like your 'create from dialogue' version, does). Always saving before going onto a map with anything new, and going back to those eariler saves to test, is a good habit to get into :)

5. Sini

Sini Member

OMG freaking Wandering Merchant was confusing the spider :punch:
    I spawned the mob behind the npc, and when I came near them, the spider must have locked into the merchant(prolly cause he was closer) but he didn't have any combat routines defined so it just stared at it. Once ditched, everyone worked fine.

Our Host!