"Humble NPCs" patch

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Drifter, May 29, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Fernando

Fernando Established Member

Hey, nice forum you have here... I have a question about this patch, is it useful for saved games, also? I mean, I'm already in the Temple... do I have to start all over again to be able to use it?

Oh, and another thing... I only need this patch to be installed to get the "Humble NPCs"? I only got Ataris' patch 1 & 2. Thanks!

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The Humble NPC's patcher is available from the download section (optional downloads I think) and yes the 4.0.0 mod requires a new game.

3. Fernando

Thx, yesterday I downloaded the "Toffee", the 4.0.0. mod and the Humble's... really NICE work you have done there, honestly...

The Humble's worked perfectly with my saved game using the orginal game, but I couldn't get it to work on a new game using the Front End and the 4.0.0 mod... and I also couldn't use the 8 PC's patch: I tried patching the temple.dll and using the Front End to set the option, made 6 PC's but I only could start with 5... in the Welcome Inn I went to the "book" in the counter, added my 6th PC but couldn't get her to join my group... she was just standing in the middle of the inn, and if I talked to her I only got a one-line/no response comeback... just like a "yea?" or a "what's up?", and there she was, standing like a NPC without a script... Do you know what could I have done wrong?

Oh, and the other thing: I also couldn't seem to use the Allyx's Shopping Map Mod V2, I've started a new game (using the Front End, and in the 4.0.0. mod) but I went straight to the opening vignette and started with 2 of my 5 PC's without weapons... not that it's a bad thing :p, but I wanted to check on the store ^^...

Well, thanks again not only for the patch but also for the great help you guys wrote along the forum. The three things that I pointed out are surely something that I did bad on the patching/installing, overall your work was EXCELLENT (yeah, you deserve the caps ;) )... Oh, and sorry by the lousy english, I'm used to spanish :p

4. Allyx

Just to make sure... You are trying to launch ToEE from the frontend aren't you? (there is a button in the frontend window) I ask because the shopmap came with it's own modified temple.dll which alters your starting map to the shopmap (if you installed that optional mod).

If you installed Co8-4.0.0, but are still using the original shortcut (or .exe file) to run the game, the wrong version of the temple.dll will be loaded - causing problems like you are describing.

You MUST launch ToEE from the frontend to get the full benefit of the mod's bug fixes. The Humble NPC's option and PC count patcher option in the frontend also affects the same temple.dll file.

5. rhorgrun

rhorgrun Member

Hi Allyx,
    I just download the new mod and enabled your shop map to begin the game so I could buy equipment first. I must have done something wrong, because I got to the carvan map, but all my characters had equipment and clothes and weapons on them, and none of the caravan merchants would talk with me. Furthermore, I could not exit this map to get anywhere else in the game. What did I do wrong and how do I fix this problem so that I can start a new game and buy starting gear?

6. Allyx

I know the solution to this problem was posted a while back, and I think it involves a complete re-install but at the moment I can't find the post with the solution in it.

7. rhorgrun

rhorgrun Member

Thanks Allyx. I think that I saw something about this under Merchant Caravan or Merchant Shops somewhere. I did remove the mod and redown-loaded (is that even a word?) it last night. I have yet to see if it will run right, but I hope that I will not have to uninstall everything in order to fix the problem. I'll let you know. If you have any other ideas, let me know.

8. Fernando

Yes, even I make sure that the Humble options is checked and everything... dunno... it's no big deal, anyhow, thanks for your concern.

Oh, one thing: I have read in some thread about some kind of problem of not being able to open doors, like some times the game doesn't let you "touch" the door icon to get in/out from a map. Well, I experimented something like that: in the Temple's 1st level I killed a bunch of bugbears and then I couldn't get out of the map. I tried a lot of things, and finally I tried to rest, to see if that could be of any help... well, it was :p... I couldn't rest, it was interrumpted by two Gnolls. I took care of them and then, voila, I could manage to open the doors normally, again. So, I started trying to see what was that about, and it happened again a little later on. I'm pretty sure that both of times it was when I was trying to evade the "loot bug", I was using the "C" key (combat mode) to loot the corpses, and both of times my party started acting strange... the game kinda bugged or something, because my party members where constantly making movements like the ones that your characters do when you don't move them for a while...

In both of cases, the "try to rest" solution worked fine, and I could keep on playing normally. Sorry for the bad english, it's hard enough trying to write this up, don't even mention the fact that I'm trying to describe something :( ...

9. sirgregory1st

sirgregory1st Member

like this patch because my npc's would pick up things and not let them go that I needed for further parts of the game like that little prisoner guys back pack, his magic crossbow and the scroll, which I didn't realize until I used the patch and switched weapons with the npc then the prisoner stepped up and said he needed them back.
    Also, it comes in handy because the npc's were collecting so much stuff they became very encumbered, and then my other pc's started carring stuff for the NPC's (ie.. a npc would pick up something and put it in my pc's inventory and the pc couldn't drop it or use it just said "charater will not drop that item")..
    A very useful patch indeed (cheat or not) I like it and it seems to help more with game bugs (for me) than it hurts....
    Unless it has something to do with the fact I can't loot dead enemies now. once I installed it it stopped letting me get loot, (but I work arround it by "slight of hand" or by leaving and coming back a day later and their body is gone but there stuff is still laying there (annoying but not as bad as before the patch)

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Unstickied. This patch and other tools can always be found in the Downloads section of the ToEE Modding forum.

Our Host!