Here is a test [from 1895].

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krunch, Apr 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Here is a test [from 1895].

Attached Files:

2. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Nice :).

Our Australian tests are still that hard ;).

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The test was a one-day, five-hour final exam for the 8th grade in 1895 in Kansas, USA.

The key is that this was an 8th grade final exam. It shows how much education was important in the 1800s. Most people these days are too dependent on calculators and computers.

* How many 8th graders know what syllabication and marking diacritically is and how to use it?
    * If someone asked 8th graders what orthography, diphthong, and cognate letters are, would they be able to immediately provide the answer?
    * If someone asked 8th graders to find the interest of $ 512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent using pencil and paper (no calculator), would they able to determine the interest?

4. Ugignadl

Of course not. I think everyone realises that, right? Anyone with a sense of history anyway. No need to get all preachy about it.

I stand by my `Nice' comment... who are you hoping to surprise with that?

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I was taken by surprise when I read the email with the test in it. I was intending exclamation rather than preachy. Poor education is one of my pet peeves; the idea or concept in school systems that children and teenagers should play more and do less homework is horrific.

6. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

It is interesting that the test seems to at first glance reflect what was considered to be relavant at the time. The skills reflected are indicative of preparation for life in the society of the time. Is it equitable then to indite todays educational system from an isolated fragment of history. It does cause one to ponder what the goals of the education system in the US are. Do we still try to prepare our children to succeed in the world, by teaching them skills that are relevant to cultural and moral needs of our society? I don't know I am far removed and self educated. Thanks it was fun to look at and it made me think.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  7. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Keep in mind that at that time, 8th grade was the highest level of education most people who even went to school received. Any higher level of education was for the wealthy, and many people did not even get an 8th grade level of education. They got Sunday School, and that was about it.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Education is an issue to me too, not least because I work in a facility attached to a school. But this is a bit of a furphy.

8th graders nowdays learn several branches of science (note there was no science element to that test???), they learn arts such as music etc, they have computer classes, woodwork/metalwork/whatever (we called it 'Farm Mechanics' because I went to an agricultural school, meaning we studied all sorts of Agriculture stuff), probably a second language, and ancient / modern history as well as their national stuff. Furthermore, large amounts of that grammatical / syntactical stuff is a complete waste of time for children to learn, particularly in a world like ours where language is so rapidly changing. U don't need to know those rules to be a 1337 communicator nowdays.

"Do not ask, why were things better in the old days. There is no wisdom in the question". Proverbs

9. Ugignadl

Sorry if I seemed curt Krunch, it comes from teaching at uni (UOW Ted) and always having to defend the legitimacy of your job to irrelevant things like this. Sorry :(.

10. Cerulean the Blue

What the hell did you just say?

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'm saying in the global village in which we live, where the English language changes noticably every decade, being able to pedantically define the parts of language isn't nearly as important as simply being understood. People say English has been in decline since WW2, but then that English at that time was 'crappy' compared to Victorian English, which was wretched compared to Shakespeare's time, which itself was degenerate by Chaucer's standard (the language, not their writings ;) ). Or so each successive generation claims about the next: but what good does it do? Kids today sound ridiculous to me, but my parents said that about my generation and today's kids will say the same thing about their children. Its not a failure of education, its just time marching on.

[/rant]

edit: UoW? The Gong? Shweeeeeeeeeet!!! Had many a beer in that bar, and chased the rabbits around campus too! :)

12. Ugignadl

Yeah, the Gong :). Those damn rabbits should never have escaped, infesting the campus like that... at least we have the fearsome ducks to chase them down :).

I don't know if I agree with you completely, Ted. Sure language is ever changing, and today at an greater pace than ever before. But is it really good? Sometimes I feel that this transition is lossy, in that we lose expressiveness. Although as with earlier communication we will most likely regain this lost expressiveness. Just today I had an argument with someone (a student) about the differences between internal and intrinsic. (The topic arose when I was regaling them with a tale about the invented word extrinsic.) You wouldn't be able to get that difference across in this new fangled modern language kids use.

Oh well. At least it's quick to write :).

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Being an "elitist" yourself :poke: , I should think you'd recognize that form of speak...(1337=leet). Or am I just a giant dumba@$$ who can't tell when u r funnin'?

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Blue aint dumb...was his attempt at disassociation by distraction and redirection...attempt to cause confusion and avoid the noid. :D

15. Cerulean the Blue

I make no attempt to hide the fact that I despise 1337, and every other transformation of language brought on by the internet ( such as using "u" for "you" and "2" for "to" - don't even get me started on "l8r"). I do not despise the transition and evolution of language. Quite the opposite. These are wonderful things, embedding the reality of the times into the spoken and written word. What really bothers me is that the younger generations seem to be loosing the ability to express themselves clearly in favor of speedier communication - faster but with less content. The concept of metaphor and simile is lost on these people, unless it is in some cliché. Even then they do not seem to grasp the true meaning.

Our Host!