Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Just been making a few new cursor icons, feel free to take a peek and give feedback.

Edit: The only cursor I didn't change yet was the Use Skill cursor, because I couldn't decide which skill icon to use.

2nd Edit: Changed a couple of icons:
    The Magnifying Glass,
    Potion,
    Potion Invalid,
    Wand,
    Wand Invalid,
    and added Use Skill and Use Skill Invalid icons.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

@ineth - thanks for the comprehensive answer.
    Thanks Al, but I will have to digest all this first ;) On the up side:

- I've now done every interior map except Aspel and the Temple, and most of the Easthaven main map. I think there was an Orc Cave or something? Haven't done that one yet. But almost finished.

- I got SOME clipping going, at least - I clipped Old Jed's bed with a bed model from Hommlet. See pic below. By 'clipping' (for anyone unfamiliar), I mean the way the circle (and model where necessary) is 'clipped' from showing by the 'model' of the bed, giving an immersive 3d effect. Note that this is a classic example because no-one would even notice it, so we can forego 99%, I'm just thinking in a couple of extreme scenarios such as heading behind houses etc where SVBing doesn't quite cut it, and some doorframes since doors opening across frames really breaks the moment. (Can be sidestepped depending on which direction the door opens, but other times is unavoidable, particularly doors in horizontal corridors).

- Otherwise, the greyed-out effect of the other guy in the corner is what we call SVBing (sector visibility blocking, has the added benefit or intent of stopping characters seeing through walls and such). He's greyed-out because he is behind the pillar and ceiling beams that frame the room. That's been done for all the finished maps and will suffice in 99% of cases as mentioned.

- Note also the fire in the fireplace - fully animated obviously - and the candle on the bedside table is also animated, albeit its another thing that no-one will even notice.

- Not shown: Stuart the Balor, Old Jed's 'roommate'.

Anyway as mentioned I will go through those uploads and figure out what help I need next :)

Old_jed.jpg

3. Allyx

That map looks great Ted.

In most cases in IWD the doors open inwards, and aren't displayed at all in the interior maps, so there should be minimal clipping needed if any at all.

I'm going to see if I can alter the door and stair icons next, just need to find them in the .dat files and replace them with IWD versions. :D

Edit: Attached Portal Icons - The Ladder Down Icon is to serve both up and down ladders in ToEE wheras the Ladder Up icon is for "Map Doors" IE from Easthaven to the Caravan Map towards the Orc Cave.

Edit 2: The stair and door icons require another edit as unforeseen clipping on the area transition icons clipped the corners off :(

Edit 3: uploaded edited Door and Stair icons.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  4. Shiningted

Can't seem to download those: I get,

"Circle of Eight Modding Community - Error
    The requested attachment could not be found. "

That's different. :oops:

5. Shiningted

Got it :) Albeit Windows 8 still can't open a tga file. I'll look at it on my modding PC ;)

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The attachments work for me ...

7. Allyx

Just noticed that the Sword _Invalid icon was missing from my previous upload, so I uploaded them all again including this one.

Attached Files:

8. Shiningted

Yeah they're working now for me too.

9. Allyx

Grrrrr, my desktop is so damned annoying, I just got my bonus from work, went to Maplin and bought a new motherboard bundle and power supply, gutted my desktop, and fitted the new parts, put in my graphics cards, attached the hard drives and DVD -RW and gave it a go. Less than half an hour later, the power issues that sounded the death knell on my old setup resume:

1. Shutting down for no apparent reason.
    2. Turning itself on without reason.

The first symptom could be due to a thermal problem from what I've read, but there is no reason a PC should be powering up by itself on no less than 2 completely different motherboard/cpu/memory stick/power supply setups except for perhaps a faulty power switch? Or broken power switch wire?

I've ordered a new case to see if that helps.

10. Shiningted

Yeah, sounds like a switch issue. I had 3 40" TVs worth hundreds $$$ screw up from a dodgy switch.

Re IWD: almost finished sectoring, can someone please point out on one of tha maps

- where you arrive in the Orc Cave

- where you arrive on the Caravan map?

