Healing numbers confusing

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lord Plothos, Mar 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Healing domain subtracting?!

Hey all, I recently had a cleric of pelor with the healing domain cast cure moderate wounds on an ally. He was 4th level, so even normally he should heal a minimum of 2+4 = 6. With the healing domain it should be 2+5=7 minimum. Instead, he healed only 5! The only explanation I can think of is the healing domain subtracted instead of adding. Am I missing something?

On the other hand, his cure light spell did 13 at fourth level, which is max if the healing domain is working as it should. So I'm just totally lost. Any ideas?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, unfortunately this is officially bug #258. :(

Kalshane offerred this opinion on the matter:

My guess is that it would require a .dll hack to fix.

3. Lord Plothos

Hmm, that would suggest it's even worse than the bonus not being applied to the low end. If you can get a 1 from cure serious (I've never seen that personally), then presumably it's random from 1 up to the max, which is just plain silly. :anger:

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, particularly when you're really counting on something more. 1 HP heals in the middle of the Hedrack battle suck in a major way. Not only have you done essentially nothing for the needy PC/NPC, you're healer wasted a turn where he could have done something more worthwhile.

5. Lord Plothos

Oooooo Oooooo!

*Pauses a moment while inspiration settles upon him like a damp cardigan* :bebi:

Any chance we could add a front end option for non-random or less random cures? Guaranteed to heal 4 or 5 out of every d8? I'd vote for d8=5, but maybe d8 = 1d2+3?

The loss of the randomness takes us from core 3.5, but given the randomness doesn't seem random we're already gone. And we're doing the max HP thing as an option already, too. Just a thought. But that's a mod I'd be all for. :evil_laug

Our Host!