How do you generate your parties?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BenWH, Jun 24, 2013.

Remove all ads!
?

How do you generate your party characters?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2013.
  1. I use the point buy system

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. I use the random roll system, with lots of rerolls.

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. I use the random system, roll once and move the numbers around..

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I use the random system and take exactly what I get, 1st time.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. I use the console to change my characters to what I want

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Euh, If you've got high sneak abilities, you can finish the game without too much combat (though you'll want to go for stealing Zug's gems)

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I have to say that my group of PnP friends that meet every two weeks or so, (via FGII) is playing this module and it is still rather heavy in combat, even with a DM dishing out the pain.

But, man is it a great freaking module for actual PnP playing!

3. scramjetbooster

scramjetbooster Blasted Nerfherder

I used to roll the stats like you but then I <strikethrough>took a sprain in my wrist<strikethrough> exploit the random/point buy glitch..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

For a minute there I thought you might have taken the ol arrow to the ... :p

5. scramjetbooster

scramjetbooster Blasted Nerfherder

Ouch! That would have hurt..:eek:_O:

6. blakdeth

blakdeth Member

+1

My most memorable PnP experience.
    Back in the mid 1980s we had a group of 8 or 9 players depending on who could show up every Sunday afternoon.
    What a great time, and it was rather combat driven.
    We also went through Against the Slave Lords with the same group over a period of about 2 years overall.
    Lots of twists and turns, scheming and revenge.

As far as character creation goes, I've always stuck to the 'many rolls' method, but create characters in the order I intend to place them in the party.
    IE: two fighter types first (been going with rangers lately), two clerics next, then two spell casters, then the rogue, leaving a spot for one NPC.

Never used an exploit, and didn't like the point buy system really.

I add the the stats and if it's over a total of 90 I'll most likely keep 'em, but not if there's a single digit stat in the bunch.
    I tried keeping some with one low score (below 10), but it's very limiting for a dungeon crawl type of adventure, which is what ToEE is really, so we may as well play to it's strengths.

I've also been tending to save off lately just before advancing a character's level so I can have one that has a decent hit pt score.
    Otherwise I tend to see a lot of minimum hp rolls, which makes for instant kill spell casters, for example 6th level or higher with less than 20 hp is NOT survivable.

We start to see some damage heavy spell casting around this level and one blast will take out all my spell casters if their initiative comes up short and they haven't had a chance to spread out.

One of the things I enjoy about this mdule is that it's pretty tactical, and that's a challenge with lower hp characters.

7. Eric_Blair

Eric_Blair Member

I'm always afraid I won't be able to kill the Balor, so I roll pretty hard.

In a table top session a GM can accommodate more erm, creative stats (I guess) but this being a video game with rigid rules and systems, it's munchkin or nothing.

Our Host!