Homlett villagers still attack

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ShadowDragoon, Dec 25, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I heard that there was a correction in one of the patches that keeps the villagers from attacking after you have the guy from the Moathouse in the party, but I've already tried two (the Service Pack 2 and the TOEE Fan Fixes v3-0-4), and the villagers still attack me. Now, I didn't actually get back to the village until after I installed Service Pack 2, so will un-installing it make them not attack me, or do I need another patch?

2. ShadowDragoon

EDIT: I found a way around it for all that have the same problem. If you want Laerth in your party, but don't want the villagers to attack you, have him join. Then, when he still has low HP, kill him off. He'll be in your party, but you'll get the award for killing him anyway. The villagers will be happy, so take care of your business in town, revive him, then move on...

3. Tazira

Tazira Member

Ok...Here's another villagers attacking issue. I was going through the moathouse. I went past the goblins (and they marked on the map where Lareth could be found) Fought and beat the bugbears...picked up all their stuff...then, I went back to the Inn to heal before continuing on to Lareth. Got there and they all of a sudden attacked me! I don't have Lareth in my party yet, (as far as I know) NPC's in Party are: Melany, Elmo and Zert. Is Zert Lareth in disguise? ???

4. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Maybe it has something to do with dealing with the "goblins" (they're actually gnolls, but whatever). I've never done anything but attack them, and I've never had a problem. Maybe the villagers think you're evil. Maybe the gnolls left the moathouse and went on a rampage in town. Maybe it's just a bug that happens in this situation.
    Anyway, while Zert is not Lareth, he is evil (he'll make your paladin fallen if he joins you). That probably isn't helping.

5. Tazira

Tazira Member

Ok. I decided to go back to the moathouse. I dealt with the Gnolls again, instead of fighting them. Then I fought my way through the bugbears and the guards till I got to Lareth. I beat Lareth...(kind of creamed him actually) went back to the village and there was no problem. So, it must be that it's some kind of weird thing in the game.

Picked up Lareth's Staff of Striking and equipped it to my Druid who uses a quarterstaff. Hung onto his magic plate mail, magic ring and Lareth's gold necklace...thinking that it may come in handy later. Hung onto a couple of the Flame Followers cloaks and also one of the tribal necklaces.

Presently have just arrived in Nulb! Of the above items, are any of them unnecessary...and is the Ragged note for Terjon unnecessary?

6. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

Sell one of Lareth's items to the two traders in Hommlet (his shoes are probably best as they are worth almost nothing and are otherwise useless).

7. Tazira

Tazira Member

Can't do that. I killed the traders for their magic items and their stash. I could sell the armored boots to the blacksmith though. He'll take them.

8. ordinaryjones

s
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r

Selling one of Lareths items to those two traders will cause something to happen the next time you travel on the world map.

9. ShadowDragoon

...you can't be serious...if it's anything really worthwhile, like a good item, then I gotta start my game over again...I killed off the merchants before I returned from the Moathouse. By the way, I let reviving Laereth go too long, so he ended up dissapearing till I got him back to the town...which sucks...I still don't have another 8th character...

10. ordinaryjones

s
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r

There are a couple of magical items involved, which are very nice for a lower level party. If you'd like to see what the encounter involves without starting a new game type "create 14303" in the console screen.

When you use "create" or "give" to spawn something remember whichever character you have highlighted will receive the item (give), or have it created on top of them (create). You'll probably want someone who is unlikely to be killed easily as the target if you are spawning something to fight.

11. ShadowDragoon

Eh, I started my game over anyway. There was something wrong with my save files. They refused to load for some reason...every time I'd try to load the save file, my game would crash. It happened before, though I got it to work after a few tries. I think I just used Quick Save a little too often. But, I'm having no problems on my new save file.

12. seebs

seebs Member

FWIW, I had a lot of problems with villagers attacking.

In my case, I could clear the moathouse almost entirely, but if I cleared it completely, the villagers went hostile. For me, it was the two bugbears in the "closets" on the lower-right corner of the first bugbear room. If I don't open those doors, I kill all the other bugbears and all is well. If I open those doors, and kill those last two bugbears, the village goes hostile.

Our Host!