Game Crashes in Earth Node

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maveric28, Dec 21, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. maveric28

maveric28 Member

Okay, what am i doing wrong? Every time I engage in the ridiculously hard battle against the Galeb Duhr in the Earth Node, just about the time that I've managed to kill a few of them, the game crashes on me. Every-bloody-time!! I've tried it at least six times now, with my old system, and a new far faster system (I'd initially thought that the problem was with my system), and the result is always the same. Is there some Fix for this, or is my problem unique...? Don't see how it could be, when the same problem occurs on two different systems.

Help... Me.... Please....

2. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

By "crash" do you mean crash to desktop or merely a freeze? If its a CTD, I don't know what the problem is. If it's a freeze, then it's something pretty common in the nodes. Does it happen when you're scrolling? In all the nodes, I often get freezes while scrolling, especially if I'm moving at the same time and entering newly uncovered area (i.e., I'm removing fog of war somewhere). It helps to move with my keyboard arrow keys. Also, sometimes I can get it back by hitting the window key on my keyboard, then bringing the game back up from the taskbar. Sometimes it just self-corrects if I wait a bit too. Other than that, I don't know.

3. maveric28

maveric28 Member

Crash to Desktop. I used to get freezes as well, but that was on my old system. Sure wish I knew why my poor game hates the Galeb Duhr so much... for that matter, I sure wish I knew what the @#^&* Atari was thinking when they designed that fight!! Good Grief!! DR 15 on each of them, whether you use magic weapons or not, and a fairly impressive Spell Resistance too! The only way I've been able to hold my own is slow them down with Web spells, Stone Spikes spells, Soften Earth & Stone, etc. and then soften them up with Ice Storms and Fireballs before they close to melee range. Even so, they dish out tremendous damage (thank God for Stoneskin spells!), and although I haven't been able to get past this battle (it keeps crashing, remember?) it doesn't sound as if that battle even pays off very well, XP or treasure wise. Is it even worth it?

4. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

There's a pretty nice magic hammer in the chest behind them, but there are better weapons out there. Exp-wise, they aint much.

Still, I actually thought those fights were fun. That's probably because most of my fighters had around a 29-30 AC, over 100 HP, and were still doing 15 damage with even non-critical hits, thanks to enchantments. I did over 70 a couple of times with a cleaver. Heh, they didn't last too long.

Anyway, wait till you go up against the Balor. Ugh.

5. maveric28

maveric28 Member

Where are these Cleavers of which you speak?? Do you mean Fruella's old +1 Cleaver? Or am I missing something?

Our Host!