how difficult would it be...

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by makeshiftwings, Oct 7, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings Member

Is there a fairly easy way to increase my character's encumberance limits? (Without just increasing their strength). I've already installed the patch, so boots and gloves are lighter, but ideally I'd like to be able to let my characters wear whatever clothes I want without having to worry about going over their pathetically small weight limits... Maybe a hex editor or something, or are encumberance limits hardcoded to match strength?

2. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

Probably hardcoded to match strangth but where that coding is... Maybe a rules file has those limitations?

3. Berkut

Berkut Member

Well... It's very possible that enc. is hard coded to str attribute... You can always hop into hex and boost your char str (slightly can disbalance your char's power)... Also some items (gloves, boots, etc..) were changed to "light" in 1.0 unofficial mod... Possibly you can look into trying to lower weight of "items" you are wearing.... Just some ideas....

4. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

We're really trying to keep this "by the book" as much as possible. So, as long as your strength DOES actually represent your total carry weight, (per 3rd ed) we shouldn't make a change.

There's probably tons of errors in the item Weights' however. (there maybe even engine limitations too. (i.e. the minimum might be 1 lb)...

You're referring to another reason why Wiz/Soc's don't wear plate(other than spell failure)...(In most cases) They are simply too frail to be able to spend significant time in it.

If you're referrig to just normal clothes(that are correctly weighted), Why do you need to carry around 7 different outfits anyway? :) (j/k)

5. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings Member

Yeah, I guess there are two things that bug me about the encumberance that differ from PnP:

1) Whenever I played PnP, we were never so anal about encumberance that we would actually keep track of the weight of your leather boots, jaunty cap, gloves, cloak, and robes, saying it all adds up to 30 or 40 lbs. I always said a character had on his normal no-AC "outfit" and that it weighed 1 lb or two. ToEE has all these clothing options that do absolutely nothing gameplay-wise, they just make your avatar look different; but somehow they all weigh insane amounts so that it kind of forces you to have all your character be naked except for armor if you want to be able to carry things.

2) CRPGs differ from PnP in that there tends to be a lot more combat and a lot more loot. Going in and out of the dungeon every five minutes because you can't carry everything is annoying, and giving up useful items just because you can't carry them is also annoying.

I guess the easiest solution for me at least would be to lower the weight of all the non-magical, no-stats clothing to 0 or 1 lbs, so that my characters can have their jaunty caps and billowing cloaks without needing to crawl along the ground ;). Anyone know where I should start looking to modify those weights?

6. Halk

Halk Member

The game, wisely in my opinion, seems to keep note of very little.

Keeps note of your hps (but not con bonus), encumberance would work the same, same as saving throws based on con, dex, wis.

The downside from this is that anything that is a result of these can only be altered by changing the rules, which are mainly hard coded.

So it would not be easy to change encumberance without changing strength.

Hps, for example, are kept as 10 for a level 1 fighter with 18 con, not 14.

If you go alter the fighter to have 20 con, then his hps will go up to 15 when he's added to a party.

Our Host!