I'm participating!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shiningted, Jan 21, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. florian1

florian1 Established Member

For Chaos (and other Domains), since the Magic Circle Spells don't work in ToEE (I think?), maybe they could be replaced. For Chaos, either Scare or Tasha's Hideous Laughter (both level 2 Wiz) could fit into the level 3 slot. Both seem to increase chaos among one's enemies.

For level 6, maybe Confusion (level 4 Wiz) could be inserted, and for level 8 Insanity (Wiz 7).

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

For Air level 9: Arctic Blast- basically the Ice Storm spell with greater damage and longer duration. And for Destruction, would Mass Destruction be possible?

3. florian1

For Destruction, it would be nice to include the spell Destruction somehow. Maybe Mass as suggested, or even just insert it at level 8 (it is a Cleric 7 spell). Another option could be Inflict Critical Wounds, Mass, although there are already a bunch of Inflict spells.

For level 9 slot, Meteor Swarm (Wiz 9) seems like a nice destructive and noisy spell. Wail of the Banshee or Horrid Wilting also seem destructive.

4. florian1

Applying Mass to the Destruction spell might be a bit overpowered as a level 9 spell, considering Destruction is already a level 7 spell for Clerics.

5. florian1

My only thought for Earth is Meteor Swarm for level 9. I know it is a "Fire" spell, but they are really just big rocks that have so much kinetic energy that they explode on impact. Part of the damage is Bludgeoning.....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  6. florian1

Evil
    If Magic Circle does not work, perhaps Bestow Curse could replace it, or Prayer.

For the level 6 slot, Harm or Mass Inflict Moderate Wounds are possibilities. Perhaps not better than summoning an evil creature.....

Jumping to Knowledge (can't think of anything better for Fire, Good, or Healing), the only addition could be True Seeing for level 7, or make it level 6 and Analyze Dweomer moves to level 7. Summon Spells don't really seem appropriate in this Domain.

7. florian1

Law

Again, if Magic Circle is non-functional, it could be replaced with Prayer, Divine Power, Dismissal, or Discern Lies.

Luck

To replace the Spelling Turning in the RAW, maybe Spell Resistance could be level 5, and bump Break Enchantment and Mislead up a level each.

For level 8, my only thought is Prismatic Spray, and only because it has a strong random element to it.....

Magic

For level 9 (or maybe lower and bump other spells up), would it be possible to create a (Greater) Globe of Invulnerability, that blocks spells of level 4, 5, and/or 6?

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Since Flame Strike is a 5th level cleric spell, if you bump it to 6th, I'd definitely add a metamagic effect to it.

9. florian1

Plant

Not sure that Spike Stones fits the Plant theme.

One possible way to fill the one blank spot would be to include either Goodberry at level 1, or Poison (and assume the Poison is plant based ;)) at level 3, and bump all the other spells up one level. If Spike Stones is deemed not appropriate, both of those spells could be used.

Protection

Protection seems to be very general in nature, so lots of spells can be considered "protective". Possible fills for the one missing spell could include Greater Dispel Magic, Break Enchantment, Death Ward (or does that spell not work?), Repel Vermin, Prayer, Wind Wall, Mordekainen's Faithful Hound, Fire Shield, and likely others. Again, just insert, and bump other spells up a notch.

Strength

Divine Power could be added for a ninth spell: it gives +6 to strength. Or Greater Heroism.

Sun

Only thing I can think of adding is Prismatic Spray (but the caster would have to carry a prism around).

10. florian1

If it gets cast as a 6th level spell, then it is effect "Heightened", and the save DC is one point higher than as a 5th level spell. Or I think that might be the case.

11. florian1

Travel

If desperate for another spell, you could try to fit in Expeditious Retreat. Only a first level spell, but not one normally available to Clerics. Maybe Freedom of Movement?

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Can someone confirm that these spells are broken or have been fixed?

Re all your suggestions about 'bumping things up' in the original lists - they are generally very good suggestions, but the first rule of Co8 is pretty much, go by the rules. So I won't be changing any of the existing ones unless, like the Magic Circle spells, they don't actually work.
    Can't find that one Gehennis, can you be more specific?
    Mordenkainen's Hound for Animal :)
    Done.
    I could add a line to check for the Domain, but then every casting (including just standard clericy ones with that Domain)would get the metamagic effect. OR, I'd have to make a whole new spell - doable as I said, but there's finite spell slots. I'll think about it.
    Done.
    Done.
    Stretching it, but the best options I have. Done.
    Noooo, no no no no no.... :no: You don't think they already thought of that and left it out for a reason? (Probably s&g)? Destruction gets Disintegrate, Death gets Destruction, and never the twain shall meet.

You know, I think I could make Wind Walk, but I'm not sure there would be any point to it in ToEE...

Anyways, I have updated the list above. We now have at least 8 of spell for every domain (and 9 in some cases). I can live with 8. EXCEPT for Knowledge and Travel - c'mon, people, everyone put your thinking caps on! Think outside the box! Motivational comment #5, etc! Also, if you vehemently disagree with where I am taking this, say so!

Note that I am keeping a level of Animal open to explore the Shapechange thing, otherwise I will fill it with Summon an Animal VII or something.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  13. florian1

I have no arguments with any of your choices. My ideas are half-baked and a bit on the fly.

If Travel gets a Summon Animal, maybe it could be a horse : )

14. florian1

For Knowledge, would it be possible to create a spell based on Fox's Cunning, except with +8 instead of +4 bonus (Dragon's Cunning?) as a higher level spell? Depending on which spell level you choose, a little bumping could be done, since several of the spells are not Cleric spells anyway.

Trying to think outside the box for ya.

15. florian1

For Trickery, Insanity could fill out the level 8 spot.

For Knowledge, Planar Ally could be used, since in theory it could be used as a source of information. A stretch in ToEE, but.....

War could use Chain Lightning, Tenser's Transformation, Cloudkill, Heroes' Feast, Mass Bull's Strength, Harm, and I am sure many more.

For Travel, how about a "Teleport Other" spell, that targets one or more enemies, and you get to choose where to send them? They could even be there waiting for you if you ever go to that location.

Our Host!