Introducing: Verbobonc Tales

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Jan 23, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Unfortunately rumor space is limited and is actually almost all used up, and they don't work well in expansion stuff anyway since they're story-state based. (This means that everything after learning about Zugg is all bunched up in one story state - basically levels 10 - 20 for NC.)

Re: repeating dialogue, bear in mind that we actually try not to do that in NC, because by and large it's a bit silly and irritating that NPCs would recite the same stories and make the same statements over and over like they generally do in vanilla. So it's actually preferable that they eventually would have nothing left to say besides "good day."

2. The Minister

The Minister Member

What about a beggar woman who begs from the party and tries to steal from them?

Classic and simple.

If there is interest, I will put together dialogue.

3. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

@ The Minister - Gaear addressed a few posts back some concerns;
    Basically, don't ask if there is interest in something, just start making it and see where it takes you. If/when you actually give tangible creations for an NPC, THEN people can give you advice and help you improve. But if you have a good idea for an NPC, just start making it and it will shape up as you continue.

As far as my process goes, I get a long weekend starting tomorrow, so I'm going to get into my writing mind and finish the dialogue. I'll signify the long repeating story as a one time dialogue. Too bad about rumors. However, IIRC, I've talked to the man in nulb that sells you the house (forgot the name), and there is an option from him to ask for rumors and he tells you random lines of dialogue. But I don't think they show up in the logbook. Could I do something like this or would it be too repetitive? I would make 2 or 3 random lines to be repeated if it can be done.

4. WinstonShnozwick

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I like the sound of this one, Gaear?

6. WinstonShnozwick

Has anyone else been making NPC's lately? I'd like to take a go at a second one for this. If no one minds, I'll start working on the "begger woman that steals from you" NPC. This one would be much simpler than Lhizeas in the dialogue lines, but would be pretty cool.

Gaear, what kind of behavior can be implemented into characters when having them steal from you? (Like dala maybe) Can you have the NPC target specific classifications of items, like weapons only, or have them steal money even?

7. Gaear

Sadly they will steal anything like Dala, so that means full suits of armor, pants, underwear, etc. It's an internal function and hence can't be modified in any way that I know of.

You could probably script a similar function via dialog or even just a heartbeat, but then we'd be going down complicated road and I don't like that road. ;)

8. WinstonShnozwick

Is it only possible to get back stolen items by killing the theif and looting their body?

Could I have a dialogue condition like so;

If you have at least x skill in spot, nothing is stolen and you catch them. If you have less than x skill in spot, items are stolen from you.

9. Gaear

Yeah, but the player won't know what's going on in the traditional way (like when Dala rushes you). And if you say through dialog, "You don't catch the thief and she steals your pants," that will probably piss people off, as obviously you know because you were just told, so they'll just whack her right there even though they don't know anything. Part of the thrill of getting ripped off by Dala the first time is that you might not notice until later, when you wonder what happened to your ring of theft detection (assuming she doesn't steal your unicorn helm instead and put in on right in front of you).

You could also get back stolen items via dialog, as dialog files can contain scripts to find and transfer protos.

10. Gaear

Okay, Lhizeas the lizard man is going into 7.2.

Minor changes:

1. You will not be able to tell Lhizeas that it's too bad the priests upstairs haven't caught him after you've accepted his gift. Aside from that just being mean ;), it seems like Lhizeas would want to take back his gift if he thought you had become an a-hole and were no longer his buddy. But we've got no provision for that, so the best way to go is just not allow it.
    2. I had to take the liberty of making dumb PCs call Lhizeas "Lazy Ass." :p The Troika method was to normally have them use a silly yet similar misnomer like that.
    Note: Lhizeas' normal waypoint area makes it so that parties are not actually likely to encounter him at a distance. If you really wanted that, it wouldl be best to make him patrol a straight corridor with no corners and sight obstructions.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

So, my guard's line didn't make the cut?

Oh well, I did try at least. ;)

*Limps off to tend to his sore knee*

12. Gaear

Don't worry sirchet, he can go in too. But he will probably have to change so as to not control access to Wilfrick (that's already done a different way), and he should probably not be a city hall guard as they already have 'jobs' as far as speaking to the party goes.

Maybe he will just be a random patrol guard.

13. WinstonShnozwick

You shouldnt be able to tell him that its too bad he wasnt caught if you've accepted his gift already. I think I meant it so that line of dialogue over writes the ring line if you start out negative with lhizeas.

I checked the map again and I just couldnt find a good waypoint from the original. Any closer to the hextor place wouldnt make sense- he would be caught by them. And farther away would say the same for anyone that inhabited the castle and knew about the tunnel. Would have to see what it's like ingame before I can really judge.

If I get some free time I'll start working on that beggar NPC.

14. Gaear

Update: turns out sirchet's guard will indeed be in the City Hall but he's just one of those guys patrolling and he doesn't grant access to Willie's chambers. He just has a brief chat with you.

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I wonder how his knee is doing. Someone stole my sweet roll!

Our Host!