How to go about getting a company to make a real game?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Aug 26, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Bob Corncob

Bob Corncob Maverick Moon Miner

There were 2 Ravenloft games, Stone Prophet and Strahd's Possession.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

If you want to run these old games with dosbox, do you need the disks?

3. Zagig

Zagig Member

You do not need the disks. The game I tried a few years ago was downloaded and came with the manual and codewheel. I don't remember where I got it, but a google check shows that you can get the dos version from thehouseofgames.net among others.

4. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

Technically, Eye of the Beholder, Dark Sun, Spelljammer and Ravenloft series were not gold box games. These games used a different game engine. They also did not come in gold boxes. All are excellent games.

You do not need the game disks, but you do need copies of the code wheels or a list of the passwords that are needed to further the story in the games and act as simple copy protection.

5. ben34

ben34 Member

First off I am really starting to be convinced that all these great program designing names like Troika, and even Atari themselves may not be talking about any forward progress with AD&D for one very obviouse reason the name "Evil" after its realese may have weighed a bit heavy on there marketing strategy to targeting the younger gen and the parents who spend the majority of the money on the game itself! I really think that that was there mistake for not designing a game the way they did with TOEE and just simply called something else like mabey Greyhawk AD&D Lore incorperated even to sub-modual adventuring with the choice to add the adventure TOEE but not title itself sort of like the NWN mod builder but with actuall AD&D adventures! I still can't belive they make all these books like 4.0 and re-publish the crap out over and over again but they can't incorperate it into PC games like TOEE!? make no sence to have all that resource at there fingertips and not even blow it up with TOEE based style games god I love the graphics of the templates they have out already with TOEE imagine what they could do with 4.0!? I want to start seeing dragonlance settings already with with 5 headed dragon goddessess!! mabey even the ability to incoperate a flying stage for winged monsters somehow not sure what would look best but I know they can make god of war style games look pretty bad ass why not use some of that on making a diversity of effects for AD&D I mean come on if they can make a game like nightmare creatures break through the walls of a good doom song in good timeing they must be off for TOEE!?

6. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

There was a spelljammer game? I loved those books even if there were only seven of them.

Funny story, my family was in Sweden visiting relatives when I was about 12. I was bored and my mom found the first spelljammer book, in English, in a small swedish bookstore. I devoured the book probably because the first one takes place in the DragonLance World which I love.

When we got back to the states, no book stores had the rest of the series. We had to call the publisher and have them sent to our house. I really wish that series would have taken off.

7. realmzmaster

ben34 said

TOEE was named after the AD & D module of the same name. The name made the game instantly recognizable to most if not all D & D players. A great many D & D players also indulge in crpgs. The marketing was aimed at an established base. The fact that Evil was in the name really did not matter. The general unwashed public think D & D is evil anyway, having been brainwashed by certain factions and events in years passed.

8. realmzmaster

Yes Rath,

A Spelljammer game called Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace was produced by SSI in 1992. It used the gold box combat engine, but the rest of the game was built using a different engine.

9. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Was it good?

10. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

Good to point out that the graphics focus vrs. gameplay focus. My ALL TIME favourite game is original Doom. Yes, it has graphics that are dated by today's standards but it was fun, played well and was raw, in-your-face. Doom III was pretty but did not have the same spark.

I think most here must realise that TOEE is a unique game, and bugs aside Troika got it right when they made it. To get anything like this again is only a dream.

All we can do is enjoy what we have and work on mods to expand it. As for a AD+D universe based on the TOEE engine? Possible but the financing is not there and rarely is what is done ever "right". Often it is about what is "best".

11. blackfly

Although you have to admit someone dressing up in armour with a two-handed sword attacking a 18 wheeler thinking it was a dragon is going to put a bad light on anything, to say nothing of the detailed descriptions of demons, devils and summoning spells. Granted, anyone attacking a moving truck+trailer thinking it is a dragon deserves their fate but it is human nature to fear what you do not understand.

12. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Rawhead Rex did it. He killed a lot of vehicles! Great movie! Except he did not attack them with a 2 handed sword. He did it all with his hands.

13. blackfly

Necro: the story about the guy attacking a rig dressed up in armour is no BS. Apparently it was a mentally disturbed guy who loved D+D " a tad too much" and at some point could not separate reality from fantasy. The media (and uptight Christian groups, believe me I know) jumped on this as a sign the game was "The Devil" and that the game was evil and to be avoided at all costs (I grew up in a strict Roman Catholic household and attended private RC schools for 13 years, so I am fully aware of the religious angle).

In today's world we are far past that. Far past the worries of teenage pregnancy, smoking pot or playing AD+D. Now it is about my 13 year old being a hooker for crystal meth or someone playing online for so long they die (and there are documented cases of this). Times change but the worries do not.

14. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I was flabbergasted when someone mentioned D&D being an introduction to witchcraft. I heard the same thing 20 years later with Harry Potter.

It can't be too surprising. You have to believe in witchcraft in the first place to believe D&D is a problem. Me, I believe in the real thing: "You want light? See that switch over there..."

Some people are using fear of popular cultural icons as a means to manipulate the ignorant.

15. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

Wow Isn't that the the mantra of the christian right? I guess that could work for Scientology too.

heh, this whole conversation makes me want to see Dungeons and Mazes! :love:

Our Host!