Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

modules\ToEE\rules\maplist.mes

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

3. Allyx

I've figured out how to convert Infinity Engine .wbm movies into ToEE friendly .bik format!

1) I extracted the *.WBM files with Near Infinity
    2) I added an E to the file extension to make them *.WEBM
    3) I then used Prism to convert the files to *.WMV format
    4) Finally I used Rad Video Tools to convert to *.BIK files!

Bink player plays them just fine, though I've not yet tested it in game yet, gonna try that next.

EDIT: Yay, the Icewind Dale opening cinematic works just fine in ToEE :D

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  4. Allyx

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little bit here, but...

Attached Files:

The Overlord likes this.
  5. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

It's beautiful.

6. Allyx

And currently causing crashes... :( @Gaear, any chance you could knock up a working set of splash .tga's with that design? Or imparting any knowledge you may have as to why it would be causing CTD's on loading?

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Are they 32 bit non-compressed?

8. Allyx

Umm, no clue currently, how should I check using Gimp?

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I can just make you one if you want. Is the image you posted the exact one you want? (You could call it something other than "A Circle of Eight Modpack," for example. Like total conversion or whatever.)

10. Allyx

@Gaear Yeah if you could mate, that would be awesome, could you put "A Circle of Eight Total Conversion Modpack" at the bottom please?

@ineth, Do you know where the the scrolling text and audio in between chapters is located?

I'm not sure if we can recreate those narrated scenes with scrolling text on the background images in ToEE currently, we could instead use static 'endslides', like were added to ToEE explaining the surroundings of new areas when you first arrive there, like at the Moathouse for example, and add the audio to them that way.

EDIT: I got the splash screen I made, working, it seems Gimp adds RLE Compression by default, unchecking that option when exporting the changes back to the .tga files allows the files to work in game.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  11. Allyx

Right, so the splash screen is no longer causing crashes, but my game is still crashing... I think it has something to do with changing the map folder names, and references to those folders etc... only I'm not certain where the error has occurred. So I'm going to copy another Co8 modpack 8.1.0 module activate that and reapply the changes systematically until I find the error.

@Gaear, could you also have a go at splitting the IWD Worldmap for me? I believe the dimensions are correct, but wouldn't hurt to check.

Attached Files:

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sectoring underway btw. The maps file I thought you meant was the main maps thing not the art one but either way is good.

Looking good lads :)

EDIT: Al, do I have free reign ftm with jumppoint.tab to start putting in doors to get the maps together, or did you have something else in mind?

13. Allyx

I think it's increasingly likely I'm going to have to restore the operating system on this laptop again, it's becoming excessively laggy, and attempts to install 200-ish windows updates fail and have to be reverted... I miss my old desktop. :(

As such, I'm currently uploading the files I've changed for ToEE, and files I've extracted (from Icewind Dale) to my onedrive for safe keeping, I'll post a link for anyone who's interested in helping once it's uploaded, the file itself is approx 1.5 gigs though, so uploading it is going to take a few hours.

14. Allyx

@Shiningted Certainly mate, my laptop is pretty crippled right now, I might have to reinstall everything from scratch again which could set me back about a week reinstalling updates ^^ see my last post.

Add the doors etc... the starting map if you want to set that in the .dll is the main floor of the tavern in the screenshot before, Characters spawn around the table closest to the left hand side of the bar.

15. ineth

ineth Member

I had to search for this myself. I'm still not sure how the game knows when a chapter starts, but here's what I've found so far:

[IWD:EE] Chapter intro sequences

There's a 2DA file (basically a plain-text table) for each chapter that, listing the StrRef's of the chapter name and the scrolling text.
    The text (and associated voice-over) for each StrRef can be looked up using the "Search > StrRef" menu in NearInfinity.
    The voice-overs themselves are stores as WAV files.

Putting it all together, yields the following info:

CHPTXT0.2DA
    chapter name = Prologue
    scrolling text = Our tale begins here, in the quiet fishing village of Easthaven. One of the so-called "Ten Towns" of Icewind Dale, the tiny community is hardly a town, but rather a collection of ramshackle huts crowded together upon the icy shores of Lac Dinneshere. Here within a dimly lit tavern, a group of travelers sit huddled around a table, swapping tales and making grand plans for the future, completely unaware of the part they are to play in the events that are about to unfold.
    scrolling text voice-over = NARR_PL.WAV

CHPTXT1.2DA
    chapter name = Chapter One
    scrolling text = Fighting their way through the goblin-infested valley of the pass, the survivors of the doomed Easthaven expedition at last came upon the small hamlet of Kuldahar. Nestled within the roots of a massive oak tree, the tiny cottages were a welcome sight for the weary travelers. As the party approached the town, a warm breeze blew over them, chasing away the chill of the frozen pass and carrying with it the sweet scent of cooking fires.
    scrolling text voice-over = NARR_CH1.WAV

CHPTXT2.2DA
    chapter name = Chapter Two
    scrolling text = After a day's journey through the mountains surrounding Kuldahar, the small band of would-be heroes finally stood before the towering crag of rock that marked the entrance to Dragon's Eye. Somewhere within the depths of the volcanic cavern lay the missing Heartstone Gem, and perhaps with it, the answer to who or what was behind the disturbances in Kuldahar.
    scrolling text voice-over = NARR_CH2.WAV

CHPTXT3.2DA
    chapter name = Chapter Three
    scrolling text = Following the map left for them by the slain archdruid, the party arrived at the towering ruins of the Severed Hand. Guided by the archdruid's cryptic last words, the adventurers prepared to enter the crumbling tower and seek out this mysterious "Larrel" in the hopes that he might have the power to use the Heartstone Gem. For without the vision of the Gem, the evil in the pass might never be revealed, and the town of Kuldahar would be doomed to a frozen fate.
    scrolling text voice-over = NARR_CH3.WAV

CHPTXT4.2DA
    chapter name = Chapter Four
    scrolling text = The Heartstone's divination had at last revealed the source of the evil in the mountains. Ahead loomed the solitary peak that housed the dwarven stronghold known as Dorn's Deep. With Larrel's warnings of dwarven treachery still ringing in their ears, the heroes readied their weapons and started towards the cave entrance and whatever challenges lay beyond.
    scrolling text voice-over = NARR_CH4.WAV

CHPTXT5.2DA
    chapter name = Chapter Five
    scrolling text = Fighting their way through the orogs in the upper chambers, the party descended deeper into the bowels of the dwarven stronghold. Gradually, the hewn passageway transitioned from stone to ice as if the dwarves had run out of room within the mountain and had expanded their tunnels into the adjoining glacier. Icy blasts of wind whipped through the passage as it wound its way through the glacier and out onto the frozen surface above.
    scrolling text voice-over = NARR_CH5.WAV

CHPTXT6.2DA
    chapter name = Chapter Six
    scrolling text = Leaving the horrors of the frost giant caves behind them, the party made their way into the deepest tunnels of the dwarven complex. In the distance, a bright red glow emanated from the mouth of a large corridor, indicating that they were not alone in the darkness of Lower Dorn's Deep.
    scrolling text voice-over = NARR_CH6.WAV

I haven't found the corresponding background images yet. I assume they're stored as BAM files , but there are hundreds of those and there's no easy way to search them.

Our Host!