Game crash

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ShadowDragoon, Feb 4, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Alright, I've got one seriously annoying problem. It's been popping up on and off for a while now, and I've yet to figure out how to fix it.

So, about a week ago, I had uninstalled ToEE (I had incorrectly installed the KotB demo and FUBAR'd my Co8 install). I re-installed it, and got a problem because I forgot to use the Front-End to switch over to the Co8 module before installing the 5.0.3 patch. :p Stupid move on my part. So, I decided to uninstall and re-install the game today.

I pull up the Installation thread to make sure I get everything perfectly right. I finish installing 5.0.0, go into the Front-End, switch over to the Co8 module, install the 5.0.3 patch, Gaear's 'New Movies' pack, and the Portrait & Voice Pack (in reverse order of listed, actually). I go to start up my game with the Front-End 4, disable the intro movies, change to the proper portrait pack, set Max HP per Level for NPCs, and start it in Windowed mode. I also hit the checkbox to clean the game cache on startup. So, I start the game. It goes straight to the loading screen with the blue bar at the bottom. It finishes loading, tries to switch to the startup screen, and dies before I even see the "New Game" button. I tried doing it about three or four times, each doing different things (re-enabling the intro movies, starting in full screen, etc.), and each time it does the exact same thing.

I haven't done anything differently than I usually do... And this isn't the first time it's happened. I usually fix it by re-installing my game, but frankly, I'm getting tired of doing that. I want to know how to fix that without having to go through the whole install process over and over again. Does anybody know what's the problem?

And no, before anybody suggests that, I'm not running Norton. :tombstone

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

So it STARTS to load the Startup screen but fails and CTDs?

No, I've never seen that :scratchhe

3. ShadowDragoon

Even when I used fullscreen mode, it still crashed like that. It's very strange.

Well, it goes through the loading screen, then just as it flashes the loading screen off to start the startup screen, it just dies. No errors or anything. I really don't like the way it acts.

4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Yea... It happens just like that. I had to reinstall
    my game about 30 minutes ago. :p

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

fyi - as a reminder, it is Beta and not a final version *smirk* :p

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Are your video cards' anti-aliasing settings set to 'application controlled?'

7. maggit

Hmm yes... O geez... I remember now... ToEE hates
    anti-aliasing.

8. ShadowDragoon

I went through nearly a year of post-secondary education dealing with computers, and I still have no idea what that means or how to change it. :shame:

I'll see if I can find it somewhere... Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Okay, yeah, I have no clue of how to do this. :sweatdrop

@Krunch: if you're reffering to ToEEFE, then the exact same thing happens when using the version that came with Co8-5.0.0.

EDIT2: Oddly enough, this doesn't affect vanilla ToEE. It runs fine through the Front-End. Maybe it's just a bug with one of the newer updates to 5.0.x?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  9. ShadowDragoon

Alright. I just finished up a little bit of testing. I removed the Co8-5.0.x module from my computer. Then, I re-installed it the whole way through, even to the post-CMF-5.0.3 updates. I got the same problem ocurring. So, I decided to just install the CMF-5.0.3 back over my game file, without putting in the post-CMF-5.0.3 updates, and now it's working alright.

It seems that some of the newer updates aren't meshing correctly. Sorry to bother everybody. I should have tried that before even posting this.

10. maggit

Hmm that would be my armor pack I guess.
    That's strange because I installed everything
    and it works fine now. o_O

11. ShadowDragoon

Definately strange. I've installed all of the updates before, and they work fine...most of the time. I never do anything differently, and it makes up its own mind whether it wants to work or not. :shrug:

12. ShadowDragoon

AHA!! I have found the culprit!

Through a bit of trial-and-error on my part, I figured out what add-on is causing the problems. I installed the updates one at a time, started up ToEEFE, and tried to run the game. Through this long and (slightly) tedious process, I figured out the problem. I installed the modules in the following order: dllfix16.0.3, leather scale fix, long-awaited Furnok fix, long-awaited Sammy fix, Allyx's PhaseSpider, TimedEvent Method Package, maggit's Armor_New, AxThrower's Corsair, maggit's Dwarven_S armor, Ted's protos.zip.

The game stopped booting after Ted's protos.zip. So, there's the problem. I will now go on to AxThrower's protos.rar (which was posted a day or two after Ted's fix), and see if that allows me to boot again.

EDIT: Hmm...AxThrower's change to the protos also causes the error as well. So, back to the CMF-5.0.3's protos. :)

EDIT2: Double Hmm...even after replacing AxThrower's version of the protos.tab with that from the CMF-5.0.3, the game still crashes. Time for a re-install of 5.0.3.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  13. maggit

S_D you do know that my protos in the armor pack
    contain Ted's fixes (or so I think :p)?

14. ShadowDragoon

EDIT: I checked the files, and they're the same size. So yes, they could be the same. But, that doesn't explain why the game crashed only after I put them in in that specific order.

15. maggit

I can't be the same because I had to add those armor
    types to the protos. ;)

Our Host!