How disarm works?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ulquiorra, Jul 4, 2023.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

Friends,can you help me in one(more) thing?I know that with this mod you can make a Disarm(and Improved Disarm if you take a feat).How it works? I read a Disarm description in D&D wikis-does it works the same here?And what will happen if an enemy drops his weapon-will he pick up it back(and equip it),or will it just lie there(then,will I be able to pick it during the fight)?And,if the enemy is unable to pick it back-will he equip other weapon if he has it? I guess,that after being Triped,the enemies will rise up(as it should be in real life),but what about being Disarmed?

2. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

I haven't used it but I imagine the enemy will likely switch weapon which takes its action economy away ( they won't be able to attack likely) unless they have quick draw for some reason.

Or they can probably spend there turn picking up and re equipping.

Might be useful in a pinch for a fighter character that is squishy to disarm the opponent

Ulquiorra likes this.
  3. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

Thank you again,OLLY613!

4. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

I haven't played ToEE in quite a while, but I imagine that disarm could be quite useful against some of the higher level bugbears that trip and hit hard. Also most non-human creatures don't carry a backup weapon or have ranged backup...which could be an advantage as using nothing or a ranged weapon in combat is not so good for most anything that has a class.

I've always gone for characters with improved Trip and that works fairly well, due to the AoO resulting.

So...I guess why I'm responding is to say:

If you do get good use out of it, then write it up so others can see the value. It's a relatively new addition (in terms of ToEE lifetime).

Ulquiorra likes this.
  5. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

Thank you,hammyh,for your response! I will write about my experience with it(in terms of effectiveness) after I'll play the game.It's just important to me to know how it will work BEFORE I'll start-because of character build planning.

6. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

Well, what you can do if you don't get any responses from players that have used it is:

Try the tutorial for basic disarm (it's part of the very basic actions menu). This provokes an AoO against you.

And/or start a game with a fighter with combat expertise (pre-req) and improved disarm to test. And iirc the CN? start (could be remembering wrong-but a few of the alignments begins with a combat). Or just adventure a bit to get a feel for what happens in game - there are a few basic quests with kobolds and stuff that use weapons.

This will show what the mobs will do when they lose the weapon and also whether you like it.

Edit: maybe the tutorial has no monsters with weapons...I can't remember...but it can give you some idea of what the menu acts like - I think disarm won't select when it can't be done iirc. You could attack the npc, which can be disarmed but friendly combat doesn't have the AoO.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
    Ulquiorra likes this.
  7. OccasionallyGood

OccasionallyGood Member

The weapon goes into your inventory which is interesting because this also applies to weapons that you can't loot (e.g. Ogre Greatclubs).
    However, the chance to disarm a strong opponent is kinda low so in most cases it's just more effective to spend turn on hitting them.
    Also there is a bug - sometimes disarm attempts are not displayed in the roll history.

Ulquiorra likes this.
  8. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Anytime! It's all about learning and having fun!

Love this old gem of a game.

Ulquiorra likes this.
  9. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

1.So,my successful Disarm attempt doesn't drop enemy weapon on the ground,instead it goes to my inventory,correct? Well,that means that he lose it forever(sad for him:().
    2.Did you interact with enemies,who,after you disarmed them,pull out another weapon?
    3.Does this mechanic works the same,when somebody disarms me?And,if so,after I kill him,I can take my weapon from his corpse?
    4.What about disarming dual-wielding foe?Will he lose only mainhand weapon,or both?

10. OccasionallyGood

OccasionallyGood Member

I needed to do more tests to confirm.

If your PC is armed then the weapon is dropped to the ground. And yes, the enemy actually grabs it on their next turn if it's still there.
    If your PC is unarmed then the weapon goes to PC's mainhand if they're able to wield it. Otherwise the weapon goes to inventory.
    However I was testing with unarmed monk14/rogue1 and even though she was able wield Heavy Mace (due to being rogue), the weapon went to inventory in this case too.

During multiple tests I've done, disarmed opponent never pulled out another weapon from their inventory despite having it.

I don't rememer that AI has ever used Disarm in any battle. But if you fail your disarm attempt then Counter Disarm is triggered from your opponent on the same turn and yes, the mechanic in this case is the same.
    If you have Improved Disarm feat then Counter Disarm is not triggered (not tested myself).

He will lose only mainhand weapon. If you disarm him again, then the offhand weapon is lost too.

Ulquiorra likes this.
  11. zertzax

zertzax Member

Interesting to read about this tactic. I may give it a try when I can finally afford a new computer.

Ulquiorra likes this.
  12. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

Thank you VERY MUCH,OccasionallyGood,for such detailed information! It will be VERY useful for me(and,I think,for other peoples,too) in my adventures!

Our Host!