I Never Knew I Could Do X Until Just Now...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UniversalWolf, Jul 28, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Torrato

Torrato Savage Merc

I had a party of rogues try to rob the jeweler in hommlet. He caught us and a fight insued. I had to kill him and his men, though I didn't want to, but I didn't get the butcher of hommlet reputation. I got a magic longsword and magic dagger off of him. Something to remember for less scrupulous parties.

2. Saracenus

Saracenus Member

Buried in another thread was the means of getting your separated familiar back into your pack. You have to talk to it.

I also found out that if you kill or a monster kills your familiar and you summon a new one, it stays separated and will not go back into your backpack no mater how many times you talk to it. I had to go to an early save point before it died and call it back into inventory.

I am curious why familiars act on their own (in the case of my frog, that means hopping into the nearest danger zone) and are not directable like other NPCs.

My two coppers,

Saracenus

3. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

As I never take my familiar out of my pack, I do not know for sure. I thought familiars were like a player character and you had full control over them, while npc's and a druid/ranger's companion had their own AI. One reason I do not like to use them as they throw off my tactics or get in the way of heavy artillery spells.

4. kungfuramone

kungfuramone Member

Two fairly recent (re-)discoveries that I should have known about from playing D+D forever...

1. The 5-foot step. No attack of opportunity and your archer or mage or potion-drinker can do whatever they want to. The baddie archers certainly know about this one (although based on how often they miss from 5 feet away, it seems likely that they haven't taken the point-blank shot feat. ;) )
    2. Casting defensively. More to the point, the fact that your spell can fizzle if your spellcraft is low and you try to cast defensively (see: bards.)

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Yeah the 5 foot step is a great combat saver. It is also VERY useful when you have a character with cleave or great cleave and mulltible attacks. Use the Full attack option and as your character clears away the foes about him, he can STILL take the 5 foot step in the middle of his attacks to get at the enemies hiding out of reach. :)

If you wish, you can also take combat casting to get a +4 to the rolls when you do defensive casting. Bears Endurance and other con boosters can also be useful.

6. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

I never knew that you can get the +1 holy sword without marrying Fruella first.

It also took some time to figure out that all casters can do "spontanious" casting. If you have a hotkey say "Q" for read magick, you can punch that key until your caster is out with every same or higher level spells. Works at least with bards, wizards, clerics and druids.

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

It's marrying Meleny, actually. You can just walk out the door with the sword after getting it from Dad. Or talk to Meleny and: have her stay there, or join the party and have her leave later. She's easy. ;)

8. Rocktoy

Aww. But true love is never. :evilgrin:

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Yes, Meleny is the opposite of Fruella. She will stay home and keep your sword polished for you at any time. Fruella will just yap and nag-ALL day long.

10. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well I started a new game, with a solo character. While fighting the frogs at the moathouse one of them swallows me up. The other two in the battle just hopped away and stood around until I slashed my way out of the gut of the swallower. Only then they decided to come back and play.

11. Rocktoy

What I meant was I can get Terjon accept the conversion without marrying Fruella if I don't heal Bink before I am asked for help. :)

12. Saracenus

Saracenus Member

If you want to get into instant combat with the entire Church of St. Cuthbert just forget to take off your Earth Temple Robes when returning from the Temple of Elemental Evil. Terjon shows up and starts buffing up and then comes after you. Weeeeeeeeeeee.

~Saracenus
    AKA Bryan Blumklotz

13. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

"Honestly Terjon, I am really a priest of nature. This just LOOKS like the bad guys clothes" :)

14. Saracenus

Saracenus Member

So I got greedy. I wanted two secret chests and my wizard was finally 9th level. So I cast secret chest and well it did not turn out pretty...

1) When you create the second chest, you lose the ability to summon your old one. Yep everything inside it is just gone.

2) If one PC or NPC has both chests and summons the new one, the game starts to stutter and act all funky until you unsummon the chest.

My advice, don't do it.

~Saracenus

15. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Yeah that is a bitch. Just so you know, individual characters can have their own chests. So as long as a character has one, you can have as many as you have characters. Hope you had a save that was not too old so you can go back and get your goodies back.

Our Host!