Help!! Help installing please

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by veryfinemale, Jan 7, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. veryfinemale

veryfinemale Member

Hello all
    I love the CO8 mod to the TTEE game, and have played through it several times. I am eagerly wanting to play this Keep on the Borderlands, but can not seem to install it.

I would GREATLY appreciate someones help.

INSTALL KotB DEMO FINAL

Extract the KotB_Demo_Final.rar file to the root directory (Atari / Temple of Elemental Evil). Click 'extract and replace' or 'overwrite' as necessary.

Is this (Above) in the general folder and NOT the modules folder? Or do I extract files directly into the modules folder within?

This will create a file called KotB_Demo_1.1_Final.tfm and matching .txt and .jpg files, which should appear alongside the data, docs and modules folders and other elements of the root folder.

I have seen those above folders.

To play, run TFE-X, select the module and click 'Activate'. This may take some time.

[B]THis I am not sure of TFE-X is this the Temple Front End ? What is the X? Do I just run the game from front end? I have tried this a few times but I do not seen the Keep module anyplace. ANy suggestions?[/B]

Be aware that if you have a copy of Co8 5.5.0 or any other mod active, any private changes (such as editing the protos.tab) will be lost when the module is de-activated - back up the data folder as necessary!

When it is done, select 'Options / Clear the Game Cache' and press play.

PLEASE Help.......... perhaps we could IM or email directly as I try and get this game running

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Check the last part of step 5 for TFE-X.

Simplified directions, to install.

From scratch:

ToEE
    Patch 2
    Extract into root directory (the one inside Atari):
    TFE-X v2.2
    KotB Final

If you have 5.5.0:

Extract into root directory:
    KotB Final

Then, Start Freontend
    Activate KotB
    Play

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

You've answered you're own question there: extract to the 'general folder' as you put it, not the modules folder.
    Its the latest version of the Front End, called TFE-X. It only works with the latest version: previous versions are incompatable and no longer supported. It comes with the latest Co8 5.5.0 mod, or you can download the latest version (currently TFE-X 2.2) from THIS thread.
    Nah. Keeping it public helps anyone else with the same issue,

4. veryfinemale

veryfinemale Member

Now need help finding the silly secret door

Well this is frustrating.

I finally got this working and got my party ready. Got supplies and now I have to find the secret door/ladder to start this.

I have been wandering around for 20 mins (or more) walk , search, walk search

And NOTHING

This is probably very easy to find, but I can not seem to find the secret door/ladder I need to get started.
    Yes I have a pretty high search score to start with. I am using a rogue with my highest search score and I am finding nothing

THis should not be this difficult to get started.

Where is this secret ladder/door? HELP me get started

5. GuardianAngel82

I'm guessing you are in KotB.

There is a special search option in the upper half of the radial menu. The icon you are looking for is somewhere above the middle merchant.

Check back if this doesn't help. ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  6. Shiningted

Specifically you need to use the 'concentrated search (working)' option in the inventory area of your radial menu, not the usual search. There are a couple of essential secret doors in the game that have been made using this method to make sure they can never be corrupted by the secret door bug.

The secret door is located pretty much where you first spawn.

7. veryfinemale

veryfinemale Member

YEs I have been using the concentrated search from the radial bar menu. I have been using it again and again...... and again............ and again........... and again.............. and again.....................and again.................... and again

NOTHING

Very frustrating.

I have slightly higher than normal stats So my search for my rogue is high at 10.
    I walk around search (using concentrated) walk some more search again and again

This should not be this difficult just to start the game

8. veryfinemale

veryfinemale Member

Somebody ? Help?

9. Shiningted

I'm sorry, I don't know what more to say :shrug: There is a DC23 secret ladder right where you first start on the caravan map. As long as someone has 3 ranks in Search, you should find it.

I can only re-iterate, when you open the radial menu, don't go to 'concentrated search', go to 'inventory' then 'concentrated search (working)'.

Otherwise no matter how many CTDs this mod is giving us, no-one else has had any problems getting off the caravan map once they worked out how. So it follows the problem must be at your end.

10. GuardianAngel82

FOR KEEP ON THE BORDERLAND ONLY: Reiterating: DO NOT USE THE SEARCH ON THE LOWER RIGHT. USE THE NEW SEARCH THAT IS COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (UP) ABOVE THAT. Search through the radial menu use the one that says Concentrated Search (working) not Search (concentrated). Have you found them both? ;)

You might also be playing something other than KotB. Are the icon in the lower-right corner blue?

11. Mahä

Mahä Member

help!

Hello people. I have just installed the new mod, and it seems very promising, but i have a problem similar to veryfinemale's.

Im stuck on the platform with the lizardmen, im guessing i have to find some kind of secret exit, but i can't find it. I've heard another sort of search function mentioned, in the inventory area of the radial menu, but i dont have it :s

please help me! i haven't played TOEE in more than a year, and i'm having serious withdrawal symptoms as im writing :chew:

12. Shiningted

O dear :blink:

You've got a couple of issues. First, I don't see how you could have the latest version: the TFE-X format pretty much prevents these sorts of problems. You have to get the latest (Demo Final) version HERE (I am not sure where you got the old version from as I removed it. If you ARE using the latest version, well, read on anyway and my apologies).

Secondly, you have a bad install, pure and simple. If yuo see Lizardmen on a platform, then you are seeing KotB monsters on a ToEE map and have mixed the 2 up somehow (which could be done in the original ToEE-FE if you installed one thing over the top of another but is REALLY hard to achieve with the TFE-X format).

If you don't have TFE-X (or don't even know what it is) may I suggest you grab the Co8 5.5 patch first? Its come a long way in the past year and will automatically give you TFE-X when you unpack it.

13. Mahä

Mahä Member

I believe I have the newest version, and I installed everything required exactly as described in your KoTB thread in the download section. I also installed the Co8 5.5 patch before playing...
    Could it be that something is wrong with my TOEE discs? I'm reinstalling the game on a different computer now, maybe i get it right this time...
    Thanks!

14. Shiningted

Let us know how you go :)

Our Host!