How To Toee Audio

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Cloudsprinter, Mar 20, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cloudsprinter

Cloudsprinter Member

Hi,

After reading a guide by ShingingTed :clap: I have been able to change all the music in TOEE. I really thought the music that shipped was awful. Especially the final encounter 'theme' music. that was so very wrong;) So I replaced all the loops and themes with various other ones from various games such as Baldur's GateI,II - NWNI-II - IWDI-II and included some of my own.
    I also managed to do lots of ambient things such as; create weather changes ; animals ;new combat intros ;more varied PC/NPC speech options.

In the co8 extracted ambient folder I added hundreds of tiny sounds to make the maps more immersive...eg nulb tavern loop. My Nulb tavern now has several random 'chatter' loops' and it sounds much better! Also has a band that come on at 10 and play various tavern songs :eek:mg:

Anyway what I'm posting here is to find out a few things;

Firstly,

Is there a way to extract all NPC audio files? I have installed Co8 voice+portrait Pack so have access to numerous PC voice folders (20-67, i think) and an additional 20 or so Speech folders numbered 3010 etc. Some of the speech folders contain current NPC dialogue, but not all of the dialogue used in the game. for example.

Furnok's folder has 'hello sir' 'hello madam' 'yes' 'certainly' 'all done' etc but not his other lines that match his written dialogue in the game ie. let's gamble etc. Furnoks voice is terrible. I want to record his entire dialogue using decent voices and effects. So I'd need to extract all the speech he has in the game and match that to his python dialogue (?__) then point the game towrds my new folder>>? I don't really understand how the game reads his intial dialogue and this file in voice packs. hmm. I haven't opened the SSC file at all yet, only used the scheme to judge the correct responses for each character ie hello 1,2,3,4, too much equipment etc.

Also, is it possible to add more 'NPC/PC' remark flags? EG When a character reaches a new map 1st time or sees certain items eg the throne. If I could add more of these it would increase the party chatter and make it better. It shouldn't be that hard but I have never seen the actual files so maybe it is! I've read on these borads Elmo has one of these relating to seeing the PUB. Meleny, I think, has "home sweet home" when returning to Hommlet. All the others have several for the Nodes and a few others.

I'd like to make sure all the crap NPC's have got complete voices. Some are great but others are rushed:writersbl or done by the same person, badly:zzz: I have all the voice sets from most D+D RPG's and tons of music software to record my own with.

So if anyone could assist that would be great. even a few pointers would be helpful. All I need is a pointer to the folder where I can rewrite the dialogue and audio that the game reads. I think:nosebleed

thanks to all at Co8 as always//

Cs

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You can extract all the ToEE DAT files, found in the ToEE root directory, by using the utility found here. ToEE voice audio is located in TOEE3.DAT (data\sound\speech\xxxxx). The utility is kind of peculiar in that you have to drag and drop a DAT file onto the utility icon in order for it to work, iirc. Once you do this, all the ToEE voice audio will be available to you.

This is actually quite simple: the numbered voice files correspond to the matching numbered lines of dialogue found in the character dialogue files, which are located in TOEE3.DAT as well (data\dlg). So you could overwrite the existing voice files with your new material and just use the existing numbering scheme (as well as adapting the dialogue files to the new stuff), or arrange your own new sequences, with the appropriate pointers added to the corresponding dlg files.

This is something that Shiningted has labored to understand to no end, and I believe the current situation is such that this can't be modded reliably. It may be that the engine's routine for handling this was not really finished, because there seems to be no real identifyable pattern to when these lines fire, or at least not something that's reproducable to the point of being workable.

Good luck. :)

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The remark flags are interesting: I don't know exactly how they work, so I have never written a tutorial about that bit, but suffice it to say there is reference in the mobs and locations to 'flagged scenery' and monsters flagged 'boss monster' which might be meant to trigger certain comments. However they are very unreliable / inconsistent: take the temple doors, for instance. Having any one of a number of NPCs approach those doors (folks like Spugnoir, Burne, Turoko) is meant to trigger a comment - "those doors are warded!" etc. But it only goes off occasionally, so what can you do? :shrug: And if there is an NPC present who doesn't have a comment at that point, they might 'trump' the other NPCs and their 'non-comment' gets played (ie nothing happens) instead of the comment of the NPC who does have something to say. If you take my meaning.

One thing is to script the lines to fire manually, like I did with the death lines. Have a look at the file of any recruitable NPC (Elmo maybe, data/scr/py00091elmo.py, or Otis, data/scr/py00097otis.py). The san_dying part fires whenever the NPC dies (if its set that way in protos.tab) and that little one-line script will fire the NPCs death line (or any other line you want to put it in its place). Change-of-map scripts can also be done (have been for Meleny, Elmo and Spugnoir among others) through san_new_map - thats the pub one for Elmo, though Meleny's "home sweet home" comment is actually her 'arriving at Hommlet' line.

By all means add more, but test them - simultaneous comments look and sound messy, while too many can quickly become annoying.

4. Cloudsprinter

Cloudsprinter Member

Thanks for the accurate response guys. I'll d/l, extract see how much i can break it all:D Pretty much what i thought regards' scenery tagging':( However, I have been thinking of a few ideas to make it work using ambience files but we shall see how that works out:scratchhe gonna have to put the throne/minotaur et al in deklo grove to test what happens.

my personal favourite useless line, think it's Serena.

"We're going to have alot of trouble getting into that temple"

then my party promptly walks througth the unlocked side entrance:pelvicthr

I thought it was funny/

Cs

Our Host!