[IMPORTANT] A campaign to get the official tools released

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Agetian, Jun 9, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

Will you participate in the petition to get the official tools released?

1. Yes

391 vote(s)
    97.8%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. Not sure

6 vote(s)
    1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew

Drew Kind of a prick

Not only does this present the possible risk of legal action as Tal mentioned, but the tools aren't likely to be as useful as you think. When a game developer doesn't intend to release its tools to the public, it rarely bothers to refine them to the point that they will be even remotely user-friendly. Without the source code, it is highly unlikely that the tools will even be all that useful for co8's purposes and, to put it bluntly, there is no way in hell that Atari is going to release the source code of such a recent game. You don't compromise the source code of an engine that is still viable. Atari may plan on making another game with TOEE's engine and even if they don't plan on using the engine to create another CRPG they are likely thinking about selling it for the right price. Potential game developers are going to be less (in other words, not even remotely) interested in buying the engine if its source code is public domain.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  2. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

I don't care to make a prediction, but if you want to add another voice to the cacophany consider mine sounded.

3. Grill Kick

Grill Kick Member

I'll happily sign such a petition. :) I also know several people who don't follow the forum but play the game that will sign it as well.

4. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

More than a day has passed, the thing has been viewed 400+ times and only 33 people voted so far that they would agree to take some kind of action. Unless this number gets at least 10-15 times as big as that I don't think it's actually necessary to start any kind of full-scale activity since we'll only be laughed at, or ignored. Speaking of asking Atari politely - well, can do that, but I don't think that will actually change anything since I actually did that before and got no answer.

I know I may be rushing things with statistics (it's only been a day), but judging by the number of visitors around here (I actually monitored the thing for some time) within the last day the number could have been at least triple as bigger.

Ah well, I guess we won't change anything either way. Hopefully Atari will go under in a year or two and afterwards the D&D license will bump over to some other company which will be able to do much more with it and actually revive the D&D CRPGs.

I'm still keeping this thread sticky since I want to see if we really have only below 40 supporters, among them half being the core or newly-come modders, or if we have more than that. If it's so, it's really a shame - to have ~6800 people registered and more coming every day, and have such a small number of people who would actually be ready to give at least moral support to the community they are a part of (we are not speaking about any "material" support as far as donations and stuff go - since we are a free community which offers all materials entirely for free without any limitations).

- Agetian

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  5. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

Well I voted for it, but I'm leary of losing what we already have... This game sat on my shelf starting two weeks after I bought it and was recently revived when I saw all of the neat stuff you guys have done. I don't know the first thing about modding, but I happily play the game with all the upgrades and fixes and am really looking forward to the new mod currently under construction for a whole new adventure. While I do wish the modders had whatever tools they needed to make the best games possible, I don't want to lose what we already have. I do understand corporations and if Atari thinks they may lose a portion of the ~6800 possible sales of NWN2 because of TOEE being modded and reused you can bet this site will be shut down quickly and those who they can show evidence have done any illegal editting of the game will be prosecuted just to send a message if nothing else... That's how the big boys play, however unfortunate it is.

6. almondblight

almondblight Member

I'm down. Perhaps pointing out the popularity of NWN and how the mods tied to that could help.

Or, if they really want money, maybe ask them to release a $20 gold edition with the fixed game and the editor. I mean, I imagine the fact that the game was released broken hurt sales a bit, and I know something similar happened with Dungeon Lords and they released a fixed edition. I imagine they didn't release the modding tools because they were planning on a sequel, but now that those plans seem scrapped I would think that they might as well squeeze what they can out of an old game. Ok, enough of my crazy ideas, just hope something happens.

7. Agetian

I won't be speaking for everyone here, but I for one, being one of the 6800 people, will NOT buy Neverwinter Nights 2 no matter what. No matter whether TOEE is still modded or not. In fact, I'm simply not going to buy another Atari game at all because I consider it to be a failure almost automatically. And NWN2 is going to be another "pop D&D" Diablo, and I'm sick and tired of Diablo conquering various genres it shouldn't be conquering (and D&D in the first place, as it happened with the first Neverwinter Nights).

- Agetian

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Don't feel too disheartened Agetian, of those 6000+ members only 1565 have ever made at least 1 post (at least according to the members list) and only 1245 members have visited Co8 since the 1st of January 2006.

I share your disgust for NWN pop D&D rules. D&D is a complex game, D&D CRPG's should be just as complex. Diablo 1 & 2 however are not D&D and were never intended to be like D&D, it shares the genre and is an ok game in it's own right, a little too simple for my liking, but each to thier own I guess.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  9. Agetian

@ Allyx: Well yeah, but 1200 is not 40 anyway - somehow I expected a "tiny bit" more support on the side of players.

- Agetian

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

If nothing else, I think 5.0 is going to be a big hit and may bring in a bunch of people. I really like this game, and I'm kind of surprised there's not a lot more people involved. Time will tell.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Since I have been visiting these forums, it has always been a few to several people sign on when they visit here [who are, mostly, regulars] and there are an additional two times up to as many as six times the number of people who never sign on while visiting here, daily.

[EDIT] It's like they feel they do not know enough about D&D as a game or its rules to cast an opinion or vote OR are afraid to make an Internet site signon account [oh no, cannot do that] OR they, honestly, do not care to post anything.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  12. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

Well, you can rely on my e-help, for what it's worth. I might not have a lot to say here, but I thoroughly enjoy all the work you've done over the years.

13. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

I'll put my support!

14. The Rogue Trader

The Rogue Trader Established Member

Exactly what I was thinking (and so I quoted everything, altough it's a direct violation of netiquette). We all live are in a world that follows the rules of free market, so we'll have to work with them. If Atari pushes games that we do not like at the (deliberate) expense of their games that we like, well, they do it at their own risk (market-wise). I'm not saying that I think they'll end like SSI, but I do think they're making the same mistakes, and intentionally too.
    I do not know the costs they have to pay in order to put a copy on the shelves, but I think they're passing over the chanche of grabbing, all for themselves, a market niche.
    I understand they won't be able to support a game that does have problems and that they didn't make, being programmed by a company that is no more, so I guess they would be quite at loss if they wanted to -say- realease a ToEE Gold edition, but, still, they shouldn't pass the opportunity to make a little money (and brand diffusion) without doing any actual work to deserve it. Or they could discover, someday, that the "invisible hand" is spanking them.

BTW, I voted "yes".

15. Drew

Drew Kind of a prick

Of course you did. The single "no" voter made his identity no secret. :wave:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!