Gremlich (Huh?)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ausdoerrt, Jul 5, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

So I finally triggered the Gremlich quest, but the thing doesn't want to die. I know I'm supposed to down it with a certain type of spells, but how many exactly do I need to land? 15 casts later, and it's good as new. Non-damaging spells seem to do nothing at all. :sadblinky

Is this because I never managed to get into the Rabbit Hole? Do I have to talk to the gnome before I stand a chance at killing the thing?

2. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

Unfortunately, the bugger didn't turn up until the War of the Golden Skull and I had to take advantage of some engine exploits to avoid the fight until no other nefarious characters were around. To be honest, I fought the battle several times during 7.2 and found the winning experience to be pretty flaky at best: casting flare and searing light (I think -- it's been a while) exclusively as per the rabbit hole instructions did not bring about a consistent result and I had to rinse (reload) and repeat with the same method several times before scoring a victory against the foul miscreant.

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, I just went through over 25 flares on my sorc, about as many flares and faerie fires on my Druid, and maybe 15 Searing Lights on my cleric, before my party ran out of HP. That's basically half the allowed spells per day for a level 13 character.

Looks broken to me.

4. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

I haven't got around to playing 7.3 yet, but in 7.2 (I think; the Dec 2011 one anyway), I found that the Gremlich reappeared in a different form after I brought it down to zero hp, all fully healed up. Went from a troll model to a seahag model or vice versa. However, hitting it with a light-based spell meant that when it was dead it stayed dead. Though the light spell (think I used searing light) did damage, it wasn't obviously extra vulnerable to it beyond the anti-ressurection effect, and the Gremlich remained an absolute s*d to kill- difficult to hit, potential to seriously damage your party here it hurts etc. Possibly some DR too.
    Awesome addition, btw- a challenging fight and the sound effect on the 'empty' random encounter screen sent a shiver down my spine every time.

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, that was the first thing I tried, but he switches forms and heals as soon as he reaches "near death" state. A single Searing Light can only do so much damage, and the roughly 25 wasn't enough.

EDIT: Sort of managed to figure it out, you gotta land 3 light spells while he's in the same form to prevent him from switching. Seems like you don't have to kill him with light spells. Not 100% sure though, maybe just got lucky to deal enough damage fast enough. Kinda wish the hints were a bit more clear.

Yeah, 38 AC is a b*tch. Plus CON-sapping poison. And he definitely has some DR.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Glad you guys figured it out. (Also glad it's working, lol.)

@Aus, it's a fine line to walk between having people complain about things being too easy, too hard, too silly, not silly enough, too obvious, not obvious enough, etc., etc. Seriously, I expect that if I had handed the Gremlich info out on a silver platter, people would complain that it was lame. I generally assume that ToEE players are a bit more on the sophisticated side, as if you weren't you'd be playing something phase-based and story rich rather than ToEE. ;)

7. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

I see where you are coming from but I don't really agree with that approach to be honest. The process by which the method for finding and destroying the Gremlich is not an obvious path: talk to one of the guards outside the main hall; talk to Mona; go to the rabbit hole (presume that the player can work out that this place even exists without stumbling upon it by luck, picking up on the Zook hint or endless hours of random searching). And then having the Gremlich actually turn up in a "timely" manner is not guaranteed -- I spent days randomly going from one end of the map to the other but it didn't turn up until the war of the golden skull. Unfortunately, I found the battle to be very inconsistent. On all my attempts I ploughed through flares and searing light spells only to get minced by the regenerating foe. On my final reload I killed it after only a few rounds.

These issues make me feel that the difficulty in finding the solution to defeating the beast should result in an attack method that should yield consistent results based on the method described by Mona. I guess that by this stage in the game, the high quality of the other Co8 content makes the Gremlich "mission" feel a little amateurish by comparison. My 2cents.

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ I don't think it's all that bad, but it could definitely use a bit of tweaking. I think Mona's hint could be a bit more transparent, and Zook should give the exact answer as he does for the other questions, since he's sort of like a secret character. The guard - Mona connection is explicit, but the Rabbit Hole is not obvious.

Or at the very least the walkthrough should have the exact method for those who wish to spoil themselves. The current description in Gazra's guide is rather misleading.

I don't think it's random - you get three warning REs as per classic RPG canon, and then he shows up whenever you arrive somewhere at night. For me that was Nulb, though I heard it can show up in Verbo as well.

EDIT: Anyway, I was hoping to give him another shot, but the guard convo isn't triggering despite Monster Mash being complete. I'm wondering, do I also need the Hextor Rat reputation?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  9. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

I thought the Grelich qwest was great.It really was'nt that hard to figure out(it took me a couple of try's).As per. Gaear's comment about finding a balance between to easy or to hard.I enjoyed the "thought puzzle".As with my own Dm'ing,everything shouldent be a "give me".:thumbsup:

10. Skillhunter

Skillhunter Member

Yeah!

Ich killed the Gremlich a dozen times, too.
    But always it refresh again and again.

Has anyone a tip, how I can beat the Gremlich?

Greetings,

Skillhunter

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The gremlich is a mystical creature of the night and darkness. One can't hope to kill it by conventional means. Un-night, un-dark, hmmm ... :)

12. silo25

silo25 Established Member

try doing this one solo as a monk and you run out of charges on wands!

13. Skillhunter

Skillhunter Member

Sorry, I don't have a monk in my party.

I tried to lure the gremlich to a lighted road, but there still keep the same problem:

The gremlich don't want to die.

I've no more idea.

Greetings

Skillhunter

14. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Skillhunter-
    see Ausdoerrt's edit from July 6
    My experience of/ take on this quest is that the Gremlich has a sort of automatic resurrect feature, and is also a bugger to kill. Hitting it with enough light-based spells (flare, searing light, not sure about others, and not sure about exact requirements in terms of number either) removes the resurrect feature, but still leaves the issue of how to kill it (i.e. land enough hits to reduce it to 0hp). I used Scather for this, I have to say (I assume that I can mention Scather at this stage of proceedings without it being either a spoiler or too cryptic?)

Silo 25 is a veteran with a penchant for solo play (oo'er ;)) and is referring to the difficulty of this quest with only a single monk character, rather than suggesting that a monk is the answer to your woes.

Apologies to all if this is too much info, but it's pretty much all there already upthread.

15. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

I am using max hps,and at 216hp and with SR20,i can't get the spells to work. Flare does not seem to do anything? Faerie fire same. I have both scather and fragie and can't kill it! I use the light spells-scorching ray etc,but the SR kills my attempts.

The spider-off topic with drow is same..SR25 and I think 34AC,hmmm tad hard even if using natural 20s to hit it. had to use fragrach/scather again.

Has to be a legit way to kill these without resorting to uber items.

Oh,ps the sound files for the gremlich are the best i have encountered in all the RPG games,it was darn scarey..lol. What the hell is that sound..aghhh. Appreciate it.

Our Host!