Help! Multiple Problems - Welkwood Bog, Map, and Brother Smyth

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by w4mvp, Apr 29, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. w4mvp

w4mvp Member

So I just downloaded the game from gog.com and the modco8 pack version 7.7.0. I started over with new characters and ran into several major issues.

1. When I get the quest to go to Welkwood Bog, it does not show up on my map. If I ask to have him send me there directly when I take the quest, he does not. He instead sends me to Hommet north location (Temple area, 33). If I talk to the Captain again I cannot talk to him about the bog again. I have no way of getting to the Bog.

2. My map is all messed up. When I click on the moathouse the little marker shows me going up to Emridy Meadow. I still show up at the moathouse, but obviously something is wrong here.

3. When I give the giant's head to Smyth he says to come back the next day for the masterwork items. When I come back the next day, Smyth is no longer there. He isn't in his house either. The anvil noise is also gone. Where did he go? I tried loading from an earlier save and trying to complete the quest again. The results are the same.

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

1- There have been past issues with traveling directly to a location from a dialogue box. Always exit the conversation first and go outside, save the game (in case you have a random wilderness event you aren't able to handle), then look for the location to appear in the right side window and click on the name of the place you want to go to.

2- Make sure that you right click the front end icon and choose 'run as administrator' it will help with a lot of issues.

3- Are you sure you waited 24 hours? Brother Smyth doesn't work at night... Good luck with the rest of the game...

3. w4mvp

w4mvp Member

1. That was what I did the first time. It doesn't show up on the map or list. The only reason I had him take me there through dialog on the second try (i usually don't do that) was to see if it would work. Neither way did.

2. That doesn't seem to make any difference.

3. I waited multiple days. First time I left the village and slept somewhere else (Emridy meadows maybe?) the second time I slept at the inn. 3rd time I just waited. In all 3 situations, Smyth is gone and nowehere to be found.

Thank you for the quick response. Any other ideas?

4. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

1- check your logbook to make sure you accepted the quest- if it was merely mentioned it will show up a different color than an accepted quest. IIRC turning down a quest before accepting it might snafu it...

2- running as administrator makes a difference as far as how the game handles things- do you have a previous version of the game or modpack installed that you overwrote?

3- as far as Brother Smyth goes I have to admit that I've never heard of him disappearing like that- I'd say do a search for Brother Smyth on the general comment thread of the version 7.7 NC modpack and see if this has happened before. Beyond that, reread the modpack info by clicking on the Co8 banner- they have a lot more detailed info on past and potential problems. Good luck...

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Something is clearly wrong ... you should reactivate the module, taking great care to follow the instructions to the letter, do not interrupt the activation, etc., etc.

There are no issues with traveling to different locations via dialogue in a properly installed modern release. Speaking of which, you should grab the just released v7.8 and use that.

6. w4mvp

w4mvp Member

Yeah I guess I'm going to just uninstall everything and start over. Frustrating to have to do everything over again though.

Our Host!