How much can the Druid's Wildshape be modified?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Aeroldoth, May 9, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

They're good suggestions, but we don't use house rules for Co8 stuff, since people will never agree on them (particularly in an area such as this where, as you point out, the designers themselves have not come to consensus). But in any case, this stuff sounds like it can't really be done without major additions to the code.

I am just (off the top of my head) thinking about how we could implement some of the extraordinary attacks - giving the character a druid belt that grants improved trip when in Wolf form (for instance) is theoretically doable, I just can't think how to trigger it when the moment comes. :shrug:

2. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

well, if you want something that makes wildshapes useful from the core rules, theres the multiattack feat (MM P304) - whether or not you meet the prereqs is debatable, considering you only have 3 natural attacks some of the time, and only in some forms...

3. Shiningted

Sorry, V_P, the ToEE engine doesn't seem to recognise that feat :( And there is no way we could script it - if we could change numbers of attacks on the fly, we could limit Scather and Fragarach so they don't do unlimited attacks of answering.

4. vampiricpuppy

hmmm? multiattack doesnt change the number of attacks; it just makes secondary natural attacks more accurate

5. vampiricpuppy

other wildshape forms :p im hooked now lol

Legendary Eagle (MM2, but we already have legendary rat, so...) - flyspeed 100... AC 25 Touch AC 21 :eek:

Legendary Ape - AC 19, str 30 dex 17 con 16

Legendary Wolf - AC 24, str 25 dex 28 con 21

Tendriculos - grappler >_<, but its so good at it.... swallow whole, paralysis inside stomach, regeneration....... blahhh

Elephant - str 30, dex 10, con 21, trample 2d8+15

or if you're using MM2 stuff

Grizzly Mastodon - str 35, lots of attacks, trample 4d8+18

Triceratops - str 30 dex 9 con 25 mentioned before, but you essentially get to charge: 4d8+20, and then in the next round, trample away for 2d12+15 readying itself for another charge :Crazy_Lio kind of like running someone over and then reversing back and forth on top of them... has the qualities of rhino and elephant merged together :)

6. Shiningted

Exactly what you want in a woman :icon_chuc

Ok, multiattack is a monster feat - I got it. Still not sure it can be implemented though: again, I don't know of any way to individually script for this or that attack to buff them. (If we could we could make the you-know-what in KotB attack individually with its claws and bite, rather than just having it pwn the poor character standing in front of it).

Isn't multiattack for the animal companion, rather than the Druid?

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I can't remember, but isn't it possible to set the number of natural attacks something has in the protos

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

You can define up to 3 natural attacks with modifiers for each of the three attacks in the protos for a monster. However, there is no feat nor magical property nor spell available to script the equivalent of multiattack for PC and NPC characters.

[EDIT]
    Those three natural attacks you can define in the protos are 'creature' attributes.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  9. Aeroldoth

Aeroldoth Established Member

So I guess I'll have to use my impromptu means to simulate it. :(
    Oh well, better than nothing.

I will add though that not all the rules in Co8 are official. For example, Read Magic is not supposed to ID potions, yet I have no problem with that in toee. I feel it's an acceptable compromise since toee doesn't offer all the options of full D&D, just as I feel regen is an acceptable compromise for all the abilities that Wildshape doesn't have in toee.

I don't know anything about programming, but Allyx's druid's vestments might provide an answer. Instead of modifying the wolf form, could you create an alternate wolf form that has that feat? Then, just as Allyx's item adds the hill giant form to the wildshape options, your druid belt could add wolf form B to the list, with this form having that feat? If you can't touch the original monsters, create alternate monsters with the abilities/powers you want, and then provide an item that allows those alternate forms.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Here's the only thing I can think of concerning that - short of DLL hacks.

What if a monster were scripted (referenced in the protos with a name like Wildshape-Bear, for example) along with the appropriate assigned natural attacks and whatnot in the protos? The PC or NPC character would have to have a scripted effect of losing their actions, except movement, and also not be able to be attacked during the duration of the 'wildshape' spell. The player would have to be able to control both the character movement AND the 'wildshape' monster actions during the duration of the wildshape spell. The one HUGE drawback is HPs, AC, and all other applicable character attributes and modifiers would have to be scripted to the spawned wildshape monster [a terrible huge script] AND if the wildshape monster is killed or dies, the character would die AND the wildshape monster would have to be destroyed and vanish from the game.

[EDIT]
    1. a new spell + a few or more either long or complex scripts
    2. It's very different from the actual pNp spell, wildshape, because the character and monster are not the same object moving around and attacking in the game.

Otherwise, and maybe, if only the monster could be always invisble AND the invisible monster only be right on top of the spell effected character AND the monster movement was dictated by the character movement (monster movement ghost shadows the character), then yes, but that may not even be able to be done.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  11. vampiricpuppy

just out of curiosity (i know that i have absolutely no idea when it comes to code) but how do the current wildshape forms work within the game?

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I believe that the radial menu options for wild shape are linked directly to the .DLL. The only reference to them in the games files are the labels for the radial menu options themselves - the text that tells you which option is for which creature.

I was only able to make the Hill Giant form because it was already coded (it's also available if you get a hold of Kella's Ring of Change somehow).

13. Shiningted

Yeah, it would be a .dll hack, and probably the .dll references the model rather than a prototype. If I'm wrong, then yes we could make a new prototype and have the .dll look for it, and that particular .dll hack would be one of the easier ones.

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

And, looking through the list of wildshape animals and monsters, the models [and skins] and protos entries for most of what is in those lists of monsters are not in the game. New protos entries are easy, but new models are questionable to make or, maybe, are not possible.

15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Some research a while ago showed that it is possible to "polymorph" to a different model, but, once you change you can't change back again.

Our Host!