How to get 300GP real quick in Hommlet

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Royal Canadian, Jan 17, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Rats, I was hoping to avoid that. I was extrememly lucky in the combat with the assassin. Due to terrain, he wasted his first attack maneuvering to get at my party leader.

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Dang it... I went back and re-fought the assassin, but the traders are still stuck in that "double cross" dialog afterward. Does more time need to pass, perhaps? I'm going to try that next.

EDIT: No, that doesn't work either. I can go back to an even earlier save, but I'm concerned that completing the three quests will lock me right back in this "double cross" loop.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  3. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

And if you just attack them. No talk, just fight method?

4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Will that complete the quest to investigate the assassin? I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: No, without the proper dialog, you can't complete the Retribution quest. If you just attack the traders, Burne won't give you the quest completion dialog.

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I just finished scouring through Gaear's handy list of flags and variables, and I'm going to see what's set to what. I may need help interpreting them, though...

EDIT: And here are the results. I think 433 should be 1, based on the dialog I had with Burne. The text descriptions are straight out of Gaear's list.

277 (1) Got Assassin Encounter
    292 (1) Assassin mentioned how he tracked you; (in vanilla ToEE scripting resets once you confront Rannos or Gremag about it, no longer the case; Also, I intended for THIS flag to enable you to attack the traders from within dialogue, but Allyx changed this so that the "Assassin Dead" flag is checked instead)
    428 (0) Confronted traders about assassination attempt
    429 (0) You are suspicious of the traders after confronting them with the assassination thing (changed by Allyx :-[ no longer the case; also in original script I forgot to add this to Rannos)
    433 (0) Said you'd deal with traders yourself
    440 (0) Assaulted traders BEFORE consulting Burne
    836 (1) Encounters Killed Temple Assassin

EDIT2: Sure enough, 433 is 0 before I kill the assassin and talk to Burne, so for some reason it's not updating. I wonder if it's because I did Burne's puzzles right after revealing the agent.

EDIT3: Darn it, flipping 433 to 1 doesn't fix the problem. The traders are still stuck in that "double cross" dialog.

EDIT4: OK, now I'm digging into DLG files. Burne's doesn't seem to have anything to do with flag 433, and neither Rannos nor Gremag do either. The flags all seem to be set correctly to get the "Did you send the assassin?" dialog line (line {10} for Rannos, line {8} for Gremag), but it's not kicking in before jumping to line {20} for both (the "you double crossed us" line). Maybe the "Did you send the assassin?" needs to be added under line {20}?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Also, a quick question: are the numerical values of the various quest states as I outline them below? My searches here only brought up the text values:

game.quests[#].state = qs_unknown (0?)
    game.quests[#].state = qs_mentioned (1?)
    game.quests[#].state = qs_botched (3?)
    game.quests[#].state = qs_accepted (2?)
    game.quests[#].state = qs_completed (4?)

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Anything I should know before mucking with DLG files? I'm thinking of copying the "Did you send the Assassin?" lines into the line {20} sections of both Rannos and Gremag.

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Well, I modded the DLG files for Rannos and Gremag, and it seems to work now. Here are the two modified line {20} sections:

Rannos:
    {20}{It is interesting that you return here after double crossing ME! [angry] You are no longer welcome here. Begone! [calmer now] And I suggest you watch your back.}{It is interesting that you return here after double crossing ME! [angry] You are no longer welcome here. Begone! [calmer now] And I suggest you watch your back.}{}{20}{}{}
    {21}{You were responsible for that assassin that came after me, weren't you?}{}{1}{game.global_flags[277] == 1 and game.global_flags[428] == 0 and game.quests[64].state != qs_completed and game.quests[64].state != qs_botched}{390}{}
    {22}{You and your partner are up to no good here, Rannos. Your threats do not scare me. Farewell.}{}{8}{}{0}{}
    {23}{You and Green Egg are bad guys. You not scare me.}{}{-7}{}{0}{}
    {24}{I do as I please, Rannos, and you no longer matter to me. I just wanted to come by and tell you that in person.}{}{8}{}{0}{}

Gremag:
    {20}{You! You've double-crossed us! Now Burne and his strange friend Rufus have put a special watch out on us. There's nothing I can do to you while in Hommlet, but I will refuse to trade with you. Our doors are closed to you!}{You! You've double-crossed us! Now Burne and his strange friend Rufus have put a special watch out on us. There's nothing I can do to you while in Hommlet, but I will refuse to trade with you. Our doors are closed to you!}{}{20}{}{}
    {21}{You were responsible for that assassin that came after me, weren't you?}{}{1}{game.global_flags[277] == 1 and game.global_flags[428] == 0 and game.quests[64].state != qs_completed and game.quests[64].state != qs_botched}{380}{}
    {22}{You are a bad man, Gremag. And I have no sympathy for you. Farewell.}{}{8}{}{0}{}
    {23}{You bad guy. Me not care!}{}{-7}{}{0}{}
    {24}{Whatever. Your petty concerns do not bother me. I leave you to wallow in your misery.}{}{8}{}{0}{}

Our Host!