Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, we can totally do it.
    Fair enough. I was thinking a bit about it - your writing over, say, the Nulb map - and yeah, it probably wouldn't work without redoing a lot of stuff. O well.

I'm doing kiddy-related nonsense for the next few hours, but can write up something after that on using waypoints. To hide monsters, either physically hit the 'conceal' flag in WorldEd, or first heartbeat it with attachee.concealed_set(1) . Have a look at any of the cat scripts in KotB for examples.

And yes, you can get to Kuldahar Pass without encountering the Orcs - just go to the outside of the Cave, see the wagons, and go back and report this to Hrothgar. That part is already working.

EDIT: Ahhh, that part wasn't a question... never mind ;)

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Ted, could I ask for your help getting the kids with the squirrel talking? I was thinking I could make the squirrel itself make the kids talk (like various npc's did in DH) but I couldn't figure out how to script it. I'd like it to use floatlines like Furnok and his gambling games or Tolub's fist fight banter.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  3. Shiningted

O yeah, I meant to do that ;) Also, get a few of the townsfolk moving around etc. Sorry, I should have said :)

EDIT: Did you want elaborate floatlines or just the mes-lines (like 'friendly fire!')? The latter seem a bit more IWDish, but the former are my preference.

4. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Exciting News.I'm just playing IwD1 in HOW Mode, is your version going to have different difficulty levels like the original game. The lack of that is in my opinion the only serious flaw in the shining gem that Circle of Eight has turned ToEE into.

5. Shiningted

Ok... waypoints. First of all, you need to set the flags. Right-click your mob, select Edit, then click the Flags button (3rd down on right). Toward the bottom there are 'waypoints day' and 'waypoints night', click either or both. (You can set them independently so the mob only walks waypoints at one or the other - night or day - but you can only set one lot of waypoints. So, for instance, the builder guy in KotB building the church walks his waypoints and stops and does his hammering by day, but by night goes to his Standpoint by the campfire - ditto the builders of Burne's castle in Hommlet. Or you can click both and the mob just walks waypoints 24/7. Note that a mob set to do his waypoints by day, who is at a Standpoint by night - if you enter the map by night - then pass time til day, will generally then walk to his first waypoint, which is pretty cool).

To set the waypoints themselves, make sure you can see them (View / Objects / Waypoints) then right click the mob and select Waypoints. A blue box will then occur on the tile the mob is on, marked 0, and you can add boxes marked 1, 2 and 3. Hit save when done. If you want to change them, just click Waypoints again but you have to start from scratch.

Once you have created the waypoints, right-click the mob again (there is a little asterisk next to 'Waypoints' to indicate it has some, as above press Waypoints again if you want to delete those and restart). When you right-click the mob, press Edit. The buttons on the right, the bottom one is 'Waypoints' and brings up the Waypoint editor. This allows you to add delays, animations and rotations to each waypoint. It allows for 5 but you may have noticed only 3 (4 including 0) are allowed when setting the waypoints.

That's a limitation of WorldEd though. The waypoints are written into the mob and you can have as many as you like if you use Ag's WorldBuilder. Case in point - the barmaid in the Green Gryphon in KotB. I've got no idea how many she has but she walks all over the place, and each time walks back to the bar - 10 at least if not more. To set Waypoints in WorldBuilder, I don't have it installed on this PC but basically you just use x/y coords each time, and then add animations, rotation etc. It's much easier in WorldBuilder, but again don't forget to set the waypoint flags. (All of the KotB first demo was done with WorldBuilder, We didn't discover the WorldEd til later).

Hope that helps :)

6. Allyx

@Shiningted do you know if setting waypoints on a hiding mob makes them sneak around at all?

@Oleg Ben Loleg It theoretically could have different difficulty settings, doesn't currently, but adding a dialogue option on the shopmap portal to set a 'difficulty level' global_vars[#] then adding mobs that turn off if that vars is too low wouldn't be difficult to do, a little time consuming perhaps. It's something I'll consider doing at some point.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I think it's crucial to avoid distributing the art assets wholesale. I've started delving into the IE file formats, and I'll see how I can help you with that. Fortunately there's good documentation on the game files by the fans, and so far they don't seem too complicated.

As for removed doors, I don't think anyone would mind if you included a few tiles here and there, just not the whole map.

8. Allyx

I hope you have some joy with that Sitra Achara, that would certainly save some potentially serious legal backlash, alas it's well out of my comfort zone as far as modding is concerned, please keep me informed of any developments regarding this.

9. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Heh, apparently the GemRB guys have had a python IE file crawler for a long time now!

https://github.com/gemrb/iesh

I think this could be used to do the conversion at runtime. Will have to look into it some more.

10. Allyx

I added the orcs to the Cave, but they are proving too powerful, and or too numerous, I'll adjust their stats and equipment a little to help balance the fight and loot, also need to adjust the Orc Shaman's stats, spells and AI routines.

11. ineth

ineth Member

I don't think Easthaven is ever accessible from the worldmap.

At the end of the Lower Dorn's Deep part of the game, you fight the main boss of that place - and once you've got his hitpoints down below a certain threshold, a cutscene plays in which he teleports away and you are teleported to the destroyed Easthaven as well.
    There, you complete the end-game sequence (gaining entrance to the Temple, fighting your way to the top, and beating the main boss), and then the game ends. You can then export your characters, in order to import them into a HoW-only game (in case you haven't already gone to the HoW areas via Hjollder in Kuldahar).

12. ineth

ineth Member

Kuldahar outdoors map [AR2100]:
    • Nate (DNATE.DLG) – A boy who greets you when you first arrive in Kuldahar.
    • Brother Ferg (DFERG.DLG) – A priest standing at the temple entrance, who can tell you where to find different services in town.
    • Mirek (DMIREK.DLG) – A townsperson who has an optional quest for you:
      His brother has been killed by a Yeti in the Vale of Shadows. When you go there anyway for the main plot, find the Yeti Chieftain and kill it, and it will drop the family heirloom that Mirek's brother wore. Bring it back to Mirek.
    • Multiple unnamed "Townsperson" (DKUTOWNG.DLG) – You can ask them about places you intend to visit, and sometimes they have helpful tips. The same dialog tree is shared by all, though some options can only be chosen once. More of these townspersons are in some of the indoor maps as well, I won't list them separately there.
    Orrick's Tower, Level 1 [AR2101]
    • Weenog (DWEENOG.DLG) – A tame goblin working as Orrick's assistant.
    Conlan's Smithy [AR2103]
    • Conlan (DCONLAN.DLG) – Smith and shopkeeper, with a quest:
      His son, Sheemish, has gone missing. You'll find the boy in level 2 of Dragon's Eye, being held captive by Trolls and Talonite priests, and you can rescue him. Then when you return to Conlan, he gives you the key to his otherwise unlockable treasure chest as a reward.
    Temple of Ilmater [AR2107]
    • Sister Calliana (DCALLIAN.DLG) – Acting head priestess, with some quest-related content:
      She says that the official head priestess, Egenia, has gone missing. You'll find Egenia on level 2 of Dragon's Eye, held captive by the same evil cult as Sheemish. When you rescue Egenia and return, Calliana thanks you, but gives no reward I think.

Also, you need to talk to Calliana in order to complete the "Voice of Durdel Anatha" quest that you get in Lower Dorn's Deep.
    • Brother Gus (DGUS.DLG) – Another priest of the temple.
    The Airship [AR2108]
    • Oswald Fiddlebender (DOSWALD.DLG) – Gnomish inventor and shopkeeper.
      If you talk to him while you have certain items in your inventory, he wants to barter for them. This can also lead to him upgrading an item for you.
    House [AR2109] – the one near the temple
    • Hjollder (HJOLLDE.DLG) – The main quest giver of the HoW expansion. In the original IWD without HoW installed, that house was locked and impossible to enter.
    House [AR2110] – the one at the center of the map
    • Urnst (DURNST.DLG) – Frightened potter. Doesn't say anything of relevance.
    The Root Cellar [AR2111] – tavern
    • Lysan (DLYSANBA) – barmaid.
      She's not what she seems: You'll meet her again in the Vale of Shadows, and learn that she is secretly a priestess on a special mission for the evil goddess Auril. (That version of her uses a different DLG file, however.)
    • Whitcomb (DWHITCOM.DLG) – bartender.
      Once you've exposed and killed Lysan, you can tell him about it and he'll give you some belongings she left behind.
    Gerth's Equipment Shoppe [AR2113]
    • Gerth (DGERTH.DLG) – collector and shopkeeper.

Note that Kuldahar is the main quest hub for most of the game, and the party returns there in between the wilderness/dungeon areas such as the Vale of Shadow and Dragon's Eye. Therefore, some of the NPCs in Kuldahar have conditional dialog depending on what parts of the game you've already completed. For example, the trigger sections in the DLG may check the "SPRITE_IS_DEADYXUNOMEI" variable to see whether you've already killed Yxunomei (the end boss of Dragon's Eye), and stuff like that.

13. Shiningted

Thanks Ineth, that's perfect.
    I think ToEE style fights are just harder. I've been playing with a generic party (Mailee and such, the pre-gen characters) and they've been pwned. The beetle fight killed one, while the goblin fight in the south of Easthaven led to TPK. The main question is the XP and whether the players will be the appropriate level when they finish. Otherwise, make it tough.

Anyways, I have been trying to improve Hrothgar (make him run out the door, etc) and no luck on anything. But here are the kids. They now randomly comment on any squirrel in the vicinity, so not only the four standing around but any others you have strolling past will say something. Note you'll have to change the protos.tab for their dlg and heartbeat entries to 432.

I'll keep working :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention: I have had no luck whatsoever with downloading the latest version. I tried many times using both IE and Chrome to download it and I can't get past a certain point (800mb or so). Rather than force you to hunt for a new host, can you just upload the latest files without the artwork? I have the various Kuldahar Pass art files already and that would save many mbs.

Attached Files:

14. Allyx

Ok, so I have all the monsters and NPC's in the Prologue chapter added (minus a few dialogue files, and I need to change Hickory Branch's Captain Krunch into a 2nd level fighter) and I've started adding various items to chests and monsters...

In Invensource.mes I see some items listed have a random range (EG 100,4016 for 100% chance of getting a shortspear) and some groups of numbers are listed in parenthesis (EG (4111,4112,4113) I assume this is for one of the following), can you mix them together to get a random chance of one of 3 items? (EG (15,4997 15,4181 70,4132) to get 15% chance of one of 2 items or 70% chance of the third) or will I just be spawing 3 doors into the Elite Goblins inventory?

15. Allyx

Can do, Gimme a sec to plug in those dialogues for the kids and I'll upload the files minus maps in a few minutes - though it will take a while to upload.

Our Host!