Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

See py00406Game_Portal in the Co8 modpack for the script. It refers to movies listed in modules/ToEE/movies/movies.mes by number. The associated .mp3 is important because it'll determine how long the slide shows for.

The slides themselves are kept in data/slide, and the .mp3s are kept in data/sound/speech/slide.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Gah, ninjaed by Gaear!
    Sounds like one of the things the AI does is wander around waving a lantern and making a racket so you get random encounters :p
    Will fix.
    Ahh ok, I thought maybe that was a map you hadn't removed the doors yet. I put a lot of work into those doors (and that map) but the SVBing is not perfect - you can still see into the rooms slightly when you walk past the shut doors, haven't been able to fix that, so if you want to scrap the doors I understand. Alternately we can unfog the room and have both openable doors and no worrying about the SVBing.
    I know the bit you mean, will fix.
    Interesting... so you have a door that opens there? Rather than hide the icons behind doors, we can just add a timed use_item scenario so that when you open the door you see it swing open and then in you go. If you change the previously discussed 'hand' icon to a portal icon it will then do the 'turn into a door when you hover over a door' as discussed. (But it may cause that icon to pop up in other situations you don't want it, we'll have to see). This can also incorporate the locked door thing for Aspel's workshop (which I was aware of but haven't done anything about yet).
    Haven't added any mobs, containers or otherwise.

@ineth - I see a few references to the journal in the dlgs, is there a journal file somewhere? I'd like to use its wording for the quests in gamequestlog.

Taluntain likes this.
  3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

With Aspel's workshop, the door in is locked from the outside, as a wolf has found it's way inside, he doesn't offer a key though, so ideally the door should require someone to pick the lock - much like the locked door to the sewers in Verbobonc which hides the ladder icon down to the underneath of the city.

The timed event taking you into the building when you open the door itself is an interesting idea, I'd skim read over that bit and didn't understand what you meant until now, if that were implemented though, would you be prevented from re-entering the building if the door is already open?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  4. Shiningted

Doors reset when you arrive on the map, so when you come out it will always be shut :D

Btw, I'll need a few days before I start on the dlg converter (I have to get my "C++ for people dummer than dummies" out of storage.) I'll spend it doing this map stuff.

EDIT: I'll also have to play the dang game ;)

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The option to force the door to Aspel's workshop is also offered in the original game. ;)

6. Allyx

Yup just played through that scenario today after installing IWD my desktop PC (it lives!!! And dual booting both Windows Vista and Windows 10, though I'm having difficulties finding drivers for my ATI Radeon HD 5850 graphics cards for windows Vista, it is at least working.), which now has both IWD and ToEE installed on currently.

I foresee the 3 screen setup very useful for comparing the games running side by side, and a third screen for Worldbuilder, World Ed, or whatever else I need it for. :D

Is it possible to set up a door in ToEE to be breakable by initiating combat with it?

7. Gaear

Yeah, although they have to be scenery objects I believe, not really doors. Check out what I did with the cave blockage thing in Hickory Branch or the portals in the top floor of the Verbo castle.

8. Allyx

Ok, I'll take a look when I'm not at work or asleep... would you think it's possible to have both "break" and "pick lock" options on the same door at the same time though? Since both are viable options in this scenario either one should open the door.

9. Gaear

I don't think so, since you can only interface with actual doors to pick their locks. But you can only 'break' a scenery object (so to speak.) Stupid ToEE.

edit - although I suppose you could devise a script to run on interacting with the object in some way that ran a d20 roll, like I think Ted has done before in KotB. It wouldn't involve the leaning over animation though. (I think san_pick_lock or whatever it is only works on doors, but I don't know I ever actually tried it on anything else.)

10. Allyx

At a push I guess I could do both via dialogue, like with Liv's trap chest on level 4 of the temple, or SA's Earth temple barricades, but that would be the worst case scenario.

If I had to choose one method or rhe other, I'd go with the break option, as anyone can do it.

11. Shiningted

Challenge accepted!

I better buy a copy of this game... Al, can i get an official position on whether we are converting the original or the EE?

12. Allyx

I have the EE version Ted, basically from what I understand, the EE version is the same game, but adapted to run on the final version of the IE engine, all content should remain unchanged (save for patches ect) I bought my copy on Steam fyi. It also includes the expansion, Heart of Winter and a mini expansion?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  13. ineth

ineth Member

Each journal reference in the dialog files gives you a StrRef number. You can look up the associated string using NeaInfinity, or on the command-line using WeiDu like this:
    Code:
    weidu.exe --string 20671
    The BGEE.SQL file (viewable using NearInfinity) has a list of all quests and their names (specified as StrRef's). The quest name is shown as a title above journal entries in the journal interface.
    The same file also has a list of journal entries belonging to each quest (again, specified as StrRef's).

With the help of WeiDu and some scripting, I've put together all of that information to compile the following list:
    (Note that this also includes the expansion content.)

I hope it's useful to you in that form.

This is not specific to that door, it's a general game mechanic.
    Locked doors and containers can be picked by a Thief of sufficient skill, or bashed by a character with sufficient Strength.

Converting the game to the ToEE engine means using the ToEE mechanics and ruleset, so if bashing locks is not natural there, I don't think it needs to be converted.

Aspel's mini-quest can basically be considered a tutorial for players, introducing them to the concept of locks and how to open them.
    It might be weird if you implement a special bashing mechanism just for this lock but not for all the others in the game.

The main benefit of doing the EE is that any experience gained and conversion tools written can be transferred to the other EE games later on. Whereas the non-EE versions of the games are less compatible with each other.

14. Allyx

It would certainly be easier to ignore bashing locks, and just use the existing Pick Lock mechanics, most people will take someone in the party who can pick locks anyway.

If a workable alternative can be implemented to include bashing (attacking) a door until it breaks (dies), then great, if not, we may have no alternative but to drop that feature.

15. Shiningted

Ineth's right, we should drop it imho.

Thanks for the txt Ineth, got it : RedundantThumbsUpEmoji :

EDIT: Ok, much of the quest info is not going to make it in because we don't have a proper journal system, just a 'quests done' setup. Is this a problem? A proper journal system is possible with Temple+ I guess, but will have to be updated constantly (the dlg files allow for that). The ToEE quest system will cover the essential element of recording quest info and marking off what is done versus what needs to be done. I think it's enough but that's just me.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
Our Host!