how do you roll your stats?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Deitti, Sep 16, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Deitti

Deitti Member

Nah, not even with racial modifiers. the best you can get is 16,14,12,11,10,8 with point buy system. Racial modifier could get an 18 but not the 16 after it.

IMO the whole point buy system sucks anyway, 25 points is just enough to get two 16s and a 13. so basically it allows you to make the simple single class builds like fighter,rogue,cleric etc etc but you won't ever be making multiclass or things like good paladin or monk with point-buy. Or atleast I would never make those with point-buy :p

2. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

You guys do know that you can just set your stats to whatever you want them to be, right?

3. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Hi sonofliberty
    I'm vaguely aware that you can adjust using the console, but have found consoling pretty awkward previously when trying something else (I think restoring XP lost when a 'remove spell permanency' by Jaroo didn't work out properly). I also hear that consoling can cause problems later on in unpredictable, possibly game-killing ways, so tend to hold off.
    Any hints gratefully received, though (I need to get that Man-at-arms back into mediocrity!)

4. sonofliberty

You don't have to use the console. When creating your character, set your stat to the desired number in the advanced screen. Drag the number to a position on the screen equivalent to where the boxes are on the other screen. go back and forth between the two screens until all six stats are set.

5. Nightcanon

Thanks, sonofliberty, I'll have a go at that.
    Is it possible to modify the files whilst transferring between versions of the game as Gaear describes in his post above, does anyone know?

6. Deitti

Deitti Member

i know about that method but i refuse to use it anymore. i once made party that abused the "place rolled numbers instead of 8s in point-buy" and what was the result of that? i deleted the party and the saves half-way through because it was so damn easy. like literally i was rolling through every encounter in the game all the way to respawned moathouse(i completed it) before i deleted the saves.

besides, didn't Gaear once say that using that method has possibility of corrupting your saves? or was that only in the case if you took a stat higher than 30?

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The character creation cheat/exploit doesn't run any risks, but if you console some stats into the stratosphere there can be complications.

8. Nightcanon

Thanks Gaear. I seem to recall someone reporting issues with crashes because their godlike Int gave them too many skll points per level. For myself I'd just like to be able to put together a plausible and coherent party without spending ages re-rolling. I find that my mouse is less responsive in ToEE than in other programs, sufh that I find pressing the on-screen buttons a drag (#firstworldproblems).

9. sonofliberty

That is my thought as well. If I want to play a paladin or a monk, or a ranger or any multi-class; I don't want to spend ages rolling them up. I would rather just build the character to concept. I did give one of my characters all 18s once, but that was for a solo run. Aside from that, I just build to concept.

10. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

When I first started playing this game (years ago I might add- I'm an old fart ;)) I rolled until I got the at least 3 15's or 2 or more 16-17-18's and then looked for the racial modifiers. When I heard about the point buy exploite I used that but with the restriction of at least rolling to get at least 1 16 for a stat, after that I would buy up the 3 lowest stats and raise them to 18- basically the main stats for whatever character class I wanted my character for (Fighters got Str, Con and Dex, Clerics got Wis, Con, Charisma, etc.). If I actually do get 1 or 2 18's when I roll then of course I only buy up 1 or 2 stats- and I did make a Superman party the first time I tried this exploit in the vanilla TOEE- boring, boring, boring. I quit before I even reached the Temple and started over...:nerd:

11. Acrux

Acrux Member

12. SCO

SCO Member

I wish the roll menu showed the total sum so my OCD would be less strenous.

13. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

I believe it is a 38 point-buy array. TOEE uses 25.

14. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you mean how many times you've rolled it does.

I use the drag and drop cheat sometimes if I'm having a really bad go at rolling, but nothing beats kicking butt with chars you rolled legally and YOU know you didn't cheat in any way, shape, or form. :yes:

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

He probably means the sum of the current roll. He may reject those below a certain sum. For me, as I've said, this is 90.

"Legally rolled?" Did you roll more than once? :p

Me? I cheat like a mofo. :)

Have you ever used the pregenerated characters as a template (sum=72, usually), but added 2 or 3 to each stat?

Our Host!