Improved/Greater Magic Missile or Missile Storm

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Illustair, Apr 13, 2023.

Remove all ads!
  1. Illustair

Illustair First Order Wizard

Has anyone attempted to create an improved/greater magic missile spell, or missile storm spell? Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  2. August

August Established Member

Buffed Rabbit and Illustair like this.
  3. Illustair

Great guide, thanks for pointing me to the right direction. I could give it a try. I might start at editing the base magic missile just to familiarize myself. But for additional reference, does Sagelight’s last beta that you recompiled have a GitHub? Thanks.

4. August

You might get more out of Dolio's spell mod as it's just the stuff you're gonna stick in the overrides folder.

https://github.com/dolio/toee-mod

Dolio just gave me permission to incorporate this to the duskblade mod I'm working on btw because there's a few duskblade spells there, but check it out. It's just what you need.

You will also need to add the spell to constants.py, which is a file you'll find in templeplus/lib/templeplus/constants.py and will have to edit manually. Look for "spell_magic_missile" in the file and you'll find the list. Add to the back of it and don't take numbers that are used. Please leave alone 1700-1800 because I am gonna use that range.

Illustair and Buffed Rabbit like this.
  5. Illustair

I couldn’t figure out how to remove the magic missile’s limit for the number of targets, and just accepted that it’s not worth it lol. But thanks for taking the time to help, August.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Its probably an internal Temple+ problem - when I tried to use Temple+ it gave me 511 magic missiles. Installing Morpheus' .dll fixed everything.

Illustair and August like this.
  7. Illustair

Hi Ted. So you've managed to successfully remove magic missile's limit? Mind sharing how? And where do I find this .dll by Morpheus? Thanks.

8. Shiningted

All right, I asked for that. I realise you're probably counter-trolling me, but I will spell out that this was only a joking reference to the '511 Magic Missiles' bug caused by improper installing of Moebius' modded .dll. Apologies if I got your hopes up.

Illustair likes this.
  9. August

I think it was a question in earnest! Illustair's just learning the basics.

Illustair likes this.
  10. Illustair

You got me good there lol but it's all in good fun ;). I'm clueless about it until you explained it.

August likes this.
  11. Shiningted

Seriously, wasn't trying to 'get' anyone Illustair, just making a bad joke. Love your work!

Illustair and August like this.
  12. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I have heard about certain bugs that caused 'choose your projectile target' spells like magic missile to go super high or nearly infinite. I'm unsure what happened.

13. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

If you want to remove the limits, you do it via the max_Target entry in the rules file. However, how you do it depends on exactly how you want it to work.

If you just make that number positive, that's the exact maximum number of targets allowed. I think you shouldn't go above 32 targets, though, because that's a hard-coded limit in the game's data structures.

If the number is negative, then it's actually encoding multiple pieces of information in a single number. I haven't done one of these in a while, so I don't remember the details, but the format is something like -...ZZZYX, where:
    1. One of X or Y controls how the number of targets increase with the caster's level. It works like "1 target per (Y+1) levels"
    2. I think the other one might be how many targets are added at each increase. So maybe it's "X targets per (Y+1) levels"
    3. The Zs determine the overall cap.

So, since magic missile is -511, those 1s means "1 target per 2 levels" and the 5 is the "up to 5 targets" part. So if you changed it to -702, it might be "2 targets per level up to 7 targets". It shouldn't be too hard to be sure this is the scheme by changing the number around and observing what happens in game. I think if Z is 0 or absent, it's uncapped, so -1 is probably "1 target per level," since Y and Z are both implicitly 0.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    Buffed Rabbit, August and Illustair like this.
  14. Illustair

Wow, that's a very detailed instruction. Can't wait to try this when I get home. Big thanks, dolio!

Buffed Rabbit likes this.
  15. Illustair

Strangely, I still can't get it to work. I have to make the necessary changes in the 288 - Magic Missile.txt in the "xxx Temple of Elemental Evil\data\rules\spells" folder, right? It would seem that none of the changes affect the spell.

Our Host!