Yes, actually playing IWD and seeing these things for myself is up high on the priority list :p

11. Allyx

On the caravan map the entrance location is along the bottom, near the left hand side corner, the Orc Cave entrance is at the bottom, right hand corner.

I disconnected the case power button wire from my motherboard, and used the reset button wire there instead, gotta reinstall Windows again, as the motherboard ID is used for validation purposes, and reinstall graphics drivers and everything again, oh well at least it's working again. :)

12. ineth

ineth Member

NearInfinity can show entrances/exits:

AR1200:
    [​IMG]

AR1201:
    [​IMG]

The little door icons show where your party spawns when entering the map.

The red areas are trigger regions. These are used for various purposes:
    • travel regions (door ways or map edges that you can click to travel to another map)
    • info points (objects that you can click to see a floating description of them pop up)
    • traps (trigger when stepped on)
    • script triggers (also trigger when stepped on, except that as a player you won't notice anything - it just modifies a quest variable or something like that)
    In this case, it should be clear which ones are the travel regions (they're right next to the entrance spawn points).
    The groups of caravan crates are info points, and the ground rectangles in the corridors are script triggers.

13. Allyx

@ineth, do you know what those script triggers trigger exactly?

If it's just instructing hostiles to "go here, attack PC's nearby" we can just ignore those... Containers, ground traps, map transition icons, and openable doors are mainly what we need at this point.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  14. ineth

ineth Member

@Allyx
    In the NearInfinity area viewer, make sure the "Regions" checkbox is selected, and then you can click a trigger region to show its details.

In the details window, if the "type" row says "Proximity trigger", then it's a trap or script trigger.
    You can select the "Script" row, and then click the "View/Edit" button below the list to open the script.

In the caravan area (AR1200), the script trigger uses the script called "CARATRG1.BCS", which has the following content:
    Code:
    IF
       GlobalLT("Caravan_Quest","GLOBAL",2)
       Entered([PC])
    THEN
       RESPONSE #100
         SetGlobal("Caravan_Quest","GLOBAL",2)
    END
    All this does, is increment the quest variable "Caravan_Quest" to 2, when one of the player characters first steps on that region.
    The script triggers inside the cave work the same way, except that they increment this variable to 3.

This quest variables is checked when you talk to Hrothgar (the NPC who gives you the quest to find out what happened to the caravan), and possibly some other NPCs too.
    It's basically the game's way of tracking whether you've found the broken-down caravan (Caravan_Quest = 2), and whether you've tracked down the missing crates inside the cave (Caravan_Quest = 3), so you'll get corresponding dialog options when reporting back to Hrothgar.

UPDATE:
    Using "Search > Text Search > DLG" in NearInfinity, one can find all uses of a quest variable in NPC dialog trees. For "Caravan_Quest", the results are:
    [​IMG]
    DGASPAR.DLG is Gaspar's dialog tree,
    HROTH.DLG is Hrothgar's dialog tree,

DPLANAR.DLG is the dialog tree that opens up when you cast the spell "Contact Other Plane", which is basically a way to get hints about quests and stuff ;) This is the mini-conversation you get when you cast that spell and ask it about the caravan after Hrothgar gave you the quest but before you found it (Caravan_Quest = 1):

SPIRITS: You have questions for the spirits, yes? Hasten your mouths with queries, for we thirst to return to our own.
    YOU: Tell me about the missing caravan.
    SPIRITS: The caravan is gone. Man-beasts plucked the wealth like a plum from a tree and carried it to a cave. They guard it with bow and axe. That is all the spirits know.​

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  15. Allyx

Thanks @ineth, I'll look into all that in greater detail once Ted's done sectoring the Prologue maps, I'll package up the next area maps: The pass itself, and the next town along.

Then I can start making protos entries for the Easthaven citizens, Bugs, Goblins, Wolves, and Orcs, and that Squirrel of course. And converting the dialogues files for all of the above where applicable.

Our Host!