Hurricane Irene.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maalri, Aug 29, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. maalri

maalri Immortal

Roll call: Who is still here? Who was out of power and/or internet for a while? How bad was the damage near you?

I'll start.

Still here, lost power and 'net for about 20 hours. Lots of trees and branches, and therefore quite a few powerlines, down near me, but none on my actual property. All and all, relatively unscathed, didn't even lose the food in the Fridge.

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well I was not affected by Irene, but all my sympathy and support for those that were or still being under here tantrum. Hope everyone is ok and can dry out and be safe.

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

If you don't think you can deal with Irene, or far worse, a couple of times a year. Avoid living on the Gulf Coast.

Since DC was one of the places hit, you probably won't get Katrina'd.

After Ike, I was without power for 12 days in 90 - 100 degree heat. Emergency supplies started arriving in 3 days. Some of the stores opened back up after a few days, so we weren't starving, and we never lost water and gas pressure. Galveston Island was evacuated for almost two weeks. Things never did get completely back to normal. But after 3 years, most of the heavily damaged buildings and failed businesses had been repaired or replaced. Once electric power is restored, things can be put back in functioning order.

The cool thing is that when there's no power, you get to know your neighbors better. ;)

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

We just got a bit of heavy rain storms being she stayed a good 250 miles off shore as she passed us by.

I'm glad to hear things are OK in N.C.

Good to see you're still with us Maalri. ;)

5. maalri

maalri Immortal

As am I, sirchet, as am I.

Now we have to worry about Katia coming...

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Our Host!