If you had to write the next version:

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lava, Sep 25, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lava

Lava Established Member

So, if it was your job to write the next version of dungeons and dragons rules in preparation for the next turn-based combat simulator, how would you adjust the multi-classing rules, if at all? I'm specifically thinking about how to make as many class combinations as possible into something balanced and useful. I used to think the evenly-spread fighter-magic user (or the basic rules (remember those?) "elf" were gods among men. Multi-classing the spell-casters didn't feel that way to me anymore with 3rd edition, in fact, just the opposite. So... if you sort of agree or whatever, what would you change?
    I used to love the idea of an evenly-leveled cleric-wizard too, but the higher level spells are often desirable that it's hard to sacrifice them now for "versatility." I'd rather have a fireball than a cure light wounds and a magic missile. ;)
    My opinion is that in the old days, if you had two classes, you divided your experience in half, leaving you aprox. 1 level lower than everyone else, since with each level you need twice the experience of the previous. But these days, a 5/5 spellcaster is nothing like a 10 lvl caster.

Our Host!