"Humble NPCs" patch

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Drifter, May 29, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Haven't used this mod with Liv's, but the Co8 fixes followed by Liv's mod will let you move most items out of an NPC's inventory (except their starting equipment), and will stop them from looting anything except their agreed on share of coins and gems. You can also buy their starting equipment if you want it.

I have seen bugs with telling them not to sell anything (another option in Liv's mod), but that's easy to get around; just empty their inventories before talking to the shopkeeper.

Hopefully someone who has tried both mods together will have more specific info.

2. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

I don't know, I've got Liv's mods and while I tried to control my NPC's, once you tell'em to not sell anything in their inventory they of course won't sell'em to you either...ever. So then I end up with better equipment for them and my NPC's will never drop'em or sell'em. I also sometimes try to let them "borrow" some magical items for a battle or two and then they decide to keep them...unfortunately, I've had to murder two of my NPC's (Zert and Zaxis) because they simply wouldn't cooperate. Meleny's starting to piss me off too...but at least she doesn't hog all the treasure. It's just her strength is horrible and if she picks up a sack of sling stones she's already encumbered.

3. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Yup. If I take NPCs at all, I just swap everything out of their inventory before speaking with merchants. Meleny always gets consoled up to STR 14, and then casts Bull's Strength on herself until the gold and XP are available to craft her a Girdle of Giant Strength.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The only conflict between Liv and Drifter, according to Liv, is that having full control of NPC inventory will cause certain of her scripts (not specified) to fail.

Sleepjay: NPC looting of items was fixed by Co8 a long time ago and is currently a part of the latest mod pack, version 3.0.4 . It sounds like you don't have this installed; if you did, Furnok wouldn't grab all those items.

Liv introduced two further options in her mod for NPC inventory control, asking them to sell you their starting equipment and asking them not to sell their current items to merchants. Note that the second option is repeatable. This means that you can give them a longsword after they sell you their starting stuff, making sure its the only item in their inventory, then tell them not to sell it. This will flag that item, but not any others you give them, unless you flag them as well using the same method. Also note that NPCs will never sell equipped items to merchants, no matter what, so that's a good way to "hide" items that you want them to have temporarily. The trick is to only instruct them not to sell items that you want them to have permanently.

Personally I like Drifter's fix, because it allows blissfullly complete management rights of all characters in your party. Using it does, however, contradict certain text strings in the game. NPCs will inform you what their share of the loot must be to join, then fail to collect it.

5. SleepyJay

SleepyJay Member

I didn't have it installed before I got here; it was that very event, where I had to slaughter Furnok, that got me searching out such a fix.

I just installed Co8 3.0.4, temple.zip, and humble_npcs. I had already installed patch 3 before I read everyone telling me not to. Oh well. I hope it doesn't hurt me in the long run...

What happens if I install Liv's over these? Do I just lose humble_npcs (which I could install over again), or what?

thanks
    jason.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I would strongly, strongly suggest that you wipe your hard drive clean of what you've got and re-install according to the directions in Morpheus' thread . This will mean starting over, but believe me, you're missing a lot without this stuff. It will be worth it.

After you've installed as specified, you can load in Drifter's fix if you want complete control of NPCs. It's not "officially" recommended as yet, so it's not among the links in Morpheus' thread.

Good luck.

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I have finally "fixed" the npc and looting problems and have 2 new npc recruits, Lodriss and Mathilde. By editing the protos and .dlg files along with Drifters mod, I now have control and I like it. It may be considered "cheating" by some, but I like it and I'm having fun. I'm sorry, but I don't like not being able to do what I want or need because it's not available or "not in the game". Use the mods and fixes in the threads and have a good time.

8. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Yeah...

Man, this is just a mess, isen't it? Humble NPCs are cool, I say.

Their looting practices are what drove me to forswear them altogether. Not worth my freaking time to have these schmucks that I've already paid, who are collecting gold and not using it for anything constructive, to sit there freeloading themselves down with crap they're not going to use, and you can only compel them to get rid of by prying it from their cold dead hands.

Oh, and when I want something an NPC has, I just kill him for it. But I don't incur an alignment hit, oh no. Apparently Mr. NPC decided to have a heroic last stand, and charge into the fray until he's dead. Then we nuke the place clean with Fireballs and swipe his gear. Guilt-free, all those extra goodies (slightly crispy,) and none of the icky alignment hits.

So yeah. When cheaters want what NPCs have, they'll find a way to get it. Otherwise, just let us PLEASE manage their inventories and keep them sane. Trying to haul around an NPC who's hauling around an inventory full of junk is not fun. Especially if he's freeloading.

Plus, he gets to loot magical items. That my PCs probably want more. wtf? He's a mercenary. He gets a cut of the gold and gems. Any magical items we DEIGN to bestow upon his person are strictly on a loaner basis. If he dosen't like it, then he either needs to renegotiate, or get bent. (That's just the way I feel about it.)

9. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Member

I have not installed it yet and not sure if I will at this time but I think it is a GREAT idea . . .. good work Drifter. :clap:

I do not agree with just simply looting all the NPC items but that is the player's choice . . .

All I want is to prevent the NPCs from looting and selling things to merchants that don't make sense (e.g. selling clothes to the jeweler). As lame as it may sound, there should be something that makes the PC pay the NPCs after treasure is collected just not having the NPC take things at random would be great.

I would like the NPC to agree to a share by discussing that issue with the PCs before joining; even the evil ones like Scorpp and Darley. They both kick butt until they start taking magic items that they won't use . . . GRRR *punching into my hand*

:D

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I've been playing Liv's mod with Drifters and I haven't noticed anything unusual. I know Drifters mod isn't offical or accepted but it sure is handy. If I've missed anything in Liv's mod, I don't know what it is. I've been to end game twice with no problems.

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sounds like all you need is the Co8 fix as it is, with that they only take money. (But you still have issues with their gear, they won't give it up once superseded and sell stuff you give them).

12. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

I love it. *tears*

I've played this game a dozen times grinding through with looting, I relish the freedom. Unmask the NPC stats and make their weapon switching work and I'd have a coronary.

camelot

13. kam

kam Member

Hate to necro, but I'd like to point out that without this patch, a certain 10th level moron fighter will remain encumbered FOREVER, because he like an idiot is carrying around 2 sets of armor and hella weapons. This is a good patch.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I thought I fixed that... he should dump his spare armour before joining.

15. Banelord

Banelord Member

I was equipping my NPC's and dismissing them, Otis...

..in particular. Crafting custom itemes for them, and letting them wait their turn in the Temple. Otis can be released from the party and will rejoin an unlimited number of times, as long as you've never enterred the Temple. Anyway, I accidentally unchecked the Humble NPC's option in the ToEE Front End, and Otis apparently promptly sold all his things to himself, and reequipped himself with junk. No big deal, I'll just make them all again, but, is there any way to stop this from happening? Otis doesn't have a dialog option to have him never sell his things.

Our Host!