Hate to ask for help, but.... (spoiler)

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by NLB03, Feb 9, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yah. The portal WAS given a very high lock DC (40-something) but somehow the magical lock over-rides it or something? So while a key genuinely passes into your possession upon completing the quest, it does nothing to open the door: I had to do that manually from the Mad Wizard's script.

Now the Knocking... that, on the other hand, is one of the very rare occasions when the engine is working perfectly. I am inclined to leave it as it is - Wizards can Knock things open in the way (in pnp) a Barbarian can smash his way into the cunningest locked chest. People who do it that way may get to the Mad Wizard at too low a level, though, and they miss the 100XP bonus from completing the Hope Chest quest. Also, they miss the satisfaction of completing the little treasure hunt.

2. biobaba

biobaba Member

I was unable to chat with the lizards and resulting killing all of em... I suppose knock is the only way for me now to open the door unless there's some otherways I can get to the special area on the map in the future.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  3. Shiningted

Yes: if you aren't into doing the Lizardmen quests, Lord Axer will also give you the dragon one.

I think I will change the picture in the Lizardman Lair to give the location of both the Swamp and Mad Wizard - or maybe Aereon could do it. I guess it should be accessable if you are a CG or LG zealot who feels the need to exterminate the Lizardmen without parlety as a threat to the Keep (they are, after all, described as 'a particularly evil bunch' in the original module).

4. biobaba

biobaba Member

Is Aereson supposed to give me some new places to go? I met him.. then he said he would circle some spot of interests but i didnt really see any new spots (I replayed the mod did the lizard quest so I now have the dragon layer location)

One thing is odd about Aereson';s dialog.. after I declined him joining my party and I start to talk to him again the option 1 in the dialog window shows up as blank.. probabaly should mention in the bug thread but might as well do it here > <

EDIT:
    I tried the hope chest and dumped everything in but cant seem make the key to appear to the sruface ( the only items that did not make click sound were the scroll and the heart.. and I tried both scrolls + IDed them... do they have to be aligned in certain way? such as 1 2 or 1
    3 4 2
    5 6 3
    7 8 4
    9 10 5

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  5. Shiningted

No. They were meant to need to be done in order, but I couldn't get that to work.

The heart should click... can't test it from work though, sorry :(

EDIT: Aereon says he will mark areas on your map, but he doesn't do it yet.

6. biobaba

biobaba Member

sorry for the spoiler but it is the heart I get from gelatinous cub right?
    this mad wizard thing is really driving me mad lol

Also one starnge thing is RIGHT after you kill the cube when you click intop the corps before it disolves you see no loot.. the heart only shows up after the body has decayed

7. Shiningted

Yeah. Thats called a 'special fade-out' - a few monsters have it, so you have to do your looting another way.

And yes, thats Spot's heart all right. And you killed him, you fiend you.

EDIT: 'Gelatinous cub' - thats funny :)

8. biobaba

biobaba Member

if I got everything correct then I have no idea why I cant make the hope chest to do its magic...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.................... -_-.. probabaly just I am dumb then

9. Ecthelion

Ecthelion Lord ofthe Fountains

I had all ten ingredients in place, and couldn't get the key to appear. I tried everything. Then, with all ten items in the Hope Chest, I dragged the 'note' to the spot where the scroll was sitting, and Et Viola! the key appeared. I have no clue why this would make any difference at all, but it did. So if you're not getting the key, try dragging a few items around at random and...who knows?

10. Shiningted

Probably you put the scroll in last and didn't trigger the ending, and had to move something else to trigger it. That has been fixed but the fix hasn't been posted for various reasons.

11. biobaba

biobaba Member

the last item I put in was always the heart and I am very sure it did not make any click sound... even after switching things around I am not able to trigger anything...

does it matter which scroll I am using?
    well since this is a spoiler Ill spit all the item out just to make sure I got them right... I spent a lot of time on this I really hope I can get it some how... quite frustrating:
    SPOILER ALERT:

10 items
    -yellow flower
    -the note contains the riddle
    -scroll (I dont know which one but I tried both.. unindentified)
    -toy
    -pearl (WHITE.. not sure if it matters)
    -the other flower... a bit red colored
    -only WHITE beer.. its in a keg and I am unable to pour it into the bottle
    -Heart from the jello cube
    -broken peice of ancient stone clock
    -ornated quill pen

Oh and I smahed the lil-frankin-gobo not sure if it matters or not... and I also killed lizard men even I did helped em out

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  12. Shiningted

Looks fine to me. Lets have some spoilers:

any pearl should do

any scroll found there in the tower should do

the toy has to specifically be the 'tiger toy'

either of the flowers found outside (belladonna or wolfsbane) should do

its 'wheat' beer not white beer but yes, thats the beer :)

Seriously not sure why it is not working. No, the heart doesn't click (and hence as the final piece won't make it work), I just fixed that, but it should still work if you try shifting stuff around :)

13. biobaba

biobaba Member

in that case I guess this save is busted
    I switched them a lot in the bos -_-
    when it is done is something gonna happen and the key would show up in the chest?

anyhow thanks for the help sorry for asking so many times about this matter

14. biobaba

biobaba Member

I started a new game with LE party, I did the hope chest again but still unable to make it happen....

I then knocked door on the mad wizard.. once I get in I am not able to talk to the wizard at all... no dialog window ever poped up.. Is it normal?

15. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    I finally completed my "FedEx Certification Training" ( in other words, I actually filled the Hope Chest and got the key, in stead of using a Knock spell ). It was definately a more challanging fight (the wizard had a few friends that he didn't when I used a Knock spell). To get the key I placed the items in the chest in the following order:

I then dragged Item 2 to the location of Item 3, and the Key appeared. I don't know if
    I had problems with a corrupt save or not, but I had some gameplay issues ( to include a CTD when I went to return the troops to the gatetower ) that I will mention in the Bug thread.

TRC

Our Host!