[IMPORTANT] A campaign to get the official tools released

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Agetian, Jun 9, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

Will you participate in the petition to get the official tools released?

1. Yes

391 vote(s)
    97.8%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. Not sure

6 vote(s)
    1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrDTC

DrDTC Member

Count me in! I am a recent DnD addict ever since a friend of mine gave me IW2 and made me fail a year of med! TOEE could have been sooooo much more.

2. ghostphoenix

ghostphoenix Member

As a long time lurker, and admirer of Co8's work - I'm in.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I think the 'ayes' might just sneak over the line.

Ag, what is the next step?

4. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hey Ted,

Well, basically we have to decide how exactly we want to do it. One way we can go is just finding out an e-mail of a certain Atari authority (e.g. a producer) and sending a letter to him explaining what we want, and adding these votes in there. Another way is we can start up a site and collect both electronic petitions and letters from people, and send them over later to Atari.

The second way is more 'aggressive' and technically may put Atari on alert and make them take a rather bad action (for us). Also, it requires someone who would vote to collect all those letters and re-send them later to Atari. Also, I think ~70 votes is still small for such a full-blown campaign, it if were at least 500 we could have been speaking about it.

The first one has a very big chance of making Atari just ignore us without an answer (we tried doing that before, and it didn't work).

I'm waiting for proposals here, I can't be all-alone in decision making, you know. ;)

- Agetian

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Maybe our friends from Troika know of an ear at Atari they can bend with the idea? Sort of feel things out & see what the response might be to getting the tools released. I rather doubt that everyone associated with Atari "hates" all the guys from Troika. If the response is negative, we do nothing & keep up as we are. If the response is favorable, then we concern ourselves with what to do next.

6. BTime

BTime Member

I'd toss in my support too. However unlikely the desired result may be. Aside from the possibility of pulling a few people away from NWN2, there's also the Dungeons & Dragons Online franchise that seems to be struggling at the moment.

7. Gumph

Gumph Member

Well, what better way to start my first post on this illustrious board than to give my support for the release of the official editor. :wave:
    I think it is a great idea and am in support of it 100%. However I think it would be prudent of us to wait until after the release of NWN2 before sending the request off, Taluntain raises some very valid points and if he is as experienced in the ways of Atari as people think he is then it would be unwise not to listen to him.

better to get the tools late than not at all - IMHO.

I would just like to add my thanks to all the people involved in getting the Co8 mods out, I have not played TOEE in earnest yet, but I will have the mods installed before I even create my first character. If it were not for you guys there is no way I would have bought the game, who needs all the hassle of annoying bugs 24/7??

cheers all,
    G

8. Nikademus

Nikademus Member

I just found this site a few days ago. The mods that I have downloaded here have made a game that I was frustrated with to the point of prettymuch forgetting about, into an experience I will be looking forward too.

You have my support and gratitude :)

9. TiamatReborn

TiamatReborn Member

I'm also a fairly recent arrival here, but I like Troika, I adore D&D, and I can't see how this would be a bad thing. If you ever need my assisstance, I'll be glad to help, just tell me how.

10. pudy26

pudy26 Member

I've been lurking for quite some time. You guys do some amazing stuff for this game. You have my vote and thanks.

11. ender2000

ender2000 Member

Another "YES!" for you.

12. KatScratches

KatScratches Member

I've been a RP-er since the old-style D&D (Basic, Expert, Companion, Master). Bought NWN (I enjoyed it, but only after the mods started coming out), as well as a slew of other RPGs... Anyone remember that MythDrannor Pool of Rad? It made me nostalgic for the original, with all the problems I had with that one.

Anyways, I heard the problems with ToEE, and avoided it, but with the info from this site I am thinking of going down to the store to see if it is available.

Count me in for supporting the mod community. I mean, look at how long Half-Life was alive and viable with all the community mod support...

The only reason I can see why Atari wouldn't want to release the source is likely what someone said earlier... licensing the game engine to some other suck.. purchaser. No harm in asking, right?

kat

13. danimal1968

danimal1968 Member

They're selling it for 9 bucks at buy.com and 9.99 at amazon.com. I dunno if you'll have an easy time finding it in your local store, but look in the jewel case discount section if your local store has one.

14. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

One idea, this may be out there but I'll float it anyway . . .

What if Co8 offered Atari the finished product of KotB sort of, ummm, in exchange for the worldbuilder toolset? If money is their primary concern (and it seems it is), having something they need to invest minimal $$$ in to develop (hell, they could offer it as a downloadable module for, say, $10-$15, the way NWN offers those 'premium' modules, or Total War just did the Alexander campaign, sidestepping even production/distribution costs), might be something they'd be very interested in. And the possibility of more coming their way might be something they'd be willing to invest the distribution of the toolset in.

I know there's probably 10,000 reasons this would be a bad idea. The most important is of course Co8--you guys seriously deserve better treatment than this. But you want the toolset, and that is the only true bargaining chip you have I can think of, to get their attention. If suc ha deal did go through, at least larger distribution would get you glory (and, if it is even moderately successful, a resume item which could mean future employment in the field) still. And, not to forget, the toolset (helluva trophy). Maybe even get the idea of future modules rolling out moving again inside Atari.

This is probably against the modder code of ethics, to consider pursuing the possibility of your product being sold, not free for all. Just a random thought.

Probably too much coffee before bed, I know. :coffee: Think it might be worth considering?:scratchhe

15. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Yeah, I know each modder here has his own reason to try and ask Atari about some more support, but personally for me it's not even a question of toolset anymore, since look - we already have the toolset which allows us to make KotB, and with each update this toolset gets better and better. This is more of a moral question, as to whether Atari really cares about its fan communities enough to provide some extra support for the fans who actually deserve support at least for their diligence and perseverence.

Anyway, after some more research I came to a conclusion that Atari hardly cares about anything else than big money, and that's sad.

But anyway, thanks to everyone who showed support here in this thread. Should the modders of Co8 decide to give this a go, I'm always ready and willing to provide maximum support here. I'd recommend personally to wait until NWN2 goes gold though, because that's definitely Atari's sole affair today.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: I dunno what Ted thinks about such a proposal since KotB is his project first of all, but personally I think that Atari simply doesn't deserve such a project, and even half of it. This is just my opinion though.
    - Agetian

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!