Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Awesome work Ted, can't wait to test it out, and getting those dialogue files into the game.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hey Allyx,

3 more dlgs and py files, (Accalia, Damien and Gaspar) tested with quests done etc, and an updated gamequestlog.mes. Also,. I've fixed the dialogue converter and will send it over in a couple hours.

Also, I added a couple new threads :)

Attached Files:

3. Allyx

Cheers mate, how do I make the IWD module I'm building into a modpack so TFE-X doesn't keep reverting my files when I switch modules? I'm guessing I need to .zip certain files and rename the file extension?

4. Shiningted

There should be a readme in your main folder from TFE-X to answer that... mine is in Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil 1.0.1\docs_KotB 1.0.1\tfe_x\tfe-x-faq and tfe-x-readme.

Essentially you need a zip of your data and modules folders that is just a storage archive (no compression). So it will be IWD.zip or something. You then rename that to IWD.tfm (over the howls of Windows). Read the readme because it tells you where to put temple.dll and such.

EDIT: Very busy getting drunk atm but I will try to knock over the rest of the dialogues asap and send them over, only about 4 to go.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Al, I'd just copy over an entire separate directory with the IWD stuff. (e.g I have two in my GoG folder - ToEE and KotB - that each have the data/modules et al structure.) If each has its own copy of TFE-X to launch (which lives in the respective root directory), you can run two or more games concurrently without switching modules. (Very good practice for dev/testing.)

6. Allyx

Yeah I have a clone installation for KotB, I need to copy over the proto and files for the beetles in the cellar at some point.

I totally hate python scripting by the way, I had successfully added Ted's dialogue for Damien, and had him speaking to me, offering me the quest to get his fish from the goblins, (I've been using the giant Gar corpse for the fish quest item) but couldn't get the script to advance the dialogue to the required line to complete the quest, so I fiddled with it a bit, now he won't speak at all, and the goblins don't attack at all. Grrrr.

Edit: Messed up my install completely... I'm gonna give my tired brain a rest and fix it later.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Ha. I think the problem with Python is that it's hyper-rationality (when you figure out your mistake, it's always purely rational) built around a fundamentally irrational system. As opposed to say the AI, which is just fundamentally irrational. (Doesn't do the same thing twice despite the same set of instructions, etc.)

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

What are you using to edit Python? You might consider using an IDE like PyCharm, it will catch many silly mistakes such as typos, missing colons and wrong indentation before running the game. There's a free community edition available.

9. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I like python (x,y) with spyder IDE more. It's also free.

10. Shiningted

Cowards - Notepad, Notepad!!!
    Yeah I have several copied versions of this and that across a couple of computers, this works fine for me (fresh install on each computer of course, then copies).

Just emailed you the dialogue converter in all its horror Al :) but as mentioned I'll do the rest of the Easthaven ones.

11. Shiningted

Ok, here they are. Everard, Elisia, Erevain and Jhonen, with quests done and tested (some of Erevard's stuff is very late game and will have to be based off map changes so you can't access it easily yet). Also updated gamequestlog and a couple of older ones that I had to update the flags and such.

That should be everyone for Easthaven, let me know if not.

I'll be offline for a couple of days, taking the kids to grandma's.

Attached Files:

12. Allyx

Cheers ted, I think i've repaired my install now, will have to add all the mobs, and get the dialogues linked up to them etc... Also need to either move Easthaven to a map number that doesn't have world map access, or disable the moathouse map's world map access in temple.dll itself - probably less work that way, just need to figure out how...

13. Shiningted

I was wondering about that... Kwik change of Easthaven's map number then alter every reference of '5002' in jumppoint.tab to the new number should do it. Do it before you add mobs obviously so the mobs don't get a 5002 map number standpoint added to their internal stuff.

14. Allyx

Yay, got that map working as it should, started working on adding NPC's today too. Grisella is being played by Gloria Gundigoot, Hrothgar by Rufus (doesn't want to run_off), and Fruella will be the female Dwarf NPC (need to change her model to that of a blonde bearded Dwarf still), and the townspeople are the labourers from Hommlet (still only replying with standard floatlines) but progress has been made :)

15. Shiningted

"Ar, ye be the heroes what saved us from Zuggtmoy... have a knucklehead for yer efforts."

@ineth, I've got that 'every dialogue file in the game' you posted earlier, can you throw up a few suggestions for the next phase of the story for me to test the converter v2 on? The list doesn't have to be comprehensive at this point, just a few names.

You know, I don't know who Rufus is... there you go. A beard on Fruella will be an improvement.

Our Host!