Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Are the sconces not on the cave walls already Ted? If overlaying a 3d sconces and flame animations is better than using what is there already, go for it :D

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Looking at the map, it seems the areas without visible torches could be illuminated by torches on the walls we can't see.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Orc_Caves.jpg The lights and improvised torch models are done. There was one torch sconce, bizarrely enough - no idea why they bothered making one.

Much more satisfying than global lighting :)

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Ted, is the above map using the TOEE engine?

5. Allyx

It sure is @sirchet, Ted's kindly been sectoring all the maps in Easthaven for use in ToEE for us. The dialogues for the town's people, and the few quests that can be undertaken, and (most importantly) monsters within are already supported by ToEE with hopefully minimal editing, so a demo should be ready for release soon after the map sectoring files are ready.

Offers of assistance are welcome :D

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The characters are too dimly lit IMO, especially the one in the center of the room - you can barely see details on them. All the light sources are placed on the other side of the camera, relative to where the characters are, which leaves the camera-facing side unlit.

I think it'd be best to emulate how it looks in the original. Here's a reference shot: (taken from here)

[​IMG]

7. Allyx

If the light sources are the wrong side of the characters, so the player can only see the darkened side of the characters, so be it.

Surely it would only add to the realism as the light sources are acting how they should in real life. If it's possible to turn the ambient light for the entire area up a couple of notches though that would be better.

@Shiningted, are you able to make the town maps in world ed? I was working on it earlier, but couldn't get it working. :(

8. ineth

ineth Member

I think @Daryk is right: It is assumed that the walls facing away from the camera have torches as well, it's just that we can't see them.
    But realistically we should see their effect on how the characters being lit.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Something's lighting the IWD characters from the near side. Does Near Infinity show where light sources are specifically and their radius, etc.? In ToEE, those lights would actually exist on the non-viewable sides of walls, but they'd be blocked by clipping geometry. Meaning their lighting effects would still be perceived, even though the source (torch, etc.) wouldn't.

So to use Allyx's "it is what it is" hypothetical, the cave as perceived would only have torches on one side of the wall. ;)

10. Allyx

Meh, if it can be done, sure add the torches.

As far as I can tell, lighting effects are depicted on a light intensity image of the map itself. Darker portions are depicted by a darker shade of brown, lighter areas are a dirty beige colour, and all shades between the two.

11. ineth

ineth Member

The Infinity Engine doesn't do proper dynamic lighting, and doesn't know about light sources.
    It's all faked using a 2D light map for each area.

For this area (AR1201), the light map is:
    [​IMG]
    (It is stored as a AR1201LM.BMP in the game data. It is shown here at its full resolution - as you can see, it's not very fine-grained.)

It can be different colors, not just brown/beige. In this map, it's grey. I think it uses the actual color to tint the characters, but I'm not 100% sure.

PS: Yeah, it definitely looks that way. For example, consider AR5403 - note the yellow light from the torches, and the green light coming in from the hole in the floor and from the left exit. The lightmap for that area is:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  12. Shiningted

I certainly incorporated lights for the areas where there were light sources but no torches because they were hidden by the walls. Otherwise I did the lighting the same as KotB - I exaggerated it so you would notice. Better that, imho, than as per ToEE where I doubt anyone ever noticed the lighting because the global lighting overrode it in 90%+ of cases (a few areas of the lower Temple that were dimly lit made you notice you were approaching a torch, but they were few and far between. Again, imo). A far cry from BG where lighting was important, but then, BG had infravision. If people disagree I am happy to turn on global lighting on all the maps.
    Currently all global lighting is turned off except on the outdoor maps, for reasons just explained.
    Funny you should say that, I left that til last for obvious reasons but failed to achieve it. It failed for me last time I tried, and @Gaear had to do the last batch for KotB.

13. Shiningted

Ok, I've sectored the Easthaven maps but it's bigger than I can upload here <sigh> Once upon a time I was tech savvy enough to have a dozen workaround for this at my fingertips, but not today. Al, can you PM me an appropriate email address and I will send them over.

Also, the Easthaven day and night maps don't match up - you'll see when I send everything over, I've modified the random-encounter.py so you can pass time on the outdoor maps and watch the transition. The Caravan maps work fine.

14. Allyx

Thanks Ted, I've sent my email details to you, though I think it's already visible on my profile page.

Which of the Easthaven maps did you sector? The day or the night map - so I know which one needs altering?

Let me know when you are ready for the next batch of maps... I've yet to complete chapter 1 in the game I'm playing, but I think I'm close to it.

We're going to need a model/skin for a Yeti for chapter 1, any ideas for a base model to adapt it from?

15. Shiningted

Got it Al. I sectored the day map, then went to add lights to the night one and saw the problem. Boring night map Easthaven has, not a single light shining from a window or anything.

Email away!

(Not sure about a yeti model without seeing it. Bugbears make good humanoid monster models though, sans shoulder pads.)

Our Host